St. Margaret's School
Victoria is our province's capital city and features many famous monuments, including Parliament, pictured above. Victoria, British Columbia, Canada is a word-class tourist destination with no shortage of natural and man-made wonders to explore, and no shortage of cultural and recreational activities to enjoy year-round as part of the active 'West Coast lifestyle.'
Our Little Sister / Big Sister Mentorship Program is a longstanding tradition that pairs each young student with an older student at the school. Throughout the year the girls participate in special activities together at the school, build bonds of sisterhood, and benefit from positive role-modeling.
S.A.L.T.S. (Sail and Life Training) is just one of several options for our annual Outweek. A touchstone of our experiential learning program, Outweek engages students aceept challenges and learning outside the classroom for personal, social, and physical development. For one week in September each school year, students learn sailing, ocean canoe and white water kayaking, rock climbing, and more.
We take full advantage of the natural riches that surround us. Yearly trips for both day students and especially our boarding students experiencing Canada for the first time include surfing the 'wild west coast' at Tofino, camping and hiking in the abundant nature reserves around Vancouver Island, and skiing at Mount Washington and Whistler.
SMS Crew takes to the water at nearby Elk Lake. Natural 'facilities' abound in our community from mountains to lakes to forests, it's all part of the West Coast lifestyle.
Swim Team is just one of the many teams our students can join as part of our extensive extracurricular program. SMS's athletic program emphasizes participation as we believe that the sense of belonging to a team and the benefits of embedding life-long wellness skills are something all girls should experience, not just a handful of 'star' athletes.
SMS is located in a safe, park-like setting tucked away in a residential neighbourhood on 22 acres bordering the Blenkinsop valley and lake.
Boarding students share a room and private washroom with one other girl. All our residences have been recently renovated and feature custom woodwork by local craftsman.
- St. Margaret's School (SMS) is an all-girl, day and boarding school located in the city of Victoria, on the scenic west coast of British Columbia, Canada.
- We provide a highly personalized learning experience in an environment where girls are engaged, take risks, gain confidence and discover their passions.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|St. Margaret's School|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||22 acres|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Uniform: red blazer, collared shirt, and tartan kilt (suit pants, sweaters and summer skirt options))
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||6|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
(North American Students (BC students = $37,100))
($12,800 - 16,380 Fees vary by age and nationality. For a full explanation contact us or visit our website https://www.stmarg.ca/admissions/tuition-scholarships)
|Tuition international students||$47,400|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$4,800|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Kathy Charleson|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Jennifer van Hardenberg|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|Total Advanced Courses Offered||6|
|Courses||AP Calculus (AB), AP English Literature and Composition, AP Exam Prep Courses, AP Human Geography, AP Studio Art|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||31 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Conversation Club, Glee Club, Grad / Events, Green Club, Intramural Sports, Math Challengers, Math Competition Club, Outreach Club, Peer Helpers, Peer Tutoring, Spanish Language and Culture Club, Steering Committee, Student Council, Tech Girls / Robotics, Translation, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Rockband
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Aquatics, Badminton Club, Basketball Club, Cross Country, Dance Club, Debate Club, Gold Club, Rowing, Sailing, Soccer, Tennis Club, TriClub / Triathlon, Volleyball
|Year: 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Victoria||16|
|University of Toronto||10|
|Simon Fraser University (Vancouver)||5|
|University of British Columbia (Vancouver)||5|
|Fraser International College (Vancouver)||4|
|University of Western Ontario (London)||4|
|McGill University (Montreal)||3|
|New York University||1|
|University of California (LA)||1|
- Visit us virtually by watching our campus tour video: https://youtu.be/POr4h6lvyjk
- Little grisl with dreams become women of vision. Watch our video starring the confident girls of SMS: https://youtu.be/0YrLPVx5xEs
- Highly personalized learning experience: every student is encouraged to stretch herself, but each student is provided with the individual support and challenges she needs to thrive.
- Teachers who know how girls learn best and use classroom techniques that draw on their strengths to make learning interesting.
- An extensive extracurricular program that offers every student opportunities to take on new challenges and leadership roles in all areas of school life.
- A student population that includes girls from around the world, fostering international awareness and friendships that span the globe.
- Outstanding International English Language (IEL) Program that prepares students to transition into the regular English program, graduate with their peers and succeed in a post-secondary environment.
- School accreditations: Canadian Accredited Independent Schools (CAIS), Independent Schools Association of BC (ISABC), BC Ministry of Education
- Submit Review for St. Margaret's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 958 students 2.7 miles3400 Richmond Road
January 16, 2018
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
January 16, 2018
Sending your son or daughter to a progressive school sounds like a real leap of faith. It is, that is, until you look more closely at the kind of education your child will receive. Then you will understand the idealism in action which progressive schools embody.
January 16, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.