Here, students are free to unfurl and be their true selves while they discover their best selves: puck-shooting painters, math whizzes-turned-thespians, fashion-designing equestrian chemists, all-AP snowboarding cellists.
Vermont Academy is rooted in Vermont values: independence, ingenuity, resilience, sustainability, and a love of the outdoors.
Students are encouraged to explore, to tinker, and to innovate.
They benefit from a 6:1 student-faculty ratio, a robust advising program, top-notch learning skills support, and over 120 courses.
Twenty-five percent of students are international, with 13 countries represented.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stanford University Apart from it being a boarding school, the teachers are very lenient and understanding when it comes to completing coursework. They truly want you to understand the material, grades aren't a big factor at all. . .
- Aurora University I enjoyed the Learning Skills Program it really helped me throughout my four years at Vermont Academy. The Learning Skills staff works with you and your teachers to help you succeed in the classroom. I. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Vermont Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||450 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||200 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1200||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||22||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||32||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$7.3 million||$25 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$30,200||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||50%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Warren Samuels|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Gerald Filler|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||32||18|
|Courses||Advanced Russian, Advanced Topics in Mathematics, Algebra II (honors), AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Comparative Government and Politics, AP Computer Science Principles, AP Economics, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP Physics I, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, Biology (honors), Biotechnology/Bioethics, Chemistry (honors), Chinese 4, European History (honors), French 4/5, Geometry (honors), Physics (honors), Pre-Calculus (honors), Robotics: Advanced Topics in Control System Design, Robotics: Advanced Topics in Electrical System Design, Robotics: Advanced Topics in Java Programming, Robotics: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Systems Design, The Individual in Society (honors), World Literature (honors)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Orienteering, Paddle Tennis, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||22||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Classical Club, Community Service Club, Dorm Prefects, Foreign Language Honor Societies, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Kurn Hattin Groups, Linsly Outdoor Center Adventure Club, Literary Magazine, Lower School Band, Lower School Language Club, Mentoring (Elementary School), Student Government: Residence Council, The Milton Academy Yearbook, The Milton Review (arts review journal)
Arts and Music Programs:
Arts Option, Dance Club, Student Government: Class Officers
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Cycling Club, Lower School Newspaper, Student Government: Student Council, Symposium, Ventures 34th Scout
|Year: 2011 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart & William Smith Colleges|
|St. Lawrence University|
|University of Massachusetts, Amherst|
|University of Vermont|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Two and a half hours from Boston and four hours from New York, Vermont Academy is a place where students say that they feel free to express themselves, try new things, take risks, and grow. Our students thrive on a small campus that is truly a family, where their teachers and advisors become mentors, second parents, and role models. Our education is handcrafted to meet students' diverse needs and to follow where their creative and entrepreneurial spirits lead them.
- Located on 450 acres of hills and forests in southern Vermont, VA offers unparalleled outdoor opportunities, including hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, crew, and nearby skiing and snowboarding at some of New England`s best ski areas. Vermont Academy competes in the NEPSAC and Lakes Region leagues and offers over 20 sports, five playing fields, six tennis courts, and a hockey rink.
- One of the strengths of Vermont Academy is that its students embrace both the arts and athletics. We have students who are, for example, playing D1 basketball after successful seasons at Vermont Academy and who were also recognized as writers and artists, having earned accolades at the regional and state levels.
- Vermont Academy provides students with a transformative education--in the classroom and in the great Vermont outdoors--that prepares them to thrive in college and in life.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Vermont Academy accreditations: NEASC, NAIS, EMA, ISANNE, AISNE
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Joe Perry - Guitarist with the band Aerosmith
- Russell Porter - Founder of Stellaphane and designer of Mt. Palomar Observatory
- Paul Percy Harris - Founder of Rotary Club
- Jim McClaren - Recipient of ESPY award
- Florence Sabin - Medical pioneer and first female student at Johns Hopkins medical school
- Bruce Lawlor - Major General with the U.S. Army
- Mike Morin - U.S. ski team coach; coached Bodi Miller
- Lee Stanley - Film producer who works with troubled juveniles
- Submit Review for Vermont Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.