The Northwest School
The Northwest School Photo #2 - We believe that students who have been truly engaged by a community of scholars, artists, and international peers will graduate with an insatiable love of learning, a respect for diverse opinions and beliefs, the knowledge to navigate critical and complex ideas.
The Northwest School Photo #3 - We are a school that fosters a love of and respect of ideas, and a place that teaches its students to think and synthesize. This is most evident in our Humanities programs. Using original source materials and works of classical and contemporary literature this series of courses connects history, literature, philosophy, political science and history.
The Northwest School Photo #4 - We challenge students to both think and pursue possibilities as if they were working scientists. Through open-ended lab work, our students discover multiple ways to explore and test concepts, and, most importantly, learn how to frame relevant and productive questions.
The Northwest School Photo #5 - We provide a comprehensive math program with highly traditional curriculum and strong foundational elements. Students are encouraged to engage in a broad spectrum of mathematics classes, from Algebra to Advanced Calculus and Statistics.
The Northwest School Photo #6 - We have always believed that incorporating art into every area of study deepens both learning and joy. This is the way students retain their creative essence as they venture into adult lives.
The Northwest School Photo #7 - Northwest is known for hiring practicing artists as teachers. Our faculty exhibit in galleries and major art shows, publish poetry and photography books, direct professional theatre productions, and perform music at Tula's and Benaroya Hall.
The Northwest School Photo #8 - Teamwork, dedication, discipline, and sportsmanship are at the core of our athletics program. We provide athletic opportunities for all with varsity and junior varsity teams in basketball, cross country, soccer, track and field, volleyball, and Ultimate Frisbee.
The Northwest School Photo #9 - While we enjoy a well-earned reputation for fair play, we are equally proud of our significant achievements in interscholastic competition, including more than 40 tournament, league, state, and national championships.
The Northwest School is a co-ed, middle and high school with a student population of about 500 students.
Located in downtown Seattle, The Northwest School offers a college preparatory experience grounded in vigorous study. Its challenging curriculum teaches students to discover the connections between historic, scientific, and artistic fields of knowledge. The school has a national reputation as a vibrant intellectual community and has been recognized by the US Department of Education as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.
More informaion in Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Indonesian, Korean, Vietnamese, Russian, Japanese, Portuguese, and Turkish can be found here>>>>
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|The Northwest School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||2 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||460 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1340||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1210 - 1470||-|
|Average ACT score||28||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||16 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$9 million||$23 million|
(Boarding fee $19,105 Includes room and board )
($46,585 Includes tuition ($44,560), lunch ($1,450), health insurance ($575))
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$27,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Dec. 11 / Feb. 12 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||79%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Michelle Sanchez|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||n/a||18|
|Courses||Advanced Calculus, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Drawing, Advanced English Composition, Advanced Photography, Advanced Spanish|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||6||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||11||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Asian Art Club, Badminton Club, Black Student Union, GLAM, Habitat for Humanity, International Student Union, Math Club, Model UN, Outdoor Program, Programming Interest Group, The Cooking Space
|Year: 2015 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Washington||35|
|Western Washington University||18|
|University of Redland||8|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Northwest School campus is anchored in the historic Capitol Hill neighborhood of downtown Seattle. The school`s urban campus is surrounded by many art studios, museums, concert halls and theaters. The campus is just a few minutes` walk from the shore of the Pacific Ocean, famous Pike Place Market, the first Starbucks coffee shop, the Paramount Theater, the Pacific Science Center, the Space Needle and many other cultural landmarks and recreational activities.
- The Northwest School is the only school in Seattle with a co-ed international boarding program. The school`s dormitory located on campus offers a safe environment in which faculty and students work together to create a community that supports personal growth. The faculty help students gain communication, conflict resolution, and academic skills, while living together in a joyful, vibrant learning community.
- The Northwest School`s unique interdisciplinary program of studies consist of an integrated humanities program, applied mathematics, science, language study, visual and performing arts experiences, and athletic competition. The school offers 55 art courses in Dance, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts taught by professional artists. It fields 30 teams in Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball, Cross Country, Track and Field, and Ultimate Frisbee.
- Graduates of The Northwest School attend some of the top universities in the nation and abroad. Every year representatives from more than 100 colleges and universities from across the United States visit the school to recruit NWS students. All school`s graduates are admitted to universities and colleges.
- NWS students are actively engaged in sports, the arts, community projects, and outdoor activities. The Northwest School provides many opportunities for students to experience the natural environment beyond the city, through sea kayaking, rock climbing, skiing, hiking, biking and camping. The Outdoor Program offers a schedule of day and weekend-long trips throughout the year.
- The Northwest School accreditations: NWAIS, NAIS, TABS, NSLA, PBC, NBOA, DIEN, the National Summer Learning Association
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Emmett Shear - American internet entrepreneur and investor. He is the co-founder of live video platforms Justin.tv and TwitchTV. He is the Chief executive officer of Twitch.  He's also a part-time partner at venture capital firm Y Combinator. Shear is also co-foun
- Stone Gossard - Musician, co-founder of American rock band Pearl Jam.
- Liz Mair - Political strategist
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Northwest School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Families who live outside the United States and who are not American citizens or Permanent Residents have to deal with a couple of additional steps when thinking of sending their children to an American boarding school.
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
Are you wondering whether boarding school is right for your child? Answer these five questions and you will be better able to determine whether it is.