The Leelanau School - Review #1
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||Western Michigan University|
|Home Town, State (Country)||West Bloomfield, MI|
|Years Attended Boarding School||2|
|Activities During Boarding School||I played golf, basketball, baseball, I was an avid participant in theater. I was senior class president, and prefect in the dorms. I also won the Marge Standon drama award.|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
The setting of this school is absolutely amazing, sitting between the sleeping bear dunes with the crystal river running through campus. The small class sizes and small school size is a plus.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
It was a great experience.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
I would recommend keeping your mouth shut for the first few hours - you will regret the nonsense lies you tell trying to impress your new friends because they will never let you live them down...be yourself don't try to be who you think these new kids want you to be...learn to love Ramen Noodles!
4.) What did you like most about your school?
I loved being close to my home in detroit, and I loved the area i was in.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
Kindall hall is the best place to live, i would recommend the cream cheese filled pretzels at the snack bar. do not forget to check out the observatory on lake Michigan's shore line, its worth the trip alone.
1.) Describe the athletics at your school - what did you like most about it?
The athletics at my school were mandatory when I went there you had to play a competitive sport all year long, or participate in a program called Footsteps where you would go hiking, biking, canoing, and activities like that.
1.) Describe the arts program at your school - what did you like most about it?
There is a great arts building and an art gallery. As i mentioned before the theater program is amazing, there is also a school band named "Mighty Snappy" with faculty and students (it is a jazz band).
1.) Describe the dining arrangements at your school.
Buffet style food, though on the weekends you can go right into the kitchen and order any kind of eggs you want. . . there is no assigned seating which is nice - they try to change up the food as much as possible, but I have yet to have cafeteria food that is that great.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
Small town so there really is not much going on, 3 restaurants, a grocery store and a gas station; during the summer it gets packed due to all the "fudges" thats what we call people who travel up north because they are always looking for Macanaw fudge.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
Lots of time to hang out with your friends on the beach, or the library. there is a place called the KAC witch has a TV and snack bar witch opens every night after study hall.
|7:30 AM||wake up|
|8:30 AM||town meating|
|1:15 PM||classes resum|
|2:45 PM||schools over|
|7:45 PM||study hall|
|12:00 AM||wake up|
|12:30 AM||grub out in the dinning hall|
|3:00 PM||go to town, or to traverse city|
|5:00 PM||dinner, movies, relax, home work|
|11:45 PM||lights out., . . even thou you can still dick around in your dorm|
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Western Michigan University The setting of this school is absolutely amazing, sitting between the sleeping bear dunes with the crystal river running through campus. The small class sizes and small school size is a plus. . .
- Wayne State University I believe there are many different aspects of this school that make it unique. The small class size, the location, the access to teachers, and the hands-on approach to education and the variety of. . .
- KVCC Leelanau is a small school situated in the woodlands of Northern Michigan. It has an intimate atmosphere and very peaceful setting. . .
- Oakland Community College Students come to boarding schools for all different reasons. College prep, life experience, broken homes, etc. I was failing in the public school system. I was just a number. Boarding school was not my choice. . .
- Olivet College There is no doubt Leelanau located in the Sleeping Bear National Dunes is an incredible place to learn and be lucky enough to go to school. The school is amazing and do not take. . .
October 24, 2017
How to handle five basic challenges involved in choosing a boarding school.
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.