TMI -The Episcopal School of Texas
- Founded in 1893 by Bishop James "Steptoe" Johnston, TMI - The Episcopal School of Texas is the oldest Episcopal college preparatory school in the Southwest.
- TMI is co-educational with more than 460 students in grades 6-12.
- TMI offers a Residential Life program with up to 50 students each year.
- TMI students enjoy 100 percent college placement. In addition to challenging academics, students can participate in a variety of competitive sports, academically-related and hobby- or skill-related clubs, and the theater and music programs.
- Over 1/3 of the student body participates in the nationally distinguished JROTC program, which boasts the award of Honor Unit with Distinction.
- All students study a college preparatory curriculum. Honors and Advanced Placement courses are offered in English, mathematics, science, history/social studies, studio art and languages.
- Students must petition to be in Honors or AP courses by submitting an application, which often includes submitting an essay or piece of work related to the subject, and securing a recommendation from their current teacher in the subject area.
- Teachers review applications and recommend placement in courses that provide students with challenges equal to or a bit above their demonstrated ability.
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|TMI -The Episcopal||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||80 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||465 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||16 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||20||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
(1000 new student fee)
|Tuition international students||$47,840||$47,000|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Aaron Hawkins|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Alanna Nichols|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Orienteering, Riflery, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Year: 2009 - 2010||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|US Air Force Academy||1|
Spirituality - Academics - Athletics - Military
TMI educates students in grades 6-12
Co-educational Day and Boarding School
College Preparatory Curriculum
- Optional Corp of Cadets
- One of the most highly ranked JROTC programs in the country. Honor Unit with Distinction
- Daily Chapel
- 5-Day and 7-Day Residential Life Program
- Fine Arts Program
- College Counselor
- Advisory program for all students
- School accreditations: TMI is fully accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest (ISAS) and the Southwestern Association of Episcopal Schools (SAES). The school is a member of the National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES), as well as The Association of Boarding School (TABS).
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- General Douglas MacArthur - 1897
- Julian Onderdonk - 1900 Father of Texas Painting
- Frank A. Juhan - 1906 Bishop/Football Hall of Fame
- Rafaelo Diaz - 1912 Metropolitan Opera Star
- Edgar Tobin - 1914 World War I Ace
- Ross Youngs - 1916 Baseball Hall of Fame
- Tom C. Forst, Jr. - 1946 Frost Bank Chairman
- Dan Blocker - 1946 TV Star(Bonanza)
- Lewis Sorley III - 1951 Pulitzer Prize Nominee
- Lamar Smith - 1965 US Congressman
- Submit Review for TMI -The Episcopal School of Texas
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12| 260 students 41.1 miles2801 Ranch Road 12
San Marcos, TX 78666
- Grades: 8-12, PG| 645 students 260.4 miles1051 N Houston
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Bullard, TX 75757
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.