2001 Riverside Drive
Gainesville, GA 30501
Gainesville, GA 30501
Gr: (Boarding) 7-12 | 530 students
Aerial view of the Riverside Military Academy campus. Riverside is located on Lake Lanier in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains just one hour north of Atlanta, GA.
The Riverside Band plays during the annual Atlanta Veterans' Day Parade. The Riverside Military Academy Corps of Cadets frequently wins the coveted President's Trophy for Best Marching Unit.
Riverside's Sandy Beaver Center for Teaching and Learning features an extensive library, performing and fine arts classrooms, and a large theatre with 725 seats. Our students have many opportunities to perform in plays or musicals, band, chorus, and regional/state competitions.
Riverside's art courses include pottery, ceramics, stone carving, and drawing. Advanced Art students also learn to use a 3D printer. Many of our students have earned scholarships to art & design schools, and some of our students have won awards for their artwork.
Located one hour north of Atlanta, Georgia, Riverside Military Academy has remained one of the nation's premier college preparatory academies for young men in grades 7-12 since 1907.
Our mission is to provide a supportive and challenging educational environment that fosters scholarly competence and intellectual curiosity, enhances spiritual and physical fitness, and develops leadership skills and the strength of character necessary for success in college and in life.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Riverside Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||206 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||530 students||295 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1323||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||20||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$40 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$39,985||$47,425|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||MAJ James Corbin, USAR|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||16|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus (AB), Chemistry, English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition, Physics, Psychology, Statistics, U.S. History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Drill Team, Fencing, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||26||23|
|Extracurriculars||Academic Bowl, Airsoft Club, Boy Scouts, Chorus, Color Guard, Community Service Club, Debate Club, Drama Club, Drill Team, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Fishing Club, Honor, International Club, JETS-TSA Club, Jewish Students Association, JROTC, Korean Fellowship Club, Library Forum, Multimedia Club, National Honor Society, O.R. Horton Society, Peer Tutoring Association, Sailing Club, Science National Honor Society, Tri-M Music Honor Society,|
|Year: 2014 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of North Georgia||7|
|Savannah College of Art and Design||4|
|U.S. Military Academy - West Point||4|
|University of Arizona||4|
|Marion Military Institute||3|
|Embry Riddle Aeronautical University||2|
|Florida Institute of Technology||2|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Colonel William J. Gallagher, USA (Ret) became the 9th President of Riverside Military Academy on June 10, 2016. Colonel Gallagher served as the Dean of the College & Commandant of Cadets at Valley Forge Military Academy & College, with a thirty-five year career that spans both the military and education. A Philadelphia native and graduate of Saint Joseph`s Prep, he was commissioned in the infantry after graduating from the United States Military Academy at West Point. During the next twenty-eight years he commanded platoons, companies, a battalion, and a brigade; served as a TAC Officer at West Point and as an Eisenhower Fellow in the Behavioral Sciences & Leadership Department; completed two Pentagon assignments, one on the Joint Staff (J5) arms control treaty negotiations and the other as the Special Assistant to the Chief of Staff of the Army; was the Chief of Operations for the 1st Cavalry Division and Chief of Operations, Plans, and Training (Division G3) for the 4th Infantry Division; the Chief of Staff for Operations and later the Chief of Strategic Plans for the Iraqi theatre (Operation Iraqi Freedom) with Multi-National Force-Iraq in Baghdad; the Chief of US Army Europe`s Strategic Initiatives Group; the Chief of Staff for V (US) Corps, and the Deputy Chief of Staff for US Army Europe in Heidelberg, Germany. He served three combat tours, and his military awards include three Legions of Merit, the Bronze Star, the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, and seven Meritorious Service Medals. Colonel Gallagher`s education includes a Bachelor of Science Degree (Aerospace Engineering), West Point; a Master of Arts Degree (Leader Development), West Point; a Master of Business Administration, Long Island University; the US Army Command and General Staff College (Certification as a Strategist); a Senior Service College research fellowship at the Harvard Kennedy School (National Security Studies), and numerous other military schools including Airborne and Ranger qualification. He is currently a doctoral candidate (Education) with the University of Liverpool. Following retirement from the Army, Colonel Gallagher served as the Associate Vice Chancellor for Operations and Administration & COO establishing New York University in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; the advisor to the Saudi Arabian Minister of Housing in Riyadh; and the Dean of Students and Deputy General Manager overseeing five men`s and two women`s colleges in Saudi Arabia for Laureate International Education. Bill is married to Lisa Gallagher, a Registered Nurse, and they have a daughter Kiera, an eighth grade teacher in Hawaii married to Will, an infantry First Lieutenant; a daughter Maggie, a sixth grade teacher in Hawaii; and a son Joe, a program coordinator in New York City. Bill and Lisa are active in their church, in the local business community, and in recreational athletics.
- Through the academy's military structure, cadets learn self-discipline, honor, and leadership skills.
- Riverside's Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC)has been designated as a JROTC Honor Unit with Distinction for over 80 years. This means that Riverside can recommend up to 5 cadets per year to the 5 federal service academies.
- Riverside also offers a "Dual Enrollment" program. For qualified senior cadets, they can enroll and take online college courses while taking classes simultaneously at Riverside.
- Riverside offers a Georgia Driver's Education course for young men who would like to obtain their Driver's License. In addition, we also offer a Flight Program for young men interested in obtaining their pilot's license.
- The Academy offers a 4 week summer school program each year.
- Riverside is located one hour north of Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. The Commadant's office can make shuttle arrangments for our cadets needing transportation to and from the airport.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- School accreditations: SACS;SAIS;NAIS;SABS
Submit Review for Riverside Military Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 7-12, PG | 298 students 181.5 miles520 Hwy. 1 North
Camden, SC 29020
Grades: 7-12, PG | 250 students 303.1 miles200 Military Drive
Chatham, VA 24531
Grades: 7-12, PG | 535 students 391.1 milesP.O. 278, 4744 James Madison Hwy
Fork Union, VA 23055
Grades: 7-12 | 170 students 377.4 miles225 S. Wayne Avenue
Waynesboro, VA 22980
Grades: 7-12, PG | 250 students 556.2 miles204 Grand Street
Mexico, MO 65265