The Oxford Academy
The Oxford Academy is a selective private boarding school for boys located in Westbrook, Connecticut on the shores of Long Island Sound.
Oxford Academy offers a one-to-one, customized college preparatory curriculum for each student. Oxford Academy's 23 teachers meet students where they are in their education, helping them develop a solid repretoire of skills and strategies while they prepare for college. Customized programs are designed with consideration for strengths, challenges and areas of high interest. Many Oxford Academy students benefit from both support and the opportunity to accelerate in their learning.
- Grades: (Boarding) 8-12, PG
- Students: 45 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $82,000
- Acceptance rate: 70%
- Average class size: 1 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
The Oxford Academy ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 308 schools) for:
Definition of Terms | 2021 School Data
The Oxford Academy
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
% Students of Color
% International Students
% Students Boarding
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Frequency of Saturday Classes
Classroom Dress Code
Average Class Size
* National Avg. »18
Student : Teacher Ratio
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
ESL Courses Offered
% Faculty with Advanced Degree
Summer Program Offered
Summer Program Details
Summer Program Cost
% Students on Financial Aid
Avg. Financial Aid Grant
Merit Scholarships Offered
None / Rolling
Director of Admissions
Associate Director of Admissions
Total Extracurricular Organizations
Year: 2015 - 2021
10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)
School of Visual Arts
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
New York Univeristy
George Mason University
- - Oxford athletics offers competitive sports in soccer, basketball and tennis. Students also participate in intramural sports, fitness and Ox Outdoors, an experiential outdoor program.
- - Oxford students provide community service including: reading to elementary students, beach clean ups and volunteering for the local non profits in Westbrook, Connecticut
- - The beach is a short walk from campus and a popular destination during free time where the boys fish, swim, sail and relax
- LD types supported: ADHD, Executive Function, Twice Exceptional, Dyslexia, mild learning differences
- The Oxford Academy accreditations: NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Lachlan Markay - Political Report, Axios Former reporter, Daily Beast
- Michael Armand Hammer - Owner, Hammer Galleries, Hammer Productions & Philanthropist
- Robert Allbritton - Founder, Capitol News Company and Politico
- Julian Ungano - Award-winning filmmaker, photographer, creative director
- Takuro Nishimura - President of Nittaku Real Estate
- Fabien Cousteau - Aquanaut, Ocean Conservationist, Documentary Filmmaker. Ted Talk titled “What I learned from spending 31 days underwater”.
- Rob Howland - Designer, Programmer, and Producer Founder of Three Flip Studios, a video game production company
Profile last updated: 02/04/2022
Want To Teach In A Boarding School?
Teaching in a boarding school is the same as teaching in a public school, right? Not exactly. Some explanations here.
Academics: Advanced Placement
As part of your evaluation of boarding schools, you will examine the academics. We look at one aspect of what many schools teach, namely, Advanced Placement courses.
Are You Looking At The Wrong Schools?
By "wrong schools", I mean schools that don't fit your needs and requirements. Finding the "right school' implies that the school meets 99% of what you require. More here.