The Pennington School
- The Pennington School is an independent coeducational school for students in grades 6 through 12, in both day and boarding programs, with a current enrollment of 510 students.
- The curriculum is college preparatory, with an emphasis on fostering the development of the whole student through academics, athletics, community service, and the creative and performing arts.
- Within the curriculum there are also small programs for international students and for students with learning differences.
- Founded in 1838, Pennington values both tradition and innovation, applying the values gleaned from centuries of learning, along with the most up-to-date knowledge to a rapidly changing world.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Pennington||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Religious Affiliation||United Methodist||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||54 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||520 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1220||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||20||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$41 million||$19 million|
(Middle School Day Tuition - $36, 800)
|Tuition international students||$58,900||$48,850|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$30,000||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Sharon Jarboe|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Lynn Zahn|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Water Polo, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||42||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
All Students in Action Now, Campus Guides, Chess Club, Community Service Club, Environment Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), German Club, Hip Hop Club, History Club, Junior Proctors, Math Club, Mock Trial, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Peer Leaders, Pennington Sports Network, Residential Proctors, Science Olympiad, Spanish Club, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Sustainability Club, Technology Club, United People of Many Colors, Yearbook, Youth Service Fellowship
Arts and Music Programs:
Blues Pop Rock Ensemble, Chamber, Dramatic Society, Fall Play, Female Vocal Ensemble, Jazz Club, Literary Magazine, Orchestra, Pennington Singers, Spring Play, Stage Crew, Visual Arts Club, Winter Musical
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2009 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart and William Smith Colleges||10|
|New York University||7|
|Carnegie Mellon University||6|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Pennington School is an independent, coeducational school serving day and boarding students in grades 6 through 12. The Pennington School offers a college preparatory curriculum with honors and AP classes, an ESL program for international students, and the Center for Learning.
- Members of The Pennington School community believe: - Every individual has inherent value. - Each individual has unique potential that can be developed. - Diversity enriches a community. - All life experiences are opportunities to learn. - Learning is an ongoing process. - All people are responsible for and to one another. - Character development is integral to responsible citizenship. - All people should treat each other and each other's religious traditions with respect.
- The Pennington School seeks to enroll students of good character and demonstrated citizenship who enjoy being part of a community that welcomes and encourages the participation of each of its members. Students should have strong academic ability and should be seeking to build a record of personal achievements appropriate for college admission.
- LD types supported: Language-based learning differences .
- The Pennington School accreditations: Middle States, TABS, NAIS, NJAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Dontae Johnson '10 - Cornerback in the NFL for the Seattle Seahawks
- Michael Lee Brown '11 - Cast member for the Broadway show, "Dear Evan Hansen"
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Pennington School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.