5.00 (12 reviews)One Lamplighter Way
Mount Hermon, MA 01354
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 650 students
NMH prides itself on how dynamic the classroom life is. Students take three main academic classes that run for an hour and twenty minutes every day for a semester. With an average of eleven students per class, NMH students develop strong connections with their peers and teachers.
NMH's campus encompasses 1,565 scenic acres on the wooded banks of the Connecticut River and is near the borders of Vermont and New Hampshire. The culturally rich five-college region of Northampton and Amherst is a 40-minute drive south. New York City is only 3.5 hours south and Boston is 2 hours east of campus.
NMH offers one of the broadest athletics programs among secondary schools in the country??and our unique College Model Academic Program allows students to participate at no sacrifice to studies. This creates opportunities to discover and cultivate passions that lie within them while learning valuable lessons about sportsmanship and leadership. Students compete in 20 interscholastic sports on more than 60 teams.
Life in the dorms is a rich and vital part of the NMH experience, with students from all over the country and even the globe sharing good times together. Dorms are more than places for students to lay their heads at night; each one is a social hub and a welcome home base for both boarding and day students
Under the gaze of professional artists, musicians, and actors, surrounded by the brand new thirty million dollar, 63,000 sq. foot Rhodes Arts Center, NMH students thrive in the arts. The RAC, as it is known on campus, houses three theaters (Concert, Theatrical, Black Box), three professional recording studios, student and professional art galleries, and instrument specific practice rooms.
The NMH farm is a small, diversified New England farm. Maple sugaring is our largest single agricultural endeavor. Our 2,200 taps produce about 24,000 gallons of sap, which boils down to approximately 600 gallons of syrup. We also make ice cream, milk and cheese from our dairy cows; produce apple cider, syrup, and jelly; and raise pigs and chickens.
- Northfield Mount Hermon (NMH) is an independent coeducational boarding and day school for 650 students in grades 912 and a postgraduate year.
- Our mission is to provide an exceptional, well-grounded education for the "head, heart, and hand" of each student.
- Located in western Massachusetts on the Connecticut River, NMH balances academic excellence and a challenging college-preparatory curriculum with opportunities in athletics, the arts, international studies, and service work.
- Supported and empowered by expert faculty and staff, students are encouraged to pursue their passions and discover new ones, to make their own unique contribution to the NMH community, and to understand their potential - in the NMH community, in college, and in the world.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Rochester This school was different from a lot of other boarding schools in the area because it fostered an environment where everyone wanted everyone else to achieve. Unlike other schools where every student made sure that. . .
- MCPHS University NMH is unique because of the strong sense of community built in the short or long time you are at NMH. Since I have graduated, I have talked to at least one if not more. . .
- Columbia University Well, if you have read the other reviews below, you will probably have read enough about NMH's work job program. However I can't stress enough how much the work job program has prepared me for. . .
- University of Durham NMH is a small but diverse community of passionate, curious, and very busy students, faculty and staff. The school has a deep commitment to awareness of global issues, social justice, service, sustainability, understanding of religion. . .
- Amherst College NMH requires each student to do a workjob: four hours of some sort of work (kitchen, dorm cleaner, student leader etc.) each week. Service to the community is one of the principles NMH was founded. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Northfield Mount||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||1565 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||650 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||25||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$139 million||$16 million|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||73%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Claude Anderson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||25||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Biology B, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chemistry B, AP Chinese Language, AP Computer Science, AP Drawing, AP Economics, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, Culture and Civilization, AP Latin: Vergil, AP Modern European History, AP Music Theory and Harmony, AP Physics B, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Two-Dimensional Design, AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||45||23|
|Extracurriculars||AASA: Asian American Students Association, Activities Programming Board, AIMS: Association in the Interest of a Multicultural School, American Indian Students Association, Amnesty International Club, Animal Rights Club, Artists Activists Alliance, Astronomy Club, Campus Republicans, Chamber, Christian Fellowship Club, Circle of Sisters, Concert Club, Dance Club, Deacons of the Church of Christ, Debate Club, Environment Club, GEECS: Guild of Electrical Engineers, Gemini: yearbook, HBH: Homo-Hetero-Bisexual Alliance, Interfaith Club, International Student Club, Intramural Sports, Jazz Club, Jewish Student Alliance,|
|Year: 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||12|
|George Washington University||5|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Northfield Mount Hermon (NMH) is an independent coeducational boarding and day school for 650 students in grades 912 and a postgraduate year. NMH`s mission is to provide an exceptional, well-grounded education for the "head, heart, and hand" of each student.
- Located in western Massachusetts on the Connecticut River, NMH balances academic excellence and a challenging, innovative college-preparatory curriculum with extensive opportunities in international studies, athletics, the arts, and service work. Supported and guided by expert faculty and staff, students are encouraged to pursue their passions and discover new ones, and to make their own unique contribution to the NMH community.
- NMH`s mission is to encourage students to think critically, act with humanity, and discover within themselves a sense of purpose. To that end, our faculty devote an extraordinary amount of time and energy to fostering students` accomplishment and success, both in and out of the classroom.
- Our distinctive "College Model Academic Program" (CMAP) is centered around class periods that are longer than a typical high school class (80 minutes). This allows students to explore subjects in greater depth and spend more time with their teachers. Students take three major courses each semester - six per year, which is one more than at schools that have traditional schedules. The average class size is 11 students, and NMH`s overall studentteacher ratio is 6 to 1.
- NMH combines academic demands with a commitment to life balance. We focus on the whole student, and aim to be flexible in meeting individual needs while also integrating students into a diverse, busy community. Our "Partnership of 12" initiative is a network of adults (at least a dozen every semester) who support each student every day, including teachers, coaches, dorm staff, and work supervisors.
- Students choose from dozens of sports teams, performing arts ensembles, and affinity groups and clubs. They have the opportunity to study abroad on academic trips led by NMH faculty, volunteer for outreach and service activities, or help on the school`s working farm. Each student contributes to the community by holding down a four-hour weekly job in the school`s work program. Jobs include giving tours for prospective students, doing chores on the farm, or washing dishes in the dining hall, doing administrative tasks in one of the school`s many offices, and a variety of other responsibilities.
- NMH has made serious commitments to multiculturalism throughout its 136-year history. Currently, 25 percent of the student body is international, and the school focuses extensively on racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, religious, and gender diversity in extracurricular workshops and events throughout the year.
- NMH is located two hours west of Boston; New York City is less than four hours south. The rural location is balanced with facilities such as a recently built $34 million arts center. Construction of a new science, math, and technology facility begins in the fall.
- NMH has no preconceived notion of who students ought to be, but great expectations of what they can be. At NMH, students are academically challenged, socially engaged, and constantly surprised by both themselves and the world.
- School accreditations: Institute for Independent Education; National Independent Private School Association; New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Submit Review for Northfield Mount Hermon
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 03, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
February 03, 2017
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
February 03, 2017
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.