The Woodhall School
The Woodhall School Photo #2 - A biology class performs a dissection in one of our two science labs on campus.
The Woodhall School Photo #3 - The Phoenix Field, regraded and sodded in 2014, hosts our lacrosse and soccer contests, as well as a pick-up game of ultimate Frisbee.
The Woodhall School Photo #4 - The Woodhall School invites our families to join in the community for a Fall and a Spring Family Weekend. The weekend includes guest speakers, classroom visits and events for the whole family.
The Woodhall School Photo #6 - Completed in 2017 the 500 square-foot glass and aluminum Greenhouse, with a comprehensive climate-control system, allows students and teachers to grow flowers and vegetables for the school, and to engage in scientific research and study in life sciences.
The Woodhall School Photo #7 - The Woodhall School's total enrollment is 42 students, which allows for small classrooms, an individualized learning program, and a relationship-based approach.
The Woodhall School Photo #8 - The Athletics and Performing Arts Center, known as the APAC, opened in the Fall of 2003, comprising a gym, theater, gallery, wrestling room, and music studio.
- The mission of The Woodhall School is to provide an opportunity for success to young men of above-average intellectual ability in grades 9-12, who have had difficulties in traditional school environments.
- The school embraces an individualized approach that allows each student to realize his potential and to take accountability in all areas of his life.The school's individualized approach includes an interpersonal and intrapersonal component that permeates the four pillars of The Woodhall School: Academics, Athletics,Residential Life, and Communications.
Top 20 Placements
The Woodhall School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 332 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Woodhall School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||38 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||42 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Class Dress: Collared Shirt; Dinner Dress: Collared Shirt, Dress pants, Dress Shoes, Blazer)
|Average Class Size||3 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:3||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Matthew C. Woodhall|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||17|
|Courses||Calculus AB and BC, Chemistry, English Language and Composition, English Literature, Spanish Language, Biology, Economics, Environmental Science, U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||7||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Soccer, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||6||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Creative Writing, Model U.N., Science Club, Yearbook & Social Media
Arts and Music Programs:
The Link (spirit club for 9th-and 10th-graders), The Woodsmen (a cappella)
|Year: 2015 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute||3|
|Loyola University Chicago||2|
|Rochester Institute of Technology||2|
|University of Vermont||2|
|Ohio Wesleyan University||1|
|St. Michael's College||1|
|Washington State University||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The mission of The Woodhall School is to provide an opportunity for success to young men of above-average intellectual ability in grades 9-12, who have had difficulties in traditional school environments. The school embraces an individualized approach that allows each student to realize his potential and to take accountability in all areas of his life.The school's individualized approach includes an interpersonal and intrapersonal component that permeates the four pillars of The Woodhall School: Academics, Athletics,Residential Life, and Communications.The Woodhall School is a nonprofit institution governed by a Board of Directors. The school is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. It is a member of the Connecticut Association of Independent Schools and the National Association of Independent Schools.The campus occupies 38 acres in rural Bethlehem, Litchfield County, Connecticut. The school is located midway between New York and Boston and is a one hour drive from Hartford and New Haven.The Woodhall School admits students of any race, color and national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, disabilities, or sexual orientation in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies, and school administered programs.
- LD types supported: ASD,ADHD, Aspergers, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia
- The Woodhall School accreditations: NAESC, NAIS, CAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Woodhall School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.