The White Mountain School
The White Mountain School Photo #2 - All students complete an independent project through our LASR program. LASR stands for Leadership, Arts, Service, and Research. These general categories demonstrate the range of projects that students choose to undertake. This program is our way of saying that passion matters, and that we know each and every student has a spark that we want to help focus.
The White Mountain School Photo #3 - Is the classroom the only place in which to learn? We don't think so. White Mountain students immerse themselves in a week-long, off-campus Field Course each semester. These unique experiences allow in-depth, academic exploration of a specific topic in an authentic setting, like this group who studied Water Rights while rafting the Grand Canyon!
The White Mountain School Photo #4 - Students can join any number of clubs or be engaged with formal activities in areas of interest to them. There are great opportunities for all students to initiate, participate, and lead a huge variety of clubs and activities.
The White Mountain School Photo #5 - Through our ownership of Creative Edge Dance Studio, we offer numerous and varied dance opportunities for a White Mountain student to explore or further their interest in dance. Our offerings include academic courses as well as technique and performance-based classes for a number of different styles and ability levels.
The White Mountain School Photo #6 - We believe that athletics and healthy outdoor activities are essential parts of the development of all our students. Teams and activities are open to all, and everyone has the opportunity to participate. We take pride in our ability to build strong bonds, help students gain individual and group strengths, skills, and confidence.
The White Mountain School Photo #7 - As a college preparatory school, the college process begins as soon as students set foot on campus. College preparation is always in mind as we plan course offerings and advise students in their course sign-ups. Every student is assigned a college-focused Program Mentor in their first year and begins intensive work with our College Counselor in their junior year.
The White Mountain School Photo #8 - Living intentionally in a small, supportive community allows students to truly feel like White Mountain is a home away from home. Boarding students live in one of four dorms with their peers, faculty members and faculty families. Faculty doors are often open and their apartments can feel like an extension of the dorm.
The White Mountain School Photo #9 - Students learn that economy, ecology, social equity and personal well-being are integral parts of global sustainability. The Sustainability Studies program helps students build an understanding of these interrelated parts by offering an array of courses as well as opportunities beyond the classroom walls.
- We are a school of inquiry and engagement, valuing curiosity and dedicated passion in our students.
- We believe in open dialogue between students and teachers to foster authentic relationships and enthusiasm for intellectual discourse.
- We offer a variety of alternative outdoor sports such as rock climbing, skiing, and whitewater kayaking.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Goucher College Apart from The White Mountain School being located in a very unique setting the thing that makes it stand out the most when compared to other boarding schools is the size of the student populations. . .
- University of New Hampshire Very enthusiastic, young faculty who know a lot about the topics they teach. The same faculty also lead the sport programs, which builds a very strong, versatile teacher-student relationship, which I find to be rather. . .
- Cornell University The White Mountain School's sense of community and adventure attracts motivated and qualified faculty and a diverse student body. Through a combination of outdoor experiences, leadership opportunities and strong academics, the school consistently produces well. . .
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
The White Mountain School is Listed among the top 10 schools with < 200 students (out of 100 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The White Mountain||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||250 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||130 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1290||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2.2 million||$19 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$44,000||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 30 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Allison Letourneau|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Ashley Willumitis|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|Courses||AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, AP Human Geography, AP Physics, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art 2D Design, AP Studio Art 3D Design, AP Studio Art Drawing/Painting, AP United States Government and Politics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Freestyle Skiing, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Art Club, Citizenship Committee, Diversity and Inclusion Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), National Honor Society, Proctors, Robotics, Social Committee, Student Ambassadors, Student Government, Students of Color, Sustainability Club, Women in the Outdoors
Arts and Music Programs:
Dance Club, Eco-Art, Jam Club, Photography, Theater, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Farm and Forest, Ice Climbing, Volleyball, Yoga
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
Be Curious. Be Brave. Be Kind. Be White Mountain. We are a school of inquiry and engagement. Grounded in our Episcopal heritage, we prepare and inspire students to lead lives of curiosity, courage, and compassion.
- History & Philosophy
- We develop the mind through our college preparatory curriculum and through a campus-wide ethos of inquiry and engagement in learning.
- We develop the body through sports and other physical activities, making full use of our spectacular natural setting.
- We develop the spirit through reflection, exploration of meaning and purpose, and service in the broader world.
- Curiosity - We work to nurture our students` curiosity. We ask them to identify and examine phenomena that spark big questions. Our curriculum serves to guide and inspire students in discovering their passions.
- Critical Thinking - Because we encourage students to pose their own questions, we also teach them to identify and ask the right questions. We seek to instill an inquisitive spirit, one that challenges assumptions and dares always to ask the most important questions of all: "Why?" and "How do I know?"
- Communication - The ability to communicate well, to speak and write with clarity and grace, is and will remain a skill essential for success in schools, colleges, the workplace and the civic arena. Responsible and effective communication is practiced and honed in every discipline and subject area, whether through participation in discussions, essay writing or the creation and delivery of presentations.
- Afternoon Activities, Student Leadership Programs, and Work Jobs
- Distinctive Programs
- LASR: Leadership, Arts, Service, and Research
- Sustainability Studies Founded in 2001, our Sustainability Studies Department is the first such department at the secondary school level in the United States. The Sustainability coursework helps students become informed, thoughtful and active stewards of the changing ecosystem. Students learn that ecology, economy, social equality, and personal well being are integral parts of sustainability. White Mountain integrates sustainable practices into daily life through community service, recycling and work job programs, our Sustainability Club, international development work, and our School`s organic farm and compost program.
- The White Mountain School accreditations: NEASC,TABS,ISANNE,SSATB,NAIS,SBSA
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The White Mountain School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Learn about the Post-Graduate(PG) Year, and how it can benefit certain students.
Boarding Schools in a Minute gives an overview of independent residential schools in North America.
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.