Raleigh, NC 27603
Top 10 Placements:
Listed among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 132 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2014 School Data
|Saint Mary's School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Preparatory||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||23 acres||124 acres|
|Enrollment||260 students||295 students|
|% Students of Color||11%||19%|
|% International Students||11%||20%|
|% Students Boarding||48%||67%|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||16||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||75%||67%|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|% Students on Financial Aid||36%||35%|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 30 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kim McDowell|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Emily Smith|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||51||24|
|Extracurriculars||Beacon - Senior Honorary Leadership Club, Boarding and Day Prefects, Chamber Orchestra, Chorale/Honors Chorale, Community Service Council, Cooking Club, Day Council, Dorm Council, Drama Club, Echo - Senior Washtub Singing Group, Environmental Club, Film Club, Flute Choir, FOCUS - Fellowship of Christians in Universities and Schools, Food Council, French Club, French National Honors Society, GAP - Global Ambassadors Program, Girls Helping Girls - Peer Mediators, Granddaughters Club (direct descendants of alumnae), Judicial Board, Junior Classical League (Latin Club), Key Club, Ladies in Blue - a cappella group, Latin National Honors Society,|
|Year: 2005-2009||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||44|
|North Carolina State University||33|
|Appalachian State University||19|
|University of South Carolina at Columbia||16|
|East Carolina University||11|
|College of Charleston||9|
|Wake Forest University||8|
Why Saint Mary’s School?
- Academic Curriculum: We prepare young ladies for admittance to the most respected colleges and universities across the country. Our small classes average 13 students and are led by experienced faculty who love teaching the young women of Saint Mary's. Increased interaction with faculty and greater individual attention are hallmarks of Saint Mary’s School.
- Individualized Academic Programs: Create, with the help of teachers and an advisor, a personalized academic plan for high school (MAP or My Achievement Plan) that includes academic courses, extracurricular activities, leadership positions and community service. Our ATLAS tablet PC program provides students with a powerful learning tool that prepares the girls to work with the latest emerging technology.
- Life Skills and Values: Our COMPASS Curriculum, a four-year co-curricular program, equips each young woman with life skills and develops her independence. Saint Mary's offers the opportunity to Learn the skills and self-confidence needed to take on challenges, become comfortable speaking in public, manage personal finances, and become a healthy, active young adult.
- Leadership Development: Improve leadership skills through first-rate arts, athletics, student leadership, interest clubs, and other extracurricular programs. Studies have shown that an average of 80% of students who attend an all-girls’ schools hold leadership positions after they graduate from high school. (National Coalition of Girls’ Schools, www.ncgs.org, 2000)
- Community Connections: Take advantage of the exceptional people and universities in the Triangle that provide academic strength and urban opportunities. We offer internships and the ability to take college-level courses as needed through our relationships with local universities. Community service opportunities are avaialble through our partnerships with more than thirty local organizations.
- Heritage: Become a part of a 171-year-old tradition of academic excellence, honor, community, and opportunity for women to build friendships that will last a lifetime.
- School accreditations: SMS is a member of the National Coalition of Girls’ Schools, the National Association of Independent Schools, the National Association of Episcopal Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools, and The Association of Boarding Schools. The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Southern Association of Independent Schools.