The Kildonan School
All Kildonan students receive one-to-one Orton-Gillingham tutoring as part of their daily academic schedule.
Sports are an important part of the Kildonan day. Students can choose to participate in a competitive sport or an individual activity (e.g., mountain biking, fitness, horseback riding).
Every Wednesday afternoon, students participate in 'Project Impact' during which they choose ways in which to give back to the community.
Kildonan is located in Amenia, NY, about 90 miles north of NYC. The campus is 350-acres, in a rural setting in the foothills of the Berkshire mountains.
- The Kildonan School is a leading co-educational boarding and day school for students with dyslexia and/or language-based learning differences, grades 2-12 and PG. Located two hours north of Manhattan on a beautiful 150-acre campus, it offers daily 1:1 Orton-Gillingham tutoring and a competitive curriculum, which includes integrated assistive technology, athletics, and the arts.
- The inquiry-based subject matter curriculum provides interdisciplinary, active, collaborative learning for all students with a small class size and Orton-Gillingham-trained faculty.
- Students in grades 11 and 12 can choose to study in a year-long Independent Project of their design.
- Kildonan graduates have a 100% college acceptance rate. Dunnabeck at Kildonan is the oldest established summer camp for kids with dyslexia.
- Established in 1955 to meet the needs of intelligent children who are underachieving or failing in their academic work because of dyslexia, it offers children a fun, educational experience centered around daily one-to-one OG tutoring.
- The recreational programs (e.g. horseback riding, arts & crafts, water-skiing) enable students to work hard without feeling deprived of a summer.
- Dunnabeck at Kildonan provides an individualized, enjoyable experience enabling each student to return from his or her summer to find success in school, some for the first time.
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|The Kildonan School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||2-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||150 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||80 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
|Average Class Size||8 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:3||1:7|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||5||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1 million||$16 million|
(5 day boarding 67,000)
(Grades 2-5 $39,9000 6-12,PG $51,000)
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$23,500||$22,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Mimi Babcock|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||10||23|
|Extracurriculars||Community Service Club, Dorm Prefect System, Horseback Riding, Music, Project Eye-to-Eye, Ski and Snowboard Program, Student Council, Student Leadership, Theater, Two- and three-dimensional art|
|Year: 2011 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Colorado Mountain College||1|
|Colorado State University||1|
|Davis and Elkins||1|
|New England College||1|
|Roger Williams University||1|
- The Kildonan School is a coeducational day and boarding school (5 and 7 day boarding options) for students with dyslexia and/or language-based learning differences (grades 2-12,PG). Kildonan's mission is to empower students by increasing self-esteem and motivation. Each student receives daily one-to-one Orton-Gillingham tutoring. In addition, Kildonan offers small, college-preparatory classes, assistive technolgy program, extensive artistic opportunities, and competitive sports teams. Kildonan graduates have a 100% college acceptance rate. Dunnabeck at Kildonan is the oldest established summer camp for kids with dyslexia. Established in 1955 to meet the needs of intelligent children who are underachieving or failing in their academic work because of dyslexia, it offers children a fun, educational experience centered around daily one-to-one OG tutoring. The recreational programs (e.g. horseback riding, arts & crafts, water-skiing) enable students to work hard without feeling deprived of a summer. Dunnabeck at Kildonan provides an individualized, enjoyable experience enabling each student to return from his or her summer to find success in school, some for the first time.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia, language-based learning differences
- School accreditations: NYSAIS, AOGPE, TABS
Submit Review for The Kildonan School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 126 students 70.2 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
Grades: 7-12, PG| 440 students 93.4 miles18 Goodfriend Drive
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
East Hampton, NY 11937
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Grades: 8-12, PG | 180 students 40 miles314 Mountain Road
Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520
August 17, 2017
As you consider sending your child off to boarding school, you have concerns. Every parent does. We address some of those concerns for you.
August 16, 2017
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
August 05, 2017
Boarding schools are a subset of private schools which many people don't know much about. Here are five points to ponder as you research boarding schools.