2001 Riverside Drive
Gainesville, GA 30501
Gainesville, GA 30501
Gr: (Boarding) 7-12 | 530 students
Aerial view of the Riverside Military Academy campus. Riverside is located on Lake Lanier in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains just one hour north of Atlanta, GA.
The Riverside Band plays during the annual Atlanta Veterans' Day Parade. The Riverside Military Academy Corps of Cadets frequently wins the coveted President's Trophy for Best Marching Unit.
Riverside's Sandy Beaver Center for Teaching and Learning features an extensive library, performing and fine arts classrooms, and a large theatre with 725 seats. Our students have many opportunities to perform in plays or musicals, band, chorus, and regional/state competitions.
Riverside's art courses include pottery, ceramics, stone carving, and drawing. Advanced Art students also learn to use a 3D printer. Many of our students have earned scholarships to art & design schools, and some of our students have won awards for their artwork.
Located one hour north of Atlanta, Georgia, Riverside Military Academy has remained one of the nation's premier college preparatory academies for young men in grades 7-12 since 1907.
Our mission is to provide a supportive and challenging educational environment that fosters scholarly competence and intellectual curiosity, enhances spiritual and physical fitness, and develops leadership skills and the strength of character necessary for success in college and in life.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms
2015 School Data
|Riverside Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||206 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||530 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1323||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||20||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
|Average Class Size||15 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:15||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$40 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$39,985||$46,850|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||MAJ James Corbin, USAR|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||16|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus (AB), Chemistry, English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition, Physics, Psychology, Statistics, U.S. History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Drill Team, Fencing, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||24|
|Extracurriculars||Academic Bowl, Airsoft Team, Boy Scouts, Chorus, Color Guard, Community Service Program, Debate, Drama, Drill Team, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Honor Council, International Club, JETS-TSA Club, Jewish Students Association, JROTC, Korean Fellowship Club, Library Forum, Multimedia Club, National Honor Society, O.R. Horton Society, Peer Tutoring Association, Science National Honor Society, Tri-M Music Honor Society, Yearbook|
|Year: 2014 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of North Georgia||7|
|Savannah College of Art and Design||4|
|U.S. Military Academy - West Point||4|
|University of Arizona||4|
|Marion Military Institute||3|
|Embry Riddle Aeronautical University||2|
|Florida Institute of Technology||2|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Dr. James H. Benson,Col. USMC (Ret) became the president of Riverside Military Academy on June 1, 2009. Colonel Benson was the 15th president of Marion Military Institute, Marion, Alabama from July 15, 2004 to May 31, 2009. Colonel Benson retired from the Marine Corps in 1995. He served as the Vice President for administration at Bridgewater College until 2004. Colonel Benson received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Bridgewater College and holds a Master of Science Degree from the University of Tennessee, a Master of Public Administration Degree from Penn State University, and the doctorate in Higher Education Administration from The George Washington University. He is also a graduate of the Armed Forces Staff College and the Army War College. Colonel Benson`s military career included assignments as Commanding Officer, JTF-129, Special Operations Counter-terrorism Joint Task Force; Commanding Officer, Sixth Marine Regiment; and Chief of Staff/Assistant Division Commander of the Second Marine Division. He is a decorated combat veteran of the Vietnam War. In 2007, Colonel Benson completed a book published by Trafford Publishing Company entitled, So You Want to be a Leader? He and his wife Mary have a daughter, Catherine R. Benson,and a son, James H. Benson II.
- Through the academy's military structure, cadets learn self-discipline, honor, and leadership skills.
- Riverside's Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC)has been designated as a JROTC Honor Unit with Distinction for over 80 years. This means that Riverside can recommend up to 5 cadets per year to the 5 federal service academies.
- Riverside also offers a "Dual Enrollment" program. For qualified senior cadets, they can enroll and take online college courses while taking classes simultaneously at Riverside.
- Riverside offers a Georgia Driver's Education course for young men who would like to obtain their Driver's License. In addition, we also offer a Flight Program for young men interested in obtaining their pilot's license.
- The Academy offers a 4 week summer school program each year.
- Riverside is located one hour north of Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. The Commadant's office can make shuttle arrangments for our cadets needing transportation to and from the airport.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- School accreditations: SACS;SAIS;NAIS;SABS
Submit Review for Riverside Military Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 7-12, PG | 298 students 181.5 miles520 Hwy. 1 North
Camden, SC 29020
Grades: 7-12, PG | 210 students 303.1 miles200 Military Drive
Chatham, VA 24531
Grades: 7-12, PG | 535 students 391.1 milesP.O. 278, 4744 James Madison Hwy
Fork Union, VA 23055
Grades: 7-12 | 170 students 377.4 miles225 S. Wayne Avenue
Waynesboro, VA 22980
Grades: 7-12, PG | 250 students 556.2 miles204 Grand Street
Mexico, MO 65265