5.00 (5 reviews)P.O. Box 308
Tyrone, PA 16686
Gr: (Boarding) 7-12, PG | 315 students
Grier School is a boarding and day school for girls in grades 7-12, located in Central Pennsylvania. Our 300 students enjoy a well-rounded education in academics, the arts, and athletics.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Pennsylvania State University Grier School is unique in a number of different ways, but the aspect that I value most as a former student has to do with the atmosphere and student body. Many people ask me what. . .
- Penn State University For me, there are so many aspects of Grier that make it unique to other boarding schools. At Grier, you don't receive the "run-of-the-mill" boarding school experience. There, it was not just about. . .
- Hollins University One aspect that sets Grier apart from other schools is that all of the students live on campus - school is home. Under this setup, students also bond more easily with one another, and the. . .
- University of Pennsylvania Grier is a school that develops young women with the confidence to be their best and be themselves. Grier values and supports each individual student. Its hallmarks are community, diversity and focus on developing each. . .
- University of Pittsburgh and Boston University Grier has one of the most beautiful settings of any school I have ever seen nestled in the middle of scenic Pennsylvania. In the years since I was a student there it has added many. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Grier School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||7-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||320 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||315 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1280||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1090 - 1430||-|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||9 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$20 million||$16 million|
(International students may not be day students.)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,000||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jennifer Neely|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Katharine Kingera|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||16|
|Courses||Art History, Art Portfolio, Biology, Chemistry, Microeconomics, Statistics, US History, Calculus A/B, Calculus B/C, English, Environmental Science, European History, French, Macroeconomics, Physics, Physics C, Spanish, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||14|
|Sports||Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Fencing, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||19||23|
|Extracurriculars||Astronomy Club, Athletic Association, Book Club, Concert Club, Ecology Club, Essence Club, Flute Choir, Gourmet Club, Green & Gold, Grier Dance, Jazz Club, Knitting Club, Orchestra, Pine Needle Yearbook, Post and Rail (horseback riding), Robotics Club, Rock Band, Spanish Club, Triple Trio|
|Year: 2010 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Pennsylvania State University||5|
|New York University||4|
|University of Wisconsin||2|
|Berklee College of Music||1|
|School of the Art Institute of Chicago||1|
|School of the Visual Arts||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Grier School is a boarding and day school for girls in grades 7-12, located in Central Pennsylvania. Our 315 students enjoy a well-rounded education in academics, the arts, and athletics.
- School accreditations: Middle States Association
Submit Review for Grier School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
December 06, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.