The Hotchkiss School
- The Hotchkiss School is an independent boarding school located in Lakeville, Connecticut.
- Founded in 1891, the School provides an education of unsurpassed quality to 600 students in grades 9 through 12, and to a small number of post-graduates.
- Students at Hotchkiss come from across the United States and 36 foreign countries.
- Graduates attend many of the most selective universities and colleges.
- The Hotchkiss School strives to develop in students a lifelong love of learning, responsible citizenship, and personal integrity.
- The School is committed to mastery of learning skills, development of intellectual curiosity, excellence, and creativity in all disciplines, and enthusiastic participation in athletics and other school activities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- NYU Hotchkiss's campus had TWO ice hockey rinks and we also have a legendary field hockey team. Our Varsity Field Hockey team won the New England Championships 10 years in a row and then two years. . .
- University of Michigan Hotchkiss is a medium-sized (approximately 600 students), New England boarding school nestled snugly in the hills of rustic Northwestern Connecticut. The school sits on the beautiful Lake Wononskopomuc, on which its highly accomplished sailing team. . .
- University of Notre Dame Hotchkiss is a great institution. While I, like many boarding school students, have a love hate relationship with the school, it gave me more gifts than I can ever repay. Our school is taught under. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
The Hotchkiss School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 324 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|The Hotchkiss School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||5-12|
|Campus Size||810 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||605 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1407||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1340 - 1510||-|
|Average ACT score||31||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||22||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$488.4 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$48,215||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||85%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Erby Mitchell|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||22||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus (AB), AP Calculus (BC), AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language, AP Economics (macro), AP Economics (micro), AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language, AP French Literature, AP German Language, AP Government & Politics (Comparative), AP Latin (Vergil), AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||38||23|
|Extracurriculars||Cum Laude Society, Debating Team, Dialogue Society, Diversity Council, Dramat, Eastern European Exonians, Economics Club, Environmental Groups, EPIIC (Education for Public Inquiry and International Citizenship), ESSO, Exeter Association of Rock (E.A.R.), Exeter Club Against Landmines, Exeter Fantasy Sports, Exeter Historians, Exeter Jewish Community, Exonians, Exonians Partnering with Incarcarcerated Teens, Got That Swing, Harold Ryan Society, Hindu Society, Hong Kong Students Association, Imani, Indian Society, International Society, Irish Exonians, Islamic Society, Japan-America Society, Jazz Club, Kirtland Society, L.E.A.D., La Alianza Latina, Les Pieds (People Interesting in Exeter Dance), Los Salseros, Martial Arts Club, Math/Science Tutoring, Mathematics Discussion Group/PEA Math Team, Middle Eastern Students Alliance, Society for Public Speaking (SPS, includes Debate, Model UN, Model Congress)|
- The Hotchkiss School was founded 1891, establishing a tradition of academic excellence in a small-school community with a large-school diversity. Hotchkiss strives to develop in students a lifelong love of learning, responsible citizenship, and personal integrity. The School is a community based on trust, mutual respect, and compassion, and it holds all members of the community accountable for upholding these values. The School is committed to mastery of learning skills, development of intellectual curiosity, excellence, and creativity in all disciplines, and enthusiastic participation in athletics and other school activities. The School encourages students to develop clarity of thought, confidence and facility in expressing ideas, and artistic and aesthetic sensitivity. In and out of the classroom, all members of the community are expected to subject their views and actions to critical examination and to accept responsibility for them. The School hopes that graduates will leave Hotchkiss with a commitment to environmental stewardship and service to others and with a greater understanding of themselves and of their roles in a global society.
- The Hotchkiss School accreditations: NAIS/CAIS/ TABS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Hotchkiss School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
We explore the reasons why you should send your child to boarding school
The International Baccalaureate® Diploma Programme offers a rigorous, disciplined approach to college preparation studies. We answer common questions about the IB.