The Hotchkiss School
The Hotchkiss School is an independent boarding school located in Lakeville, Connecticut.
Founded in 1891, the School provides an education of unsurpassed quality to 600 students in grades 9 through 12, and to a small number of post-graduates.
Students at Hotchkiss come from across the United States and 36 foreign countries.
Graduates attend many of the most selective universities and colleges.
The Hotchkiss School strives to develop in students a lifelong love of learning, responsible citizenship, and personal integrity.
The School is committed to mastery of learning skills, development of intellectual curiosity, excellence, and creativity in all disciplines, and enthusiastic participation in athletics and other school activities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- NYU Hotchkiss's campus had TWO ice hockey rinks and we also have a legendary field hockey team. Our Varsity Field Hockey team won the New England Championships 10 years in a row and then two years. . .
- University of Michigan Hotchkiss is a medium-sized (approximately 600 students), New England boarding school nestled snugly in the hills of rustic Northwestern Connecticut. The school sits on the beautiful Lake Wononskopomuc, on which its highly accomplished sailing team. . .
- University of Notre Dame Hotchkiss is a great institution. While I, like many boarding school students, have a love hate relationship with the school, it gave me more gifts than I can ever repay. Our school is taught under. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
The Hotchkiss School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 306 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|The Hotchkiss School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||810 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||612 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Formal dress code required at times)
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$463 million||$23 million|
(inclusive of technology & health services fees)
(inclusive of technology & health services fees)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$50,319|
(100% of demonstrated need met)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Erby Mitchell|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||n/a||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus (AB), AP Calculus (BC), AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language, AP Economics (macro), AP Economics (micro), AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language, AP French Literature, AP German Language, AP Government & Politics (Comparative), AP Latin (Vergil), AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Hotchkiss School was founded 1891, establishing a tradition of academic excellence in a small-school community with a large-school diversity. Hotchkiss strives to develop in students a lifelong love of learning, responsible citizenship, and personal integrity. The School is a community based on trust, mutual respect, and compassion, and it holds all members of the community accountable for upholding these values. The School is committed to mastery of learning skills, development of intellectual curiosity, excellence, and creativity in all disciplines, and enthusiastic participation in athletics and other school activities. The School encourages students to develop clarity of thought, confidence and facility in expressing ideas, and artistic and aesthetic sensitivity. In and out of the classroom, all members of the community are expected to subject their views and actions to critical examination and to accept responsibility for them. The School hopes that graduates will leave Hotchkiss with a commitment to environmental stewardship and service to others and with a greater understanding of themselves and of their roles in a global society.
- The Hotchkiss School accreditations: NAIS/CAIS/TABS/NEASC/CSDE
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Hotchkiss School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Families who live outside the United States and who are not American citizens or Permanent Residents have to deal with a couple of additional steps when thinking of sending their children to an American boarding school.
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
Are you wondering whether boarding school is right for your child? Answer these five questions and you will be better able to determine whether it is.