541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
Saint James, NY 11780
Gr: (Boarding) 6-12, PG | 140 students
The Knox School is a small, coed, boarding (grades 6 - 12) and day (grades 6 - 12) school which offers a college preparatory curriculum within a supportive family environment.
Teachers and students have the opportunity to develop mentoring relationships through our Honors Portfolio Program as well as personal relationships through sports and weekend activities.
We are guided in every aspect of school life by our Core Values: courage, respect, scholarship, integrity, kindness, responsibility.
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 10 schools with < 200 students (out of 97 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|The Knox School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||48 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||140 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1641||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$16 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$24,200||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / Jun. 30 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||John Ettore|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||14|
|Sports||Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||7||23|
|Extracurriculars||Community Service Club, Knox Ambassadors, Literary magazine, Model UN, National Honor Society, Student Council, Yearbook|
- The Knox School (boarding and day, grades 6-12) is known for its close student and faculty relationships. With an enrollment of 145, Knox teachers make certain that every student is known, encouraged and supported.
- Knox offers a truly unique academic program with AP courses in all major disciplines, but also a supportive program call "Boost" that provides individually tailored extra support for selected students.
- Location! Location! Location! Few schools can offer as much as Knox is terms of setting. We are just one hour from New York City, but we are situated on 48 acres in beautiful Nissequogue with waterfront on Stony Brook Harbor. Do you love Riding and Crew? Come to Knox!
- For a small school we have big offerings in athletics and in the performing and studio arts. Students here can join, play, and lead in these and all of our clubs and activities.
- Recent graduates have attended colleges such as Boston College, Cornell, Emory, Franklin and Marshall, Harvard, MIT, Sarah Lawrence College,and the University of North Carolina. One on one college counseling is a big part of what we do, full time, for juniors and seniors.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- School accreditations: Middle States Association
Submit Review for The Knox School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 8-12, PG | 176 students 55.5 miles314 Mountain Road
Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520
Grades: 8-12, PG | 125 students 134.7 milesPO Box 9
Hoosick, NY 12089
Grades: 9-12, PG| 635 students 88.1 miles176 Edgerstoune Road
6-12, PG (day)
Princeton, NJ 08540
6-12, PG (day)
January 12, 2017
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
January 10, 2017
Boarding schools have their own jargon just like any activity or affinity group has.
January 04, 2017
There's a lot involved in selecting the right boarding school. Don't forget these ten important things when you apply.