5.00 (1 review)241 Woodberry Station
Woodberry Forest, VA 22989
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 399 students
- Founded in 1889, Woodberry Forest School is an all-boarding community for boys in grades nine through twelve.
- A Woodberry education, centered around a century-old, student-run honor system, emphasizes intellectual thoroughness and moral integrity.
- Our 1200-acre campus features state-of-the-art facilities and technology for academic, athletic, and artistic endeavors.
- All students participate in an extensive leadership development program.
- Our school is located in scenic Madison County, Virginia, a short drive from Washington, D.C., Charlottesville, or Richmond.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Brown University WFS was pretty unique in that it was an all boys school. This aspect of the school really scares off potential students, but I can't even remember the number of classmates I had my. . .
Top 20 Placements
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 324 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Woodberry Forest||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||1200 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||399 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1819||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1630 - 1990||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Collared shirts and slacks)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$292 million
(unaudited as of June 2016 ($739,240 per student))
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$32,505||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||67%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Scott Schamberger|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||25||23|
|Extracurriculars||Bicycling Club, Book Club, Boy Scouts, Cheerleaders, Choir, Computer Club, Debate Club, Dramatics, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), Fir Tree (Yearbook), International Relations Club, Math Team, Minority Caucus, Model UN, Outing Club, Rapidan Program, Rod and Gun Club, Student Council, Student Newspaper, The Academic Team, The Dozen, The Mentor Program, The Talon (lit mag), Woodberry Ambassadors, Woodberry Christian Fellowship|
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Alabama||87|
|University of South Carolina||73|
|Sewanee: University of the South||71|
|University of Virginia||62|
|University of North Carolina||60|
|University of Mississippi||58|
|North Carolina State University||48|
|University of Georgia||45|
- School accreditations: Accredited by Southern Assoication of Colleges and Schools and Virginia Association of Independent Schools. Member College Board, NACAC, and NAIS
Submit Review for Woodberry Forest School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 03, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
February 03, 2017
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
February 03, 2017
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.