5.00 (5 reviews)717 East High Street
Pottstown, PA 19464
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 523 students
All students are required to attend sit-down family-style meals together in the Dining Room for lunch, and boarding students attend seated dinners several nights a week. Faculty members and their families join the students in a relaxed, yet formal atmosphere, where they enjoy interaction with one another outside of the classroom.
Boarding students reside on campus in one of six dormitory complexes. Faculty members and their families live in apartments in each dorm.
Headmaster Zachary G. Lehman is passionate about seeing Hill described as 'both the most traditional and the most innovative secondary school in the country ?? simultaneously.' To that end, The Hill School complements its traditions with an energetic level of innovation
Founded in 1851, The Hill School is a purposefully small and close learning community - a place where our academic excellence is based upon a challenging liberal arts curriculum; a faculty of highly qualified, dedicated teachers; a noteworthy breadth of advanced and honors course offerings; and a structured atmosphere that blends high expectations with meaningful support.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Colorado Mesa University A smaller number of students attend the Hill School than most other boarding schools that I know of. This allows a more personal approach to be taken by the teachers and dorm parents, the. . .
- Pepperdine University The two aspects of The Hill School that make it unique are the professors' relationship with the students and the traditions at The Hill. First off, professors are involved in all aspects of school life. . .
- Johns Hopkins University Student body is comprised of motivated individuals from a diverse background. A high ratio of advanced degree masters to students. Well endowed with a very active alumni involvement. A dynamic Headmaster. . .
- Transylvania University The very low student to faculty ratio was very instrumental in selecting Hill as my choice for a boarding school. Interaction with teachers was very important and they were always willing to accommodate their schedules. . .
- University of New Hampshire The Hill School experience is wonderful. Your classmates are very intelligent and hard-working and they expect 100% all the time. The Hill School prepares you for Ivy League colleges with a great background in many. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Hill School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||300 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||523 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1885||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1680 - 2080||-|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||27||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$153 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$34,500||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80||-|
|Director of Admissions||Tom Eccleston|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Amanda Dougherty|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||48||23|
|Extracurriculars||Action AIDS, Archaelogy Club, Asian Culture Club, Barbecue Club, Chamber, Chapel, Chess Club, Community Service Club, Ellis Theater Guild, Fine Woodworking Club, Fly Fishing Club, Food Club, French Club, Games Club, Glee Club, Guitar Club, Habitat for Humanity, Hill Athletic Association, Hilltone Trebles, Hilltones, Honor, International Culture Exchange, Jazz Club, Math & Computer Club, Model United Nations,|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1851, The Hill School is a purposefully small and close learning community -- a place where our academic excellence is based upon a challenging liberal arts curriculum, a faculty of highly qualified, dedicated teachers; a noteworthy breadth of advanced and honors course offerings; and a structured atmosphere that blends high expectations with meaningful support. Headmaster Zachary G. Lehman is passionate about seeing Hill described as "both the most traditional and the most innovative secondary school in the country simultaneously." To that end, The Hill School complements its traditions with an energetic level of innovation. The School is evaluating and implementing educational technologies that allow its students to access, synthesize, and apply knowledge in new ways: quickly, collaboratively, and creatively. Over the coming years, The Hill will affirm what it already does very well while considering new curricular and co-curricular programs, finding improved ways to teach all Hill students 21st century success skills such as critical thinking and problem solving, collaboration and leading, agility and adaptability, initiative and entrepreneurship, effective oral and written communication, accessing and analyzing data, and curiosity and imagination.
- LD types supported: we support students with mild learning differences
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Submit Review for Hill School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
November 20, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.