14 Greenwood Lane
Putney, VT 05346
Putney, VT 05346
Gr: (Boarding) 6-12 | 60 students
Greenwood's unique STEAM Program demonstrates the practical application of science, technology, engineering, architecture and mathematics. Our unique STEAM program not only incorporates creative and experiential learning components, but also highlights and showcases the robotics work produced by our students at many events throughout the year.
Greenwood students don't build their futures on remediated weaknesses, but they do build lives and careers on their strengths and talents. Therefore, Greenwood boys have many opportunities to discover, develop and showcase their creative abilities. For instance, Greenwood offers metal works such as welding and blacksmithing, woodshop classes, and an advanced rock band.
The Greenwood School believes that when service and learning are strategically used as tools for self-growth, the results can profoundly shift how young people see themselves in the world. Greenwood boys have many opportunities throughout the year to volunteer their time and energy to local causes as well as have the opportunity to travel nationwide.
Greenwood's intense language remediation is balanced with well-developed enrichment programs. Greenwood boys gain confidence as their reading, writing and organizational skills improve, allowing them to enjoy learning once again and to develop their strengths and discover new talents in music, art, woodworking and athletics. Creative classes are taught by professionals in their respective fields.
The dormitory is the center of social life for students. Greenwood students socialize in two common rooms equipped with couches, games, books and other entertainment options. At Greenwood, teachers share residential duties including study hall, dormitory supervision and weekend supervision to ensure continuity between the residential and academic settings.
The Greenwood School is a boarding and day school for boys in grades 6 through 12.
For over thirty years Greenwood has empowered bright and talented boys who face dyslexia, related language-based learning challenges, dyscalculia, ADHD, executive function deficits and social pragmatic challenges with the skills necessary to bridge the gap between their outstanding promise and present abilities.
Greenwood offers a comprehensive, individualized remedial program balanced with an emphasis on enrichment programs designed to awaken students` hidden talents.
The result is a school that transforms lives by providing the best environment possible for students with specific learning challenges to realize their academic, social, and creative potentials.
We use a diagnostic-prescriptive teaching model based on testing data and research-proven programs which allows for our curriculum to be tailored to each student.
Top 20 Placements
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 323 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|The Greenwood School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||100 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||60 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Khaki pants or jeans and a collared shirt)
|Average Class Size||5 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:2||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$77,639||$47,425|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$10,000||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Aria Carter|
|Associate Director of Admissions|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cycling, Equestrian, Fencing, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Ski Jumping, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Ultimate Frisbee, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||20||23|
|Extracurriculars||Archery Club, Blacksmithing, Canoe Club, Ceramics Club, Cross Country, Downhill Skiing, Film Making Club, Healthy, Internship, Intramural Sports, Mountain, Music, Outdoor, Robotics, Rock, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, STEAM, Voice, Woodworking|
- In order to maximize every boy`s potential, all students receive a language tutorial that is specific to his unique learning style and needs, all teachers are remedial language specialists, and all classes are integrated so that students learn and apply literacy and organizational skills across the academic program.
- Greenwood boys develop strengths and awaken hidden talents in well-developed art, drama, music, woodworking and athletics programs.
- Diagnostic-prescriptive teaching that is multisensory, structured, and sequential ensures effective, individualized programs for all students.
- Highly structured academic and residential programs enable Greenwood boys to internalize organizational skills and strategies in all areas of their lives.
- For boys who demonstrate a need, Greenwood offers Speech and Language Therapy, Math Tutorials, Social Pragmatics, and Occupational Therapy.
- Interscholastic sports and noncompetitive sports are open to any student who wishes to participate.
- Greenwood`s 100-acre, forested campus on a Vermont hillside offers miles of trails for hiking, biking, archery, and cross-country skiing; a 3-acre pond for canoeing, fishing, and ice skating; and a skate/bike park equipped with a halfpipe and dirt jumps.
- The Greenwood applicant should possess "average" to "above" average cognitive skills as measured on the WISC IV. When looking at borderline test scores it is encouraging to see variability in subtest scores that suggest areas of strength.
- Some Greenwood applicants may exhibit avoidance behaviors due to frustration and low self-esteem resulting from their learning challenges. However, once in Greenwood`s safe and supportive community, our students feel they are finally understood, and they experience the academic success they deserve for their efforts. Greenwood does not accept students with primary social, emotional, or behavioral difficulties.
- The Greenwood School is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and is approved by the state of Vermont and the New England Association of Independent Schools.
- LD types supported: AD/HD, Dyslexia / Language-Based Learning Differences, Executive Function Skill Defecits, Social Pragmatics
- School accreditations: NEASC, The State of VT, NAIS
Submit Review for The Greenwood School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 5-9 | 145 students 64.6 miles404 Robin Hill Street
Marlborough, MA 01752
Grades: 3-12 | 21 students 35.1 miles28 Patey Circle
Rindge, NH 03461
Grades: 3-9| 204 students 29.7 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
Grades: 6-9 | 214 students 54.7 miles62 Alumni Drive
Canaan, NH 03741
Grades: 4-9 | 60 students 109.3 miles4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
January 12, 2017
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
January 10, 2017
Boarding schools have their own jargon just like any activity or affinity group has.
January 04, 2017
There's a lot involved in selecting the right boarding school. Don't forget these ten important things when you apply.