Southwestern Academy is a college preparatory boarding/day school providing a structured,individualized and supportive academic environment.
Our goal is to prepare our students to be lifelong learners, critical thinkers, and self-motivated leaders who will impact the global community of the 21st century.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- UCR Southwestern Academy is completely different from conventional schools.Classes have many interactive activities. After classes, extracurricular activities are endless.I also loved field-trips and volunteering in local community projects.Because of the dormitory, students of. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Southwestern Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||8 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||144 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1160||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$19,950|
(Our summer program has different lengths consisting of 12 or 6 week sessions. Shorter sessions may be requested.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$17 million||$24 million|
|Tuition international students||$51,500||$53,975|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$15,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Elena Lopez|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||18|
|Courses||Advanced Math, Calculus, Creative Writing, English literature, Physics, US History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||4||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||7||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Art Association, Campus LIfe Club, Chess Club, Environmental Club, Interact Club, International Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2011 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California, Los Angeles||6|
|University of Virginia||3|
|OTIS College of Art & Design||2|
|Harvey Mudd College||1|
|University of California, Berkley||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- At Southwestern we believe that through small classes, students are better able to meet their true potential. For this reason our average class size is between 9-12 students with a faculty student ratio of 6:1.
- Every effort is made to enroll a well-balanced student body that is representative of the rich ethnic diversity of the U.S. and students from around the world.
- Students can choose to divide their time between our two campuses. Each campus offers challenging classes, a wide range of extracurricular activities, accessible faculty, and distinctly different learning environments. Our San Marino campus is located on an eight acre campus near Pasadena and ten miles from Los Angeles. Our Beaver Creek campus is located on a 180 acre campus between the famous Red Rock canyons of Northern Arizona. In fact we are only fifteen miles from the well known resort area of Sedona.
- "One School, Two Campuses, Two Learning Environments"
- Southwestern Academy accreditations: WASC, TABS, Western Boarding School Association
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Tom and Dick Smothers - Entertainers
- Pete McCloskey - Congressman
- Riki Ellison - Pro football; political action head
- George Ruhlen - Medal of Honor winner
- Nikola Stajszczak - Polish Model
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Southwestern Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 6 miles41 W Santa Clara St.
Arcadia, CA 91007
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 70 students 370 miles255 Squaw Valley Road | P.O. Box 2180
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
(530) 583-86653709-12, PG70
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
The pandemic has upended our lives in ways we never imagined. Heads of school also have been impacted as they try to plan for the future. Concerns about enrolment, community safety, and the school's finances are just a few of their worries.
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.