583 Sugartown Road
Malvern, PA 19355
Malvern, PA 19355
Gr: (Boarding) 6-12, PG | 110 students
ASP is designed to meet the student at his instructional level and to aid in the process in reading, writing and math. We are dedicated to finding an approach that replaces failure with success.
There is strong school spirit at Phelps. Many boys participate in various sports, playing in the Tri County Independent School League.
ESL immerses the students in the English language and the American culture and improves their English proficiency for academic and social successes.
We offer a wide variety of sports for the student athlete: Varsity and JV Soccer, Cross Country, Golf, Varsity and JV Tennis, Varsity and JV basketball, Wrestling, Fitness/Weight Training, Roller Hockey, Lacrosse and baseball.
With small classes it's hard to disappear from the learning process. Instructors help to nurture in the boys a belief in themselves and their abilities.
The Phelps School is a priviate boarding and day school for boys in grades six through 12 and a postgraduate year.
We're a small school--about 110 students--so we can provide each student with a personalized learning experience.
We offer everything from Advanced Placement (AP) courses for gifted students to an Academic Support Program (ASP) for students with learning differences.
What truly differentiates The Phelps School is the dedication we have to each individual boy and helping him to reach his full potential academically, personally and socially.
Our staff and faculty are deeply committed, and involved 24-7 in our students' lives as teachers, coaches, dorm parents and more.
We have competitive athletic teams and all kind of extracurricular activies, all on our 70-acre campus in Malvern, PA.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms
2015 School Data
|The Phelps School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Preparatory||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||70 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||110 students||300 students|
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Khaki pants and jacket)
|Average Class Size||7 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$46,800||$46,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$5,000||$21,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Ira Miles|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Lisa Ballard|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|Courses||AB Calculus (AP), BC Calculus (AP), Biology (AP), Chemistry (AP), English Language and Composition (AP), English Literature and Composition (AP), Environmental Science (AP), Physics (AP), Psychology (AP), Spanish (AP), Statistics (AP), U.S. Government & Politics (AP), U.S. History (AP), World History (AP)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||24|
|Extracurriculars||Film Appreciation, Fitness, Gardening, Indoor Sports, Music, National Honors Society, Rocketry, Studio Arts, Yearbook|
|Year:2013 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Pennsylvania State University||4|
|Michigan State University||3|
|Boise State University||1|
|High Point University||1|
|University of Connecticut||1|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||1|
|West Virginia University||1|
The Phelps School, located in Malvern, Pennsylvania, is a private, nonsectarion boarding and day school for boys in grades six through 12 and a postgraduate year. Founded in 1946 by Dr. Norman T. Phelps, it upholds its original credo of "Dedication to the Individual Boy." True to this philosophy, The Phelps School is committed to providing a hightly customized educational experience that empowers each student to reach his fullest potential academically, personally and socially. The school serves a diverse population of aproximately 110 students annually, of which 35 percent are international students and 30 are day students.
- With approximately 110 students enolled our average class size of seven. The Phelps School offers the ideal setting for boys who thrive in a small, nurturing and structured environment.
- Learning at the Phelps School is peronalized for each student and ranges from college-level Advanced Placement (AP) courses for academically gifted students to comprehensive Academic Support Program (ASP) for students with learning differences.
- The Phelps School is non to take the holistic approach to the educational experience, fostering the growth intellectual knowledge, social awareness, work ethic and commitment to service to develop young men of character and integrity.
- The staff and the faculty at The Phelps School are deeply invested in the wellbeing of each student and his ability to achieve individual success.
- Our student population is highly diverse, uniting students from different cultures and backgrounds and with varying skill-sets.
- The small size of The Phelps School provides every student with numerous opportunities to excel and flourish in academics, athletics and leadership.
- As an all boys school, The Phelps School understands boys and their needs.
- The Phelps school transforms lives by empowering students to reach their highest potential. We prepare students for college and for life.
- LD types supported: Our comprehensive Academic Support Program is a solid component of our college-preparatory program.
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), International Boys' School Coalition (IBSC)
Submit Review for The Phelps School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 8-12 | 190 students 4.2 mi1001 East Lincoln Highway
Exton, PA 19341
Grades: 9-12| 366 students 5.4 mi975 Westtown Rd
West Chester, PA 19382
Grades: 7-12| 300 students 7.1 mi1001 Eagle Road
Wayne, PA 19087
Grades: 9-12, PG | 515 students 16.5 mi717 East High Street
Pottstown, PA 19464
(610) 326-100016.59-12, PG515
Grades: 6-12, PG | 336 students 25.9 mi200 Seminary Street
Pennsburg, PA 18073
January 28, 2016
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
January 25, 2016
Here are five questions the answers to which will introduce you to the world of private schools.
January 05, 2016
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.