The Gunnery Photo #2 - The Gunnery's sports program cultivates competition and cooperation in the context of organized athletics. This is a tradition that stretches back, unbroken, to Mr. Gunn's era. A staunch advocate of physical fitness, he created the school's first athletic teams. Currently, 36 Gunnery teams compete in 15 sports.
The Gunnery Photo #3 - Gunnery students are actively involved in a challenging educational experience. The traditional college preparatory curriculum with graduation requirements in English, mathematics, science, language, art, ethics and public speaking encourages every student to develop a commitment to life-long learning.
The Gunnery Photo #4 - The Gunnery offers a wide range of activities for students interested in music. Instrumental performers can participate in the Jazz Ensemble, the Chamber Ensemble. Vocalists can participate in The Gunnery Troubadours, where students learn vocal technique and ensemble singing. Solo concerts each term allow the student to apply what they have learned in a performance setting.
The Gunnery Photo #5 - The Gunnery is a school that is proudly small in scale but large in offerings, and you’ll find that we offer the same range of Advanced Placement courses found at much larger schools in a setting where the individual attention you’ll receive in those classes is much greater.
The Gunnery Photo #6 - The drama program at The Gunnery offers a range of electives to the interested student, including classes in Acting, Scene Study, and Technical Theater. In addition, The Gunnery Drama Society presents two productions each year - typically a play in the fall and a musical in the winter, providing opportunities for actors, singers, dancers, stage managers, and stage crew.
The Gunnery Photo #7 - The visual arts program at The Gunnery offers a wide range of high quality experiences to the interested student. Students have the opportunity to submit materials to the Advanced Placement Studio Art Exam if they complete the requisite amount of work. We also offer developmental courses in photography, ceramics, drawing, art history, painting, and graphic design.
- Founded in 1850 by abolitionist, individualist and outdoorsman Frederick Gunn, The Gunnery is a coeducational college preparatory boarding and day school for students in grades 9 through 12/post-graduate. The Gunnery`s 220 acre campus is tucked away in the historic town of Washington in the rolling hills of Western Connecticut.Dedicated teacher-mentor-coaches challenge students to reach their full potential in a home-like setting where character and citizenship are valued as much as intellect and achievement. Individualized attention and high expectations help young learners develop not only the skills and confidence they will need in college, but also the moral compass and love of learning that will serve them well in life. The school attracts ambitious, academically curious students who will both shine as unique individuals and thrive as contributing members of a deeply connected community. By the time they graduate, Gunnery students have become well rounded, grounded young adults with a sharpened sense of who they are and who they want to become.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Cornell University The Gunnery is unique in its approach to learning and growth. I had never before and never since experienced an environment that was so meticulously tailored to the individual student. From the moment you arrive. . .
- University Of Rochester What really sets The Gunnery apart from other schools is the tightly knit community. It is very easy to (and impossible not to) find yourself developing close relationships with faculty members and students alike. During. . .
- University of Pennsylvania I initially chose the Gunnery as my high school because of its location. After my first visit to the school, I knew I would enjoy being amongst the rolling hills of Litchfield County, hiking and. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Gunnery||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||220 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||288 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$21 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||50%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Alexandra Ince|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|Courses||A.P. Art Studio, A.P. Biology, A.P. Calculus AB, A.P. Calculus BC, A.P. Chemistry, A.P. Computer Science, A.P. Economics, A.P. English Language, A.P. English Literature, A.P. Environmental Science, A.P. French Language, A.P. Music Theory, A.P. Physics 1, A.P. Physics 2, A.P. Spanish Language, A.P. Statistics, A.P. U.S. Government, A.P. World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||19||24|
|Extracurriculars||Year Book- The Red and Gray|
Club or Organization:
Alphabet, Crossroads, FBLA, Free Thought Society, Green Club, Gunn Society, Highlander Ringers, International Club, Mathletes, Model UN, One World, Peer Support, Student Activites Council, Students for School Action, Translation Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Chorale, Private Music Lessons
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ultimate Frisbee Club
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- MISSION STATEMENT In 1850 Frederick Gunn established a school based on the belief that strength of character was the goal of education. Today, The Gunnery rests on the four cornerstones of character: scholarship, integrity, respect and responsibility. Character is forged in a cohesive, diverse community informed by a challenging college preparatory curriculum, a broad range of athletic, artistic and social activities and a faculty of scholars and committed educators dedicated to the intellectual and ethical development of every student. A Gunnery graduate is a broadly educated, socially responsible citizen with tested beliefs, strength of character and the courage to act on convictions.
- The Gunnery accreditations: TABS, NAIS, CAIS, NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Dr. David Abala '73 - Dr. Abala works for Duke University Medical Center where he specializes with prostate cancer. He works with the di Vinci Surgical Robot which is minimally invasive and offers patients an alternative to major surgery. For more visit our website!
- James Perse '91 - After graduating James persued fashion design, manufacturing, and merchandising and is known as a rising star in the world of designer clothing. In '96 he started his own buisness, James Perse Enterprises, Inc. For more visit our website!
- Sarah Scheel Cook '82 - Sarah is the Director of Quality Assurance for the Schwans Food Company, Bakery Division. Sarah and her staff ensure the food products meet all safety standards on both the state and national level. For more visit our website!
- George Grande '64 - A 35 year old veteran of the broadcasting business, George has been the sports announcer for the Cincinnati Reds on Fox Sports Net Ohio since '93. He has covered MLB since '65 and has been broadcasting MLB since '89. For more visit our website!
- Jesse Soffer '02 - Jesse Soffer graduated from The Gunnery in 2002 and went on to act on the popular day time show, As The World Turns.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Gunnery
- School Location Miles Grades Students
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
What makes some schools really better than others? What makes them the best schools?