5.00 (7 reviews)418 Houghton Brook Road
Putney, VT 05346
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 230 students
We are not a 'prep' school. While many of our students head off to the top colleges in the country, their experiences at Putney are about engaging material, expanding interests, and gaining tools, not 'preparing' to be somewhere else.
Art is a part of every student's daily life. We take the arts seriously while supporting a spirit of discovery. We offer 20 art forms, including blacksmithing, ceramics, chorus, creative writing, dance, drama, fiber arts, jazz, jewelry, orchestra, Latin dance, photography, sculpture, stained glass & woodworking.
Sustainability is at the center of a Putney education. It is embedded in our campus, our community, and our curriculum. We are located on a 500-acre working dairy farm in southeastern Vermont, this serves as a laboratory and partner for studying the world around us and applying the lessons we learn about ecology, forestry, energy and agriculture.
The community at Putney is warm, open, mutually respectful and rousing. We come together as a whole school three times per week. Every Thursday is All School Sing (pictured here), a tradition dating back to Putney's founding in the 30's, which spans a fun and eclectic assortment of styles from early American folk music to sea chanteys to Korean traditional
Putney is a co-educational boarding and day school for Grades 9-12 founded in 1935 by Carmelita Hinton. We are a progressive school, in that we value the idea that education is something to be actively pursued rather than passively received. Our commitment to Ms. Hinton's fundamental beliefs have have put Putney at the leading edge of education in America.
- Putney is about living fully: intellectual engagement, creative play, progressive learning for a sustainable future.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Gap Year Putney is a coeducational boarding and day school in Vermont. It values and practices progressive education, and has a diverse and rigorous curriculum. It boasts a strong academic program, along with a work job program. . .
- University of Maine Hands on discussion based learning as well as a focus on the individual. Relationships between students and teachers were much my friendly. Also real working experience (cooking food, working in the barn). . .
- Vassar College Putney is truly an experience unlike any other; an educational environment that develops strong thinkers and problem solvers. The faculty and core values foster creativity, support independence and growth, and ensure that students at once. . .
- Columbia University The sense community at Putney is just incredible. Sometimes I forget that I am at with students and teachers. I see them all as part of my family now and I find myself using the. . .
- Dartmouth College Putney is SO unique for a host of reasons, such as its small size, strong arts program, "project week" (which I will describe later), and its funky, spirited, and diverse student body. But its most. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|The Putney School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||11-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||500 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||230 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1725||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1580 - 1890||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$16 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$23,000||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||John Barrengos|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Lois Barber|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||7||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Crew, Cycling, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||23|
|Extracurriculars||Alpine Skiing & Snowboarding, Chamber, Drama Club, Fencing Club, Literary, Madrigals, Mountain, Orchestra, Yearbook|
|Year: 2007 - 2011||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Vermont||6|
|Sarah Lawrence College||5|
|Carnegie Mellon University||4|
|Mount Holyoke College||4|
|Rhode Island School of Design||4|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Putney School is designed for independent, motivated, and capable students seeking intellectual freedom, responsibility and opportunities for competence in a variety of fields. The school's 500-acre campus is situated on a working Vermont dairy farm that supports a rich curriculum in sustainability. Putney`s vigorous liberal arts program prepares students for top colleges and the real world.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
Submit Review for The Putney School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 240 students 10.9 miles10 Long Walk
Saxtons River, VT 05154
March 16, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
March 15, 2017
"Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you..." Brought to you by Boarding Schools in the USA
March 15, 2017
North American boarding schools regularly send admissions staff overseas to hold recruitment fairs in your area.