5.00 (3 reviews)PO Box 600
Blairstown, NJ 07825
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 462 students
Founded in 1848, Blair Academy is a dynamic, coeducational boarding school in northwest New Jersey, located 65 miles from New York City.
Amid a caring, vibrant community, 460 students pursue a superior college preparatory education and explore their passions through myriad co-curricular activities.
Strong faculty-student relationships lead to exceptional learning and empower students to become persons of great accomplishment and character.
Blair graduates distinguish themselves at top colleges and as leaders in their professions and communities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Bowdoin college Blair isn't unique among boarding schools, and anyone who went to a mainstream boarding school who tries to tell you that theirs is different is full of it. What's unique about their school is that. . .
- University of Pennsylvania Blair is an extroardinarily close community of students, faculty and staff. My political science teacher was my hockey coach and my dorm parent. My college counselor still looks me up when he visits. . .
- Kenyon College Blair Academy provided me with the foundation to pursue serious academic study in college, medical school and what I learned at Blair continues to stand me in great stead as I practice medicine. The Blair experience. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Blair Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||463 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||462 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(business casual; no denim)
|Average Class Size||11 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||54||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$85 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$32,000||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Peter G. Curran|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Edward Wenner & Leucretia Shaw|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||54||16|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus A, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese Language and Culture, Comparative Government/Politics, Computer Science, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, French Literature, Latin, Microeconomics, Music Theory, Physics 1, Physics C - Electricity and Magnetism, Physics C - Mechanics, Psychology, Spanish Language, Studio Art Portfolio, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||33||23|
|Extracurriculars||A Capella, Academic Honor Committee, Blair Academy Dancers, Blair Academy Singers, Blair Literary Magazine, Blue and White Key, Christian Fellowship Club, Community Service Club, Earth Club, Headmasters' Societies Competitions, Healthy Relationships Committee, International Club, Investment Club, Jazz Club, Jewish Union, Kayaking, Math Team, Model UN, Outdoor Skills, Peer Tutoring, Perspectives, Prefects, Quiz Bowl, Rules and Discipline Committee, Society of Skeptics,|
|Year: 2010 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||26|
|University of Miami||14|
|University of Pennsylvania||11|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1848, Blair Academy is a dynamic, coeducational boarding school that engages 460 achievement-minded students in grades nine through twelve. On our historic campus, located 65 miles from New York City in New Jersey`s northwest hills, students pursue a superior college preparatory education amid a rich, vibrant community life. Strong student-teacher relationships are at the heart of the Blair experience. Expert faculty members teach our classes to exacting standards, yet, at the same time, they truly know-and care about-our students as scholars, leaders, athletes, artists, friends and individuals. This knowledge fosters personalized learning opportunities and leads to higher academic achievement as students are continually challenged to reach their full potential.At Blair, two faculty members mentor each student as he or she explores passions and interests in and out of the classroom. We consider a student`s academic commitment his or her most important responsibility, and our "open architecture" curriculum offers core courses and innovative electives, including 52 honors, Advanced Placement and post-AP classes. The School has a robust athletics program that emphasizes teamwork, resiliency, self-discipline and sportsmanship. Students may choose from among 28 varsity and 19 JV and thirds teams in traditional high school sports, as well as golf, skiing, squash and crew. In addition, Blair boasts a fine and performing arts program of depth, breadth and diversity. Regular art exhibits and theatrical productions, a variety of instrumental and choral ensembles, and eclectic courses ranging from architecture to video studies invite students to explore and develop their creativity. A host of clubs, weekend special events and time to simply relax with friends in the dormitories round out the Blair experience and give every student myriad opportunities to discover his or her best self.In all of our offerings, Blair prepares our students for success in an increasingly complex world. Leadership education and meaningful service initiatives are infused throughout our community and curriculum, and students at every level learn and practice effective communication, team-based problem solving, ethical decision making and cross-cultural relationship building. Each is a critical skill that will not only help Blair graduates distinguish themselves at the nation`s top colleges and universities, but, more importantly, find professional and personal fulfillment by ultimately making a difference in their communities and in the world.
- School accreditations: Middle States; TABS; NJAIS
Submit Review for Blair Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 817 students 48.6 miles2500 Main Street
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
Grades: 9-12, PG| 635 students 47 miles176 Edgerstoune Road
6-12, PG (day)
Princeton, NJ 08540
6-12, PG (day)
November 20, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.