900 Hillsborough St.
Raleigh, NC 27603
Raleigh, NC 27603
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 260 students
Saint Mary's School is dedicated to the academic excellence and personal achievement of girls with a mission to prepare girls for college and life. The school's academic program focuses on giving girls what they need to grow as lifelong learners, building on the Habits of a Lifelong Learner: critical thinking, communication and character.
Students enjoy an art class in one of Saint Mary's art studios on campus. Saint Mary's offers an extensive arts program comprised of music, dance, dramatic arts, and visual arts.
Saint Mary's School offers a historic, 23-acre campus in the heart of Raleigh, North Carolina, and is only minutes from the renowned Research Triangle. Its unique location provides a vibrant 24/7 campus with unlimited opportunities for learning both on and off campus.
At Saint Mary's School, we know girls and we know what they need to learn, grow and thrive. Our 8:1 student-faculty ratio allows for quality time with teachers and advisors and means every girl is known and valued.
Saint Mary's athletics program offers 11 sports - tennis, field hockey, volleyball, soccer, basketball, cross country, softball, lacrosse, golf, swimming, track and field.
In keeping with the school's Episcopal heritage, Saint Mary's students regularly participate in community service opportunities - from Habitat for Humanity projects pictured here, to the United Way annual MLK Day of Service, to volunteering their time at local schools and nearby service agencies .
Students with their teacher in the newly renovated Sarah Graham Kenan Library. This inviting space is the center of intellectual life for students and faculty. It serves as a 'creative commons' where students work collaboratively with classmates, work one-on-one with teachers and tutors or work individually to research assignments or just enjoy a good book or magazine.
Saint Mary's School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school dedicated to academic excellence and personal achievement for girls in grades 9-12.
|Definition of Terms
2015 School Data
|Saint Mary's School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||23 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||260 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 30 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kim McDowell|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Emily Smith|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||51||24|
|Extracurriculars||Beacon - Senior Honorary Leadership Club, Boarding and Day Prefects, Chamber, Chorale, Community Service Program, Cooking, Day Council, Dorm, Drama, Echo - Senior Washtub Singing Group, Environment Club, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools, Film, Flute Choir, Food Club, French Club, French National Honor Society, GAP - Global Ambassadors Program, Girls Club, Granddaughters Club, Judicial Board, Junior Classical League (Latin Club), Key Club, Ladies in Blue - a cappella group, Latin National Honors Society,|
|Year: 2005 - 2009||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||44|
|North Carolina State University||33|
|Appalachian State University||19|
|University of South Carolina at Columbia||16|
|East Carolina University||11|
|College of Charleston||9|
|Wake Forest University||8|
Why Saint Mary’s School?
- Academic Curriculum: We prepare young ladies for admittance to the most respected colleges and universities across the country. Our small classes average 13 students and are led by experienced faculty who love teaching the young women of Saint Mary's. Increased interaction with faculty and greater individual attention are hallmarks of Saint Mary’s School.
- Individualized Academic Programs: Create, with the help of teachers and an advisor, a personalized academic plan for high school (MAP or My Achievement Plan) that includes academic courses, extracurricular activities, leadership positions and community service. Our ATLAS tablet PC program provides students with a powerful learning tool that prepares the girls to work with the latest emerging technology.
- Life Skills and Values: Our COMPASS Curriculum, a four-year co-curricular program, equips each young woman with life skills and develops her independence. Saint Mary's offers the opportunity to Learn the skills and self-confidence needed to take on challenges, become comfortable speaking in public, manage personal finances, and become a healthy, active young adult.
- Leadership Development: Improve leadership skills through first-rate arts, athletics, student leadership, interest clubs, and other extracurricular programs. Studies have shown that an average of 80% of students who attend an all-girls’ schools hold leadership positions after they graduate from high school. (National Coalition of Girls’ Schools, www.ncgs.org, 2000)
- Community Connections: Take advantage of the exceptional people and universities in the Triangle that provide academic strength and urban opportunities. We offer internships and the ability to take college-level courses as needed through our relationships with local universities. Community service opportunities are avaialble through our partnerships with more than thirty local organizations.
- Heritage: Become a part of a 171-year-old tradition of academic excellence, honor, community, and opportunity for women to build friendships that will last a lifetime.
- School accreditations: SMS is a member of the National Coalition of Girls’ Schools, the National Association of Independent Schools, the National Association of Episcopal Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools, and The Association of Boarding Schools. The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Southern Association of Independent Schools.
Submit Review for Saint Mary's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12 | 171 students 91.3 miles500 East Salem Avenue
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Grades: 9-12 | 140 students 83 miles800 Chatham Hall Circle
Chatham, VA 24531
Grades: 9-12, PG | 167 students 225.9 milesP.O. Box 5555
Middleburg, VA 20118
Grades: 9-12, PG | 308 students 233.7 miles8328 Georgetown Pike
McLean, VA 22102-1200
Grades: 9-12 | 287 students 223.4 miles360 Asheville School Rd.
Asheville, NC 28806