The Pennington School
- The Pennington School is an independent coeducational school for students in grades 6 through 12, in both day and boarding programs, with a current enrollment of 510 students.
- The curriculum is college preparatory, with an emphasis on fostering the development of the whole student through academics, athletics, community service, and the creative and performing arts.
- Within the curriculum there are also small programs for international students and for students with learning differences.
- Founded in 1838, Pennington values both tradition and innovation, applying the values gleaned from centuries of learning, along with the most up-to-date knowledge to a rapidly changing world.
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|The Pennington||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Religious Affiliation||United Methodist||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||54 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||520 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1700||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1470 - 1890||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||20||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$36 million||$17 million|
(Middle School Day Tuition - $35, 750)
|Tuition international students||$58,125||$47,000|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$23,000||$22,410|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Sharon Jarboe|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Lynn Zahn|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Water Polo, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||42||23|
|Extracurriculars||All Students in Action Now, Blues Pop Rock Ensemble, Bowling Club, Campus Guides, Chamber, Chess Club, Community Service Club, Dramatic Society, Environment Club, Fall Play, Female Vocal Ensemble, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), German Club, Hip Hop Club, History Club, Jazz Club, Junior Proctors, Literary Magazine, Math Club, Mock Trial, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Orchestra,|
|Year: 2009 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart and William Smith Colleges||10|
|New York University||7|
|Carnegie Mellon University||6|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Pennington School is an independent, coeducational school serving day and boarding students in grades 6 through 12. The Pennington School offers a college preparatory curriculum with honors and AP classes, an ESL program for international students, and the Center for Learning.
- Members of The Pennington School community believe: - Every individual has inherent value. - Each individual has unique potential that can be developed. - Diversity enriches a community. - All life experiences are opportunities to learn. - Learning is an ongoing process. - All people are responsible for and to one another. - Character development is integral to responsible citizenship. - All people should treat each other and each other's religious traditions with respect.
- The Pennington School seeks to enroll students of good character and demonstrated citizenship who enjoy being part of a community that welcomes and encourages the participation of each of its members. Students should have strong academic ability and should be seeking to build a record of personal achievements appropriate for college admission.
- LD types supported: Language-based learning differences .
- School accreditations: Middle States, TABS, NAIS, NJAIS
- Submit Review for The Pennington School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG| 635 students 5.8 miles176 Edgerstoune Road
6-12, PG (day)
Princeton, NJ 08540
6-12, PG (day)
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.