200 Military Drive
Chatham, VA 24531
Chatham, VA 24531
Gr: (Boarding) 7-12, PG | 250 students
Take flight in Hargrave comprehensive basketball program. Postgraduate, varsity, JV and middle school team available. Departures daily.
Hargrave takes pride in making sure our Cadets are receiving a cutting edge education. Each year our curriculum includes more STEM-focused courses to challenge and prepare students for the careers of tomorrow. Pictured above: Two summer school students participating in robotics class.
Hargrave has a culturally diverse and strong international enrollment. The Cadets photographed represent four different countries and seven different languages spoken.
Hargrave strives to develop well-rounded young men. Hargrave offers various opportunities for Cadets to be involved with music and the arts. Pictured above are our Hargrave Highlanders Pipe and Drum Corps, under the direction of Tim Carpenter during a performance at Virginia International Raceway.
Located in Southwest Virginia, Hargrave Military Academy is a premier all-male college preparatory boarding school located in Chatham, Virginia.
The Academy is known for excellence in academics, athletics and character development.
In 2016, Hargrave was named a 'National School of Character' and is currently the only Virginia Military school to hold that distinction.
The Academy serves grades 7-12 and one postgraduate year.
It is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI) via AdvancED and the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS).
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Hargrave Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||7-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||214 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||250 students||295 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1515||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1370 - 1680||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Less than once a month||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
|Average Class Size||11 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:11||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$3 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$37,650||$47,425|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$7,000||$22,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Alice M. Hendrickson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||16|
|Courses||Algebra 1 (Honors), Algebra 2 Advanced (Honors), American Literature/Composition (Honors), AP Biology, AP Calculus A/B, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Literature, AP Physics 1, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, Biology (Honors), Chemistry (Honors), Critical Reading and Writing (CRW), English Literature/Composition (Honors), Geometry (Honors), Mandarin Chinese 3 (Honors), Pre-Calculus (Honors), Spanish 3 (Honors), Spanish 4 (Honors), Spanish AP, Virginia/US Government (Honors), World Studies (Honors)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Riflery, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||23|
|Extracurriculars||Battalion, Boy, Camden, Choir, Colin, Color, Computer Club, Fellowship, French Club, High, Highlanders, Historical Society Club, HMA, Honor, International Club, Junior, Literary, Marching, National, Paintball, Photography, Presidential, Sabre, Spanish, Speech,|
|Year: 2000 - 2010||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech)||37|
|University of North Carolina at Charlotte||16|
|North Carolina State University (NC State)||15|
|East Tennessee State University||14|
|Virginia Military Institute (VMI)||14|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||10|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Hargrave is a gateway school to institutions of higher learning. Partners include: U.S. Naval Academy Foundation; West Point Civil Prep Program; Norwich University; Georgia Military College and Marion Military Institute.
- Hargrave was named a 'National School of Character' by Character.org in 2016. Hargrave is proud to be the only Virginia military school to hold this distinction.
- Hargrave Military Academy (HMA) is one of the few secondary schools that maintains an independent military program, which means the Academy does not support itself through Federal funding via the Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps (JROTC). This offers HMA the most flexibility in providing a competitive curriculum.
- Hargrave consistently holds VAIS/SACS dual-accreditation. HMA strives to provide 21st-century learning focused on college prep. HMA offer competitive STEM programming, in addition to a competitive robotics team. Nine courses offered at the college level, either through AP or dual enrollment
- Hargrave's 'How to Study' program is taught and used by students daily. Hargrave's reading program helps build student comprehension for better academic success in both high school and college.
- Hargrave builds character and leadership through programs and community service. HMA is affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America and fully supports Troop 68, its own troop, on campus. HMA Scouts are dually enrolled in their home troop and at HMA while they attend. There is no loss of eligibility. HMA Scouts engage in activities on and off campus regularly. 74 Eagle Awards have been presented to Cadets since 1995.
- Hargrave strives to build healthy bodies and healthy minds. HMA is home to 22 competitive teams and a nationally recognized post graduate Basketball program. HMA supports and maintains a USA Swimming club team. USA Swimmers boarding at Hargrave as a Cadet do not have a waiting period between switching clubs, and can switch back when they return home.
- Hargrave is proud to offer a variety of visual and performing arts options, such as an active marching band and The Hargrave Highlanders, a bagpipe corps.
- Hargrave's Gen. Colin Powell Center for Leadership and Ethics adds a non-ROTC classroom element to the Academy's overall leadership training, teaching that good leadership is a learned.
- Hargrave's Postgraduate Basketball program won the 2016 National Prep Championship.
- School accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS); Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS): National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS); The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Submit Review for Hargrave Military Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 7-12, PG | 535 students 89.7 milesP.O. 278, 4744 James Madison Hwy
Fork Union, VA 23055
Grades: 7-12 | 170 students 89.8 miles225 S. Wayne Avenue
Waynesboro, VA 22980
Grades: 7-12, PG | 298 students 192.1 miles520 Hwy. 1 North
Camden, SC 29020
Grades: 6-12, PG | 100 students 149.3 miles614 South Main Street
Woodstock, VA 22664
Grades: 6-12, PG | 320 students 158.7 miles200 Academy Drive
Front Royal, VA 22630
October 14, 2016
"I'm wasting my time thinking about boarding school." No, you're not. Here's why.
September 19, 2016
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
September 14, 2016
Boarding schools are a subset of private schools which many people don't know much about. Here are five points to ponder as you research boarding schools.