171 Baylor School Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
Chattanooga, TN 37405
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 1024 students
A view of Baylor from the Tennessee shows (from left to right), Lowrance Hall, the music building, Ireland Studio Arts Center and the Roddy Performing Arts Center.
LEED certified Harrison Hall is a visible example of Baylor's commitment to environmental sustainability. Conveniently located on top of the hill directly across from the dining hall and student center, this male dorm features a comfortable meeting room with an adjacent stone patio and two spacious apartments for dorm parents. Each main living area has a student lounge with comfortable seating and a plasma television.
Over the last 19 years, Baylor individuals or teams, have won 125 State Championships. Our golf short game center is the perfect place for these champions to perfect the most critical part of scoring. The center features six stations for players to hit shots from inside 120 yards. It also has a 3,700-square-foot chipping green with bunkering and a 4,000-square-foot putting green.
Our proctored study hall is located in the center of campus and provides a quiet place for students to study.
This sweeping view of the Tennessee River Gorge was taken from the patio of Barks Hall, home to the Lower School and the Baylor Library, which houses 50,000 volumes (one of the largest among southeastern schools).
The Katherine and Harrison Weeks Science building's central location on our campus is a visible statement about the importance of science and technology at Baylor School. Completed in 1999, the 41,000 squre-foot $6.5 million building provides state-of-the-art technology with 100 computers, 14 laboratories, computer classrooms and an interactive SMART Board.
One of the country's premier college-preparatory schools, Baylor`s beautiful 690-acre campus is located on the Tennessee River just five minutes from downtown Chattanooga.
Students enjoy the benefits that come from small classes, a unique leadership program and innovative curriculum, an exceptional faculty, vast extracurricular choices, and competing on nationally recognized athletic teams.
Graduates are admitted to colleges and universities nationwide, including Ivy League schools.
Baylor's most recent graduating class received scholarship offers exceeding $14 million.
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Baylor School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||690 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||1024 students||295 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1510 - 1950||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(khaki pants/skirts and Baylor polos)
|Average Class Size||14 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$130 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$50,895||$47,425|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$30,000||$22,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / Jan. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jim Kennedy|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Virginia Anne Manson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Fencing, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||58||23|
|Extracurriculars||Animation Club, Baylor International Student Association, Baylor Players, Bible Study, C.P.I.C. (Committee to Promote an Inclusive Community), Chapel, Community Service Club, Computer Club, Concert Club, Cum Laude, Dorm Prefects, E.U.R.O. Club, Earth Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Film Making Club, French Club, German Club, Habitat for Humanity, Harambee, Healthy Communities / Healthy Youth Study Group, High Energy, Honor, Inner Circle, Jazz Club, Junior Classical League,|
|Year: 2002 - 2005||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Tennessee, Knoxville||105|
|University of Georgia||54|
|University of South Carolina||21|
|University of Alabama||17|
|University of Mississippi||17|
|Sewanne: University of the South||16|
|University of Virginia||11|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- One of the premier college preparatory schools in the country, Baylor School's mission is to instill in its students the desire and the ability to make a positive difference in the world.
- One of the fundamental aspects of the Baylor experience is the Honor System, an understanding among the students that they do not want among them anyone who will lie, cheat, or falsify information. In signing the Honor Code, each student acknowledges that, "I understand this principle, and recognize that I shall be expected to live in accordance with it." The original version of this code was adopted by the student body in May 1916, and has been unanimously approved by the student body.
- Baylor is a coeducational school, reflecting the school's belief that teenage students benefit from a coed learning environment. At Baylor, as in the world, young men and women occupy leadership positions and participate fully in the life of the school.
- Demanding academic courses are the heart of Baylor's program. We offer an average of 20 AP courses each year covering all disciplines, an extensive weekend activity program, 17 interscholastic sports programs, and small classes. In addition, our curriculum includes expectations for community service, outdoor experiences, and fine arts--programs that teach self-assurance and self-esteem.
- Baylor's Distinguished Scholars Program was established to attract students from around the world who are among the best and the brightest. Based solely on merit, the program annually awards a full-tuition scholarship to two 9th and/or 10th graders.
- Few schools can match Baylor's boarding life. The beauty of the 690-acre campus, newly renovated dorm rooms and dining facilities, an extensive extracurricular program, and a network of involved and caring dormitory faculty and parents create a nurturing environment.
- The Leadership Baylor Program was launched in 2005 with the goal of helping all Baylor students discover and develop their unique leadership skills.
- School accreditations: SACS
Submit Review for Baylor School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12 | 290 students 156.5 miles360 Asheville School Rd.
Asheville, NC 28806
Grades: 9-12, PG| 758 students 60.1 miles1014 Cave Spring Road, SW
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Rome, GA 30161
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Grades: 7-12| 315 students 66.7 miles319 Webb Road East
Bell Buckle, TN 37020
Grades: 9-12| 799 students 529.5 milesPO Box 801 39221 Woodward Ave.
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48303
Grades: 9-12, PG | 650 students 855.9 miles7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342