- Southwestern Academy is a college preparatory boarding/day school providing a structured,individualized and supportive academic environment.
- Our goal is to prepare our students to be lifelong learners, critical thinkers, and self-motivated leaders who will impact the global community of the 21st century.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- UCR Southwestern Academy is completely different from conventional schools.Classes have many interactive activities. After classes, extracurricular activities are endless.I also loved field-trips and volunteering in local community projects.Because of the dormitory, students of. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Southwestern Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||8 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||144 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1160||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$19,950|
(Our summer program has different lengths consisting of 12 or 6 week sessions.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$17 million||$22 million|
|Tuition international students||$51,500||$52,900|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$15,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Elena Lopez|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||18|
|Courses||Advanced Math, Calculus, Creative Writing, English literature, Physics, US History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Soccer, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Campus LIfe Club, Chess Club, Math Forum
Arts and Music Programs:
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Green Life, Junior Statemen of America
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Intramural Sports, Junior Statesmne of America, The Quill
|Year: 2011 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California, Los Angeles||6|
|University of Virginia||3|
|OTIS College of Art & Design||2|
|Harvey Mudd College||1|
|University of California, Berkley||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- At Southwestern we believe that through small classes, students are better able to meet their true potential. For this reason our average class size is between 9-12 students with a faculty student ratio of 6:1.
- Every effort is made to enroll a well-balanced student body that is representative of the rich ethnic diversity of the U.S. and students from around the world.
- Students can choose to divide their time between our two campuses. Each campus offers challenging classes, a wide range of extracurricular activities, accessible faculty, and distinctly different learning environments. Our San Marino campus is located on an eight acre campus near Pasadena and ten miles from Los Angeles. Our Beaver Creek campus is located on a 180 acre campus between the famous Red Rock canyons of Northern Arizona. In fact we are only fifteen miles from the well known resort area of Sedona.
- "One School, Two Campuses, Two Learning Environments"
- Southwestern Academy accreditations: WASC, TABS, Western Boarding School Association
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Tom and Dick Smothers - Entertainers
- Pete McCloskey - Congressman
- Riki Ellison - Pro football; political action head
- George Ruhlen - Medal of Honor winner
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Southwestern Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 6 miles41 W Santa Clara St.
Arcadia, CA 91007
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 80 students 370 miles235 Squaw Valley Road | P.O. Box 2667
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
(530) 583-93933709-12, PG80
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.