5.00 (6 reviews)180 Main Street
Andover, MA 01810
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 1150 students
Students come to Andover to join 1100 smart, engaged, passionate students from around the world; to work with brilliant, accomplished teachers; to have access to unparalled resources; and to feel a sense of limitless opportunity.
Education Week calls Andover "the quintessential boarding school [which] has remained true to its mission of building character while preparing students for college."
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Bowdoin College Phillips Andover has the motto 'Non SIbi' or 'Not For Self' which is taken very seriously and has been engrained in the culture of the academy for over 200 years. Non Sibi day is celebrated. . .
- Yale University Andover is pretty big for a boarding school so one thing that Andover has makes it special are clusters. There are five of them and they divide the school into smaller communities. They are residential. . .
- Eugene Lang the New School for Liberal Arts Andover is the biggest in student numbers of similar boarding schools and this gives it an incredibly diverse, dynamic character without losing the personalized feeling and small classes you would expect at this caliber. There. . .
- Harvey Mudd College Andover has made me realize how precious each moment is, no matter how mundane, tedious, or tiring it may seem at the time. Looking back, I treasure each memory, and try to remind myself to. . .
- Wesleyan University One aspect that sets Andover apart is the immense alumni network. I'm merely one year removed from Andover, but there are graduates of all ages that are ready to help. Andover has a network called. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 323 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Large student body (number of students)
- Diversity High percentage of students of color
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most sports offered
- Offering Breadth Most extracurriculars offered
- Offering Breadth High # of AP/advanced courses offered
- Student Test Scores High average SAT scores
- School History Oldest founding date
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Phillips Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||500 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||1150 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2118||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||70||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$970 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$39,800||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||James F. Ventre '79|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||70||16|
|Courses||A Room of Their Own: Women's Studies and Literature, A Social History of Latin America, Accelerated Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Biology, Advanced Chinese, Advanced College Chemistry, Advanced courses in painting, ceramics, drawing, photography, video, Advanced Electronic Music, Advanced Fourth-Level German, Advanced Latin Authors, Advanced Theory & Composition, Advanced Topics in French, African Literature, An Introductory Survey of African American Literature, AP AB Calculus, AP Accelerated AB Calculus, AP Accelerated BC Calculus, AP BC Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP Statistics, Applied Logic, Architecture, Asia (history), Atomic America: Service Learning, Calculus-Based Physics, California Dreaming, Chamber Music Performance Seminar, Children in Literature: Growing Up in a Changing World, Community Engagement in the City of Lawrence: We, the People (Spanish), Comparative Government, Contemporary American Poetry, Creative Nonfiction, Creative Writing: Fiction, Creative Writing:Poetry, Critical Race Theory: The American Dream Deferred, Current Events and Multimedia: Approaches to the Hispanic World (Spanish), Economics Research Colloquiem, Ethics:The Environment, Foundations of Modern Physics, Haunted by Shadows:Viewing African Independence through Lens and Literature, History of Art, Honors Computer Science Seminar: Software Design; Computer Graphics; Data Structures & Algorithms, Honors Math Seminar: Differential Equations; The Genius of Euler; Bayesian Statistics, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Introduction to Hispanic Literature (Spanish), Introduction to Theory and Composition, James Joyce, Justice and Globalization, Macroeconomics and the Global Consumer, Medieval Literature, Medieval Literature, Microeconomics and the Developing World, Molecular and Cellular Biology: Indepdendent Laboratory Research, Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra, Nonviolence and Social Change, Our Americas: Crossing Borders (Spanish), Out of Tune: Music and the State in the 20th Century, Playwriting, Race and Comparative American Literatures, Religion and Pilgrimage, Shakespeare, The American Civil War, The Internet in Print, The Middle East, The World in Pieces:Poetry and Cinema of the Avant-Garde, Twentieth Century Drama, U.S. History, Understanding Latin America (Spanish), Writers in Depth|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||26||14|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||176||23|
|Extracurriculars||3D Printing Club, Academy Manor Nursing Home volunteers, ActiveMinds Andover, AdoptaPlatoon, Afro-Latino-American Society (Af-Lat-Am), Alianza (Latino Student Alliance), Amnesty International Club, Andover Ambassadors, Andover Art Society, Andover Japanese Connection, Andover-Lawrence String Program, App Development, ARC Buddies, Archaeology and History Club, Architecture Club, Art Exchange, Art for Expression, Art Music Society, Asian Society, Astronomy Club, Azure, Babel Foreign Language Magazine, Backtracks Magazine, Baking Club, Ballroom Dance Society,|
|Year: 2014 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Chicago||0|
|University of Pennsylvania||0|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Phillips Academy, better known as Andover, is a coeducational independent boarding high school of 1,150 students. Founded in 1778, Andover is known for its extensive and rigorous academic program as well as its intentionally diverse community of teachers and students. Andover admits students on the basis of merit, talent and demonstrated potential -- regardless of their family's ability to pay full tuition. Andover's "need blind" admission policy is one of the most comprehesive and generous among secondary schools.
- School accreditations: NEASC
Submit Review for Phillips Academy Andover
- School Location Miles Grades Students
January 12, 2017
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
January 10, 2017
Boarding schools have their own jargon just like any activity or affinity group has.
January 04, 2017
There's a lot involved in selecting the right boarding school. Don't forget these ten important things when you apply.