205 Bidwell Parkway
Buffalo, NY 14222
Buffalo, NY 14222
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 214 students
Hornet/Jacket Day is celebrated every fall with field games, dances, and parade. It is also the day that new students and faculty find out which they will be, for life. The intramural competition created by Headmistress Miss Angell celebrated its 100th anniversary this year - 2015-16.
SEM is located in the heart of the historic Elmwood Village neighborhood of Buffalo, NY, just steps from cafes, shops and art galleries. As an urban boarding school, SEM students enjoy the culture, entertainment and shopping that only a city can offer.
Our 5- and 7-day boarding students offer each other new perspectives. The SEM campus comprises our 100 year-old school building, 5 recently renovated historic homes where residents live family-style with faculty member house directors, and our playing field.
SEM students can express their creative side in the skylit art room, or the digital art and photography classroom. Musical expression finds space in either ensemble, glee club or SEMACHORDS, our acapella group. We also have a fall and spring play in our black box theater and host the ESU Shakespeare competition.
Buffalo Seminary is a nondemoninational, independent, day and boarding school for college-bound girls.
Since 1851, we've created a culture of achievement, scholarship, service, and leadership for girls.
We offer humanities and STEAM curricula enhanced with technology and athletics, arts, and clubs.
Bound by its honor code, SEM's environment encourages girls to challenge themselves, express themselves, and to succeed.
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Buffalo Seminary||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||3 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||214 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1740||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(No jeans. No sweats.)
|Average Class Size||11 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$7 million
(Remarkable Opportunities - Campaign begun 2014 )
(International students please call for tuition.)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$10,000||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Laura Munson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, French Language, Physics Mechanics C, Spanish Language, Statistics, US Government & Politics, World History, Macroeconomics, Psychology, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Crew, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||36||23|
|Extracurriculars||AnimalAwareness, Book Club, BootCamp, Chess Club, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Community Service Club, Cum Laude, Dance Club, Diversity Club, DonateLife, Dorm Prefects, Drama Club, Ensemble, Environmental, Fashion Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Glee Club, International Club, JusticeLeague, Math, MockTrial, ModelUN, NationalHonorSociety, Outdoors,|
- More opportunities for girls: Our single-gender environment and small size afford girls more opportunities than they might have at a co-ed school. Each student has the chance to find her passion through a variety of academic and extracurricular opportunities.
- Leaders for life: SEM students enjoy not just equal opportunity, but every opportunity. All our class officers, club presidents, team captains, and student mentors are girls.
- College prep that goes beyond standardized testing: Our rigorous academic program, bolstered by an independent curriculum, prepares students to think for themselves, both in and out of the classroom.
- An average class size of 12 students: Our small classes guarantee individual attention, so no student goes unnoticed. Our advisory program also empowers our girls by building positive student-teacher relationships while encouraging open communication with parents.
- Teachers who are as passionate as they are experienced: Our faculty is made up of educators, six of whom hold PhD's, who are committed to student-centered teaching. Experts in their field, they use Harkness tables to foster engaged, student-centered learning.
- Beloved traditions combined with 21st century learning: Founded in 1851, SEM has a rich history that still resonates today. We combine a respect for the past with a commitment to each girl`s future.
- Technology that puts girls in control: Our one-to-one laptop program, STEAM curriculum, digital printing and NAO robot give each student hands-on, project-based learning.
- Clubs and activities: Whether it`s through music, art, drama, sports, or social and intellectual pursuit girls find an extracurricular outlet at SEM. Clubs and activities are determined by student interest, and every girl participates in community service throughout her four years.
- A culture of freedom, a code of honor: SEM students enjoy independence, while embracing a high level of responsibility. Our school honor code fosters trust and respect by preparing girls for the rewards and responsibilities of the 21st century.
- A beautiful building on the National Register of Historic Places.
- School accreditations: National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), Small Boarding School Association (SBSA), The National Coalition of Girls' Schools (NCGS), Online School for Girls (OSG)
Submit Review for Buffalo Seminary
- School Location Miles Grades Students
January 12, 2017
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
January 10, 2017
Boarding schools have their own jargon just like any activity or affinity group has.
January 04, 2017
There's a lot involved in selecting the right boarding school. Don't forget these ten important things when you apply.