The White Mountain School
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Goucher College Apart from The White Mountain School being located in a very unique setting the thing that makes it stand out the most when compared to other boarding schools is the size of the student populations. . .
- University of New Hampshire Very enthusiastic, young faculty who know a lot about the topics they teach. The same faculty also lead the sport programs, which builds a very strong, versatile teacher-student relationship, which I find to be rather. . .
- Cornell University The White Mountain School's sense of community and adventure attracts motivated and qualified faculty and a diverse student body. Through a combination of outdoor experiences, leadership opportunities and strong academics, the school consistently produces well. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|The White Mountain||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||250 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||140 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1290||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2.2 million||$25 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$44,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Phillip Dunbridge|
|Associate Director of Admissions||James Ha|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||18|
|Courses||AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, AP Human Geography, AP Physics, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art 2D Design, AP Studio Art 3D Design, AP Studio Art Drawing/Painting, AP United States Government and Politics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Freestyle Skiing, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||20||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Art Club, Citizenship Committee, Diversity and Inclusion Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), National Honor Society, Organic Gardening, Social Committee, Student Ambassadors, Student Government, Students of Color, Sustainability Club, Women in the Outdoors
Arts and Music Programs:
Dance Club, Eco-Art, Jam Club, Senior Citizenship, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Farm and Forest, Ice Climbing, Yoga
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
Be Curious. Be Brave. Be Kind. Be White Mountain. We are a school of inquiry and engagement. Grounded in our Episcopal heritage, we prepare and inspire students to lead lives of curiosity, courage, and compassion.
- History & Philosophy
- We develop the mind through our college preparatory curriculum and through a campus-wide ethos of inquiry and engagement in learning.
- We develop the body through sports and other physical activities, making full use of our spectacular natural setting.
- We develop the spirit through reflection, exploration of meaning and purpose, and service in the broader world.
- Curiosity - We work to nurture our students` curiosity. We ask them to identify and examine phenomena that spark big questions. Our curriculum serves to guide and inspire students in discovering their passions.
- Critical Thinking - Because we encourage students to pose their own questions, we also teach them to identify and ask the right questions. We seek to instill an inquisitive spirit, one that challenges assumptions and dares always to ask the most important questions of all: "Why?" and "How do I know?"
- Communication - The ability to communicate well, to speak and write with clarity and grace, is and will remain a skill essential for success in schools, colleges, the workplace and the civic arena. Responsible and effective communication is practiced and honed in every discipline and subject area, whether through participation in discussions, essay writing or the creation and delivery of presentations.
- Afternoon Activities, Student Leadership Programs, and Work Jobs
- Distinctive Programs
- LASR: Leadership, Arts, Service, and Research
- Sustainability Studies Founded in 2001, our Sustainability Studies Department is the first such department at the secondary school level in the United States. The Sustainability coursework helps students become informed, thoughtful and active stewards of the changing ecosystem. Students learn that ecology, economy, social equality, and personal well being are integral parts of sustainability. White Mountain integrates sustainable practices into daily life through community service, recycling and work job programs, our Sustainability Club, international development work, and our School`s organic farm and compost program.
- The White Mountain School accreditations: NEASC,TABS,ISANNE,SSATB,NAIS,SBSA
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The White Mountain School
- School Location Miles Grades Students