1880 Washington Ave.
Lexington, MO 64067
Lexington, MO 64067
Cadets and students are regularly offered a variety of assemblies and programs for their educational experience and their enjoyment. Sometimes we celebrate their achievements, sometimes they entertain us with their talent, sometimes we have a world renown guitarist in concert.
Athletics are part of the core of cadet and student development. All our high school cadets participate in at least two sports. College athletes can receive scholarships for most sports. We believe in developing mind, body and spirit in our cadets and students.
Our cadets participate in the National Honor Society and are recognized on campus for their achievement.
Wentworth is always striving to provide the best possible equipment and technology to support our cadet and student success. Our fitness center is one example of that--utilized by cadets, students, faculty and staff.
We teach our core values in every classroom and many activities we do on campus: teamwork, duty, integrity, respect, honor.
We teach leadership in practical ways as cadets earn positions of rank and are responsible for platoons or companies of their peers. Wentworth nurtures opportunities seized, potential realized and success achieved! This is the Wentworth experience.
The annual Military Ball is a fall highlight and long standing tradition of the school. It is one of the many time honored traditions and campus events in which cadets and students participate.
Academic success is at the core of what Wentworth values for her cadets and students. We grant a high school diploma for our 9-12th graders and three Associate's degrees for our college programs. Our cadets and students are pre-veterinary, pre-nursing, pre-engineering, homeland security and criminal justice to name a few areas of interest.
- Founded in 1880, Wentworth is a coed military academy and college providing students with rigorous academics and a formal leadership education.
- Our student to teacher ratio is 10:1, and 94% of faculty possess an advanced degree.
- In addition, high school students have the opportunity to pursue accredited college level courses as juniors and seniors through Wentworth College at no extra cost.
- Students can participate in traditional high school activities like organized athletics, intramurals, prom, seasonal dances, clubs, band, community service, and more.
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Wentworth Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||137 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||65 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||25 - 80||-|
|Average ACT score||19||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||32||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$5 million||$16 million|
(Includes Uniforms/tuition/room & board)
(Cost includes uniforms, tuition, books, and computer)
|Tuition international students||$38,820||$47,400|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$6,000||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Dillon Harp|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Marksmanship, Riflery, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||23|
|Extracurriculars||Band, Choir, Community Service Club, Honor Guard, JROTC Competition Team, Marksmanship and Riflery, National Honor Society, Paintball, Parents Club Field Trips, Soccer, SROTC Competition Team, Swimming|
|Year: 2007||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|United States Air Force Academy||4|
|University of Central Missouri||4|
|University of Kansas||2|
|Florida International University||1|
|Iowa State University||1|
|Northern Arizona University||1|
|University of Monterrey (Mexico)||1|
|University of Washington||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Wentworth`s class sizes are small, ranging from 8 to 12 students per class with an average student teacher ratio of 10:1. All of our teachers know all of our students and at Wentworth there is no "back of the room". Students must sit up in ways they never have before.
- As a military school, we bring the same structured approach to academics as we do to all aspects of cadet life. Students have 7 classes per day and for those who need extra help with homework, we have a 2-hour faculty supervised study period for them.
- Wentworth`s curriculum ensures that each graduate will be prepared for college and beyond in whichever field of study he or she chooses. We emphasize the foundational reading, writing, and math skills required for academic success both at high school, college, and beyond. Wentworth reinforces these core skills in each discipline taught in the school, whether it be literature, history, languages, advanced math or science.
- School accreditations: North Central Association, MO Coordinating Board for Higher Education, MO Dept. of Elementary and Secondary Education, National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, Council on North Central Two Yr Colleges, The Association of Boarding Sch
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ike Skelton - U.S. Congressman, 4th District of Missouri and Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee
- William Adams - Recipient, Medal of Honor, Vietnam
- John Groendyke - Chairman and CEO, Groendyke Trucking
- Bud Walton - Co-Founder, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Marlin Perkins - Eminent Zoologist and Host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom
Submit Review for Wentworth Military Academy & College
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 7-12, PG | 250 students 107.3 miles204 Grand Street
Mexico, MO 65265
May 18, 2017
The International Baccalaureate programmes cover the entire K-12 spectrum with three distinct educational curricula. In this article, we focus on American private high schools which offer the Diploma Programme.
May 11, 2017
In 1957-58 Peter Denis attended a boarding school in Switzerland. In this article he recounts his experiences for us.
April 26, 2017
Vision. Generosity. High-minded principles. These are the hallmarks of the benefactors of the five schools featured in this article.