The Pennington School
112 West Delaware Avenue
Pennington, NJ 08534
Pennington, NJ 08534
Tel: (609) 737-6128
- The Pennington School is an independent coeducational school for students in grades 6 through 12, in both day and boarding programs, with a current enrollment of 510 students.
- The curriculum is college preparatory, with an emphasis on fostering the development of the whole student through academics, athletics, community service, and the creative and performing arts.
- Within the curriculum there are also small programs for international students and for students with learning differences.
- Founded in 1838, Pennington values both tradition and innovation, applying the values gleaned from centuries of learning, along with the most up-to-date knowledge to a rapidly changing world.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|The Pennington||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Religious Affiliation||United Methodist||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||54 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||520 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1220||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||20||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$41 million||$22 million|
|Tuition international students||$58,900||$52,900|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$30,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Sharon Jarboe|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Lynn Zahn|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Water Polo, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||42||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academe (literary magazine), African American Awareness Association, All Students in Action Now, Conduct Review Board, Council for Liberals and Democrats, Crew Team, Cult Movies, Junior Proctors, Latin American Council, Literary Arts Magazine - Gallimaufry, Maiden Voyage, Mentoring, Open Art Studio, Peer Leaders, Pennington Sports Network, Prism, School Newspaper - Crane-Clarion, Science/Outing, Scuba, Service Learning Club, Sketch Class, Sports Weekly Magazine - Cranes Illustrated, Student Council, Technology Student Association, United People of Many Colors, Yearbook, Yearkbook Staff, Youth Service Fellowship
Arts and Music Programs:
Asian Magazine - Quilt Club, Blues Pop Rock Ensemble, Chamber, Computer Team, Dramatic Society, Flight Program, Literary Magazine, Pennington Singers, Presidents Council, Residence Halls Councils, Tae Kwon Do, Vocal Jazz, Womentors
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2009 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart and William Smith Colleges||10|
|New York University||7|
|Carnegie Mellon University||6|
- The Pennington School is an independent, coeducational school serving day and boarding students in grades 6 through 12. The Pennington School offers a college preparatory curriculum with honors and AP classes, an ESL program for international students, and the Center for Learning.
- Members of The Pennington School community believe: - Every individual has inherent value. - Each individual has unique potential that can be developed. - Diversity enriches a community. - All life experiences are opportunities to learn. - Learning is an ongoing process. - All people are responsible for and to one another. - Character development is integral to responsible citizenship. - All people should treat each other and each other's religious traditions with respect.
- The Pennington School seeks to enroll students of good character and demonstrated citizenship who enjoy being part of a community that welcomes and encourages the participation of each of its members. Students should have strong academic ability and should be seeking to build a record of personal achievements appropriate for college admission.
- LD types supported: Language-based learning differences .
- The Pennington School accreditations: Middle States, TABS, NAIS, NJAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Dontae Johnson '10 - Cornerback in the NFL for the Seattle Seahawks
- Michael Lee Brown '11 - Cast member for the Broadway show, "Dear Evan Hansen"
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Pennington School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.