Vermont Academy Photo #2 - Our mountain biking team takes full advantage of our 30 km of trails, including a technical, single track mountain biking course.
Vermont Academy Photo #3 - We offer jazz, chamber music, and vocal ensembles, as well as electronic music, theory and composition, and private lessons.
Vermont Academy Photo #4 - Our on-campus ski hill features a rope tow, a terrain park, and snow making. Our students also ski and snowboard at Okemo Mountain, named the best Vermont ski area in 2016.
Vermont Academy Photo #5 - Our shows draw crowds! We stage full productions in the fall and spring. We also put on a 24-hour play festival and a black box production. Our theater tech program gives students hands-on experience with set design, lighting, sound, and costumes.
Vermont Academy Photo #6 - Vermont Academy loves hockey! Our girls' and boys' teams are formidable on the ice.
Vermont Academy Photo #7 - "Vermont Academy has... proven to be a program that can attract highly talented individual players and then mold them into cohesive units capable of competing at the highest levels of prep school basketball. They are well coached, always disciplined and taught to play the game the right way." --Adam Finkelstein of ESPN
Vermont Academy Photo #8 - Through our MAPS program, advisors help students to chart their futures. The end goal is not only a great college experience but a happy, healthy life of discovery and growth.
Vermont Academy Photo #9 - We are a small community where every student is known and cared for. Roommates, dorm mates, and dorm parents become a second family.
Here, students are free to unfurl and be their true selves while they discover their best selves: puck-shooting painters, math whizzes-turned-thespians, fashion-designing equestrian chemists, all-AP snowboarding cellists.
Vermont Academy is rooted in Vermont values: independence, ingenuity, resilience, sustainability, and a love of the outdoors.
Students are encouraged to explore, to tinker, and to innovate.
They benefit from a 6:1 student-faculty ratio, a robust advising program, top-notch learning skills support, and over 120 courses.
Twenty-five percent of students are international, with 13 countries represented.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Aurora University I enjoyed the Learning Skills Program it really helped me throughout my four years at Vermont Academy. The Learning Skills staff works with you and your teachers to help you succeed in the classroom. I. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Vermont Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||450 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||200 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1200||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||22||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||32||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$7.3 million||$23 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$30,200||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||50%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Warren Samuels|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Gerald Filler|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||32||18|
|Courses||Advanced Russian, Advanced Topics in Mathematics, Algebra II (honors), AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Comparative Government and Politics, AP Computer Science Principles, AP Economics, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP Physics I, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, Biology (honors), Biotechnology/Bioethics, Chemistry (honors), Chinese 4, European History (honors), French 4/5, Geometry (honors), Physics (honors), Pre-Calculus (honors), Robotics: Advanced Topics in Control System Design, Robotics: Advanced Topics in Electrical System Design, Robotics: Advanced Topics in Java Programming, Robotics: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Systems Design, The Individual in Society (honors), World Literature (honors)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Orienteering, Paddle Tennis, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||22||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Classical Club, Community Service Club, Dorm Prefects, Foreign Language Honor Societies, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Kurn Hattin Groups, Linsly Outdoor Center Adventure Club, Literary Magazine, Lower School Band, Lower School Language Club, Mentoring (Elementary School), Student Government: Residence Council, The Milton Academy Yearbook, The Milton Review (arts review journal)
Arts and Music Programs:
Arts Option, Dance Club, Student Government: Class Officers
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Cycling Club, Lower School Newspaper, Student Government: Student Council, Symposium, Ventures 34th Scout
|Year: 2011 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart & William Smith Colleges|
|St. Lawrence University|
|University of Massachusetts, Amherst|
|University of Vermont|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Two and a half hours from Boston and four hours from New York, Vermont Academy is a place where students say that they feel free to express themselves, try new things, take risks, and grow. Our students thrive on a small campus that is truly a family, where their teachers and advisors become mentors, second parents, and role models. Our education is handcrafted to meet students' diverse needs and to follow where their creative and entrepreneurial spirits lead them.
- Located on 450 acres of hills and forests in southern Vermont, VA offers unparalleled outdoor opportunities, including hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, crew, and nearby skiing and snowboarding at some of New England`s best ski areas. Vermont Academy competes in the NEPSAC and Lakes Region leagues and offers over 20 sports, five playing fields, six tennis courts, and a hockey rink.
- One of the strengths of Vermont Academy is that its students embrace both the arts and athletics. We have students who are, for example, playing D1 basketball after successful seasons at Vermont Academy and who were also recognized as writers and artists, having earned accolades at the regional and state levels.
- Vermont Academy provides students with a transformative education--in the classroom and in the great Vermont outdoors--that prepares them to thrive in college and in life.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Vermont Academy accreditations: NEASC, NAIS, EMA, ISANNE, AISNE
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Joe Perry - Guitarist with the band Aerosmith
- Russell Porter - Founder of Stellaphane and designer of Mt. Palomar Observatory
- Paul Percy Harris - Founder of Rotary Club
- Jim McClaren - Recipient of ESPY award
- Florence Sabin - Medical pioneer and first female student at Johns Hopkins medical school
- Bruce Lawlor - Major General with the U.S. Army
- Mike Morin - U.S. ski team coach; coached Bodi Miller
- Lee Stanley - Film producer who works with troubled juveniles
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Vermont Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Families who live outside the United States and who are not American citizens or Permanent Residents have to deal with a couple of additional steps when thinking of sending their children to an American boarding school.
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
Are you wondering whether boarding school is right for your child? Answer these five questions and you will be better able to determine whether it is.