17641 College Road
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Gr: (Boarding) 8-12 | 235 students
The Chapel is a centerpiece of school life. Daily chapels allow for quiet reflection and a way to connect with personal spirituality.
With an average class size of eleven students, faculty members focus their attention on the student as relationships are genuine.
The Fine Arts Department is comprised of music, art, dance and theatre. The Mummers' Society has a Fall Play and a Spring Musical that are popular with the students.
At Saint James, athletics are a big part of every day life as they are required of every student, but the focus is on the 'team.'
Community service is an important area of learning at Saint James. Volunteering locally, nationally, and internationally with various organizations is commonplace.
Internationally recognized as one of the best small boarding schools in the country, Saint James boasts a challenging core curriculum, preparing our students for college success, not stress.
Located just 70 miles drive from the cities of Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and three international airports, our 689-acre campus is a serene home for 235 students from 15 states and 18 countries.
With all full-time faculty residing on campus, relationships are at the core of our community.
Saint James is the oldest Episcopal boarding school founded on the Oxford Movement, with rich traditions dating back to 1842.
Saint James is different than other small boarding schools in that we: instill a humble confidence in our students which allows them to lead, learn, and live a life of rich experience; offer a large variety of interscholastic sports which provides all students the benefits of athletic competition, sportsmanship, and leadership, while an impressively broad array of offerings in the Arts allow students to flex their creative muscles. Saint James School's stellar, rigorous, and yet supportive college-preparatory curriculum, with a fun social life free from cliques negative peer pressure, is what makes Saint James amazing.
|Definition of Terms
2015 School Data
|Saint James School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||689 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||235 students||297 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1835||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1560 - 1910||-|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$20 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$22,000||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Ben Douglass|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Amelia Fitzsimmons|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Latin - Vergil, AP Music Theory, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP United Stated History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||14|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||14||23|
|Extracurriculars||Boom! Science Club, Boys' A Cappella, Choir, Community Garden Club, Cooking Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Game Development Club, Girls' A Cappella, Newspaper, Ski Club, Spirit Club, Tour Guides, Yearbook|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
What makes Saint James different form other boarding schools?
- Our challenging core curriculum affords students the opportunity to explore their intellectual curiosity, becoming thinkers, rather than skimmers. At the same time, Saint James ensures their preparation for college, giving them an advantage in the college process. 100% of our classes are accelerated college prep, along with our 14 Advanced Placement offerings. On top of a full course load, students are also involved in competitive athletics, a superb fine-arts program, nationally touring choir, music ensembles, and other cultural opportunities and events.
- With 235 students, Saint James is a small community welcoming to all individuals. Here, you will find older students hanging out with younger students, day students hanging out with boarding students, and international students hanging out with domestic students, as a single cohesive community.
- With a strong, moral grounding, founded in the Episcopal Church, Saint James students are kind and genuine. We all begin our academic day with a Chapel service and our Honor Code forms the cornerstone of trust and moral living on campus. Because of our size and culture, every student has an opportunity to be important at Saint James. Providing countless opportunities for leadership and success that are unmatched by other schools, Saint James students go to college with a true advantage.
- 689 beautiful acres set on the rolling hills of Western Maryland afford our students with a peaceful and safe home. Located seven miles from Antietam National Battlefield, Saint James played an integral role in the Civil War. Our beautiful campus is only one hour from Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and two international airports.
- School accreditations: Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and approved by the Maryland State Board of Education.
Submit Review for Saint James School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 440 students 19 miles300 East Seminary Street
Mercersburg, PA 17236
Grades: 9-12, PG | 130 students 89.5 miles1079 Firetower Road
Colora, MD 21917
Grades: 9-12, PG | 463 students 176.5 milesPO Box 600
Blairstown, NJ 07825
Grades: 9-12, PG | 515 students 121.5 miles717 East High Street
Pottstown, PA 19464
(610) 326-1000121.59-12, PG515
Grades: 9-12, PG | 542 students 177.8 miles201 South Main Street
Hightstown, NJ 08520