5.00 (6 reviews)7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 650 students
Deerfield's laptop initiative provides all students with new laptops upon enrollment. Opportunities to work independently and collaboratively are enhanced by our use of technology.
Theater and dance are offered as co-curricular options at Deerfield. Students of all experience levels participate in a variety of productions throughout the school year.
Dorm-life offers students the opportunity to connect closely with friends and classmates from all over the country and world. Deerfield 'feeds' are famous for bringing corridor residents together over tasty treats and great conversation.
Family-style meals provide an important opportunity for strengthening friendships, exchanging ideas and enhancing community spirit.
- Deerfield is a place of modern, dynamic scholarship.
- Through an ever-evolving curriculum, Deerfield offers tools and teachers that encourage curiosity and entrepreneurial leadership in its diverse student body.
- Students` grit and determination is fortified with the support and collaboration of other scholars, as they examine the world`s most pressing problems, together.
- Deerfield`s program is enhanced by an abundance of events, clubs, invited speakers, global trips, and community-wide activities-all in support of a rigorous yet collaborative, hardworking yet joyful, student experience.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- St. Lawrence University The teacher-student relationship at Deerfield played a huge role in my Deerfield experience. First off, there is a great teacher student ratio, making class sizes small, which allows students to get to know teachers more. . .
- St. Lawrence University Deerfield is set in a historic New England village preserved from the 18th century. History and heritage are therefore prevalent in all aspects of life at the school. The campus matches the lovely. . .
- Colby College The most important things about my Deerfield experience were the relationships I fostered with peers and teachers. There is something about Deerfield that attracts interesting people and you don't have to dig deep to. . .
- Princeton University Two aspects of Deerfield that make it unique as a high school are the dynamics of a student body of 600 and the school spirit. The school has a tight-knit atmosphere because the student body is. . .
- Middlebury College Deerfield is a small school (600 students) that emphasizes community. If you pay a visit and take a tour you will hear and feel that consistently. I loved that aspect and now that I am. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 327 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most sports offered
- Offering Breadth High # of AP/advanced courses offered
- Student Test Scores High SSAT scores
- School History Oldest founding date
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Deerfield Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||11-12|
|Campus Size||330 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||650 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1978||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1820 - 2160||-|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$532 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$47,080||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||85%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Charles F. Davis, Jr.|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Allison DiNardo|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||41||23|
|Extracurriculars||Albany Road Magazine, Arabic Club, Archery Club, Asian Students Association, Black Student Alliance, Cheerleaders, Christian Fellowship Club, Classics Club, Deerfield Scroll, Diversity Club, Environmental Action Group, Fire Department Volunteers, Fly Fishing Club, Food Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Green Key Club, International Student Club, Investment Club, Jewish Student Alliance, Latin American Student Alliance, Math Club, Meat Club, Mellow-D's, Multiracial Alliance,|
|Year: 2006 - 2010||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Univ. of Penn||29|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- School accreditations: NEASC
Submit Review for Deerfield Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
March 16, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
March 15, 2017
"Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you..." Brought to you by Boarding Schools in the USA
March 15, 2017
North American boarding schools regularly send admissions staff overseas to hold recruitment fairs in your area.