5.00 (4 reviews)7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 650 students
Deerfield's laptop initiative provides all students with new laptops upon enrollment. Opportunities to work independently and collaboratively are enhanced by our use of technology.
Theater and dance are offered as co-curricular options at Deerfield. Students of all experience levels participate in a variety of productions throughout the school year.
Dorm-life offers students the opportunity to connect closely with friends and classmates from all over the country and world. Deerfield 'feeds' are famous for bringing corridor residents together over tasty treats and great conversation.
Family-style meals provide an important opportunity for strengthening friendships, exchanging ideas and enhancing community spirit.
"Deerfield prepares its students for both college and the world beyond, yet its graduates return often, remembering the Academy for the important role it played in their lives.
Friendships that last a lifetime, teachers who made a difference, perspectives broadened and refined, pride in the Academy and loyalty to its tradition: these are the hallmarks of a Deerfield education...".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Colby College The most important things about my Deerfield experience were the relationships I fostered with peers and teachers. There is something about Deerfield that attracts interesting people and you don't have to dig deep to. . .
- Princeton University Two aspects of Deerfield that make it unique as a high school are the dynamics of a student body of 600 and the school spirit. The school has a tight-knit atmosphere because the student body is. . .
- Middlebury College Deerfield is a small school (600 students) that emphasizes community. If you pay a visit and take a tour you will hear and feel that consistently. I loved that aspect and now that I am. . .
- Northwestern Deerfield is located in a beautiful, rural, scenic town; the town is set in the middle of the valley in a beautiful New England setting. The Academy has a strong community feel, a medium-sized population. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 322 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most sports offered
- Offering Breadth High # of AP/advanced courses offered
- Student Test Scores High SSAT scores
- School History Oldest founding date
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Deerfield Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||330 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||650 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1978||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1820 - 2160||-|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$532 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$47,080||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||85||-|
|Director of Admissions||Charles F. Davis, Jr.|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Allison DiNardo|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||41||23|
|Extracurriculars||Albany Road Magazine, Arabic Club, Archery Club, Asian Students Association, Black Student Alliance, Cheerleaders, Christian Fellowship Club, Classics Club, Deerfield Scroll, Diversity Club, Environmental Action Group, Fire Department Volunteers, Fly Fishing Club, Food Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Green Key Club, International Student Club, Investment Club, Jewish Student Alliance, Latin American Student Alliance, Math Club, Meat Club, Mellow-D's, Multiracial Alliance,|
|Year: 2006 - 2010||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Univ. of Penn||29|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- School accreditations: NEASC
Submit Review for Deerfield Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
November 20, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.