Students pose on a couch in the Cobb Room. A painting of King George, who appointed the school's founder to the position of Lt. Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, hangs in the background.
Academy students are encouraged to pursue the arts in a variety of disciplines: film, photography, painting, ceramics, architecture, technical theater, drama, chorus, band, and orchestra.
Small classes allow students to receive the attention they need, to ask questions and take on challenges in a supportive environment.
Science classes usually involve labwork, the theoretical applied in hands-on learning. (Note the lab glasses atop the girls' heads.)
The Student Center is one of the most popular hubs of activity on campus. Two plasma televisions, a ping pong table, snack bar, computer stations and wireless internet access, two fireplaces and a book store make this an ideal home away from home for both day students and boarders.
Our tech theater program trains students to design and work lights and sound as well as build sets. Tech theater is offered as an afternon activity and as an art class.
At the Academy, no one falls through the cracks. Students participate in their learning every day in every class.
Our athletic teams are extremely competitive in the Independent School League, frequently winning championships and playing in post-season tournaments.
- Welcome to the oldest of the New England Boarding Schools.
- Established as Dumm'r Charity School in 1763 through a bequest from Massachusetts Bay Lieutenant Governor William Dummer, what is now called The Governor's Academy provided the foundation for the preparatory school tradition in America.
- Today, more than two centuries after its founding, The Governor's Academy continues this tradition of innovation through inventive, inspired programs that reflect the Academy's pioneering spirit.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
The Governor's AcademyClark University The Governor´s Academy was known as Governor Dummer Academy when I applied, and it was still known that way for part of my time as a student there. As such, my classmates and I. . .
(formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Alumni #1
Class of 2009
5 Stars 12/5/2016
The Governor's AcademyPrinceton One of the main things is that it has a block schedule, which makes it more like a college schedule while you are still in high school. Instead of having. . .
(formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Alumni #2
Class of 2007
5 Stars 8/1/2007
The Governor's AcademyAllegheny College GDA has many unique experiences to offer its students. However, I would say that the best thing about this small school is the people. In the dorms you not only live with your classmates, but. . .
(formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Alumni #3
Class of 2006
5 Stars 8/10/2006
The Governor's AcademyTrinity College There is a real sense of community at Govenor Dummer. The school is relatively small compared to many other schools and this allows the students to be familiar with everyone. Even as a senior, I. . .
(formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Alumni #4
Class of 2005
5 Stars 2/26/2006
The Governor's AcademyBoston College Governor Dummer Academy (GDA) benefits immensely from its talented and dedicated faculty. Nearly the entire faculty lives on-campus and all are constantly available to all students- both day and boarding. The faculty at. . .
(formerly Governor Dummer Academy) Alumni #5
Class of 2003
5 Stars 2/26/2006
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|The Governor's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||450 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||406 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$75 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$39,800||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||81%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Michael Kinnealey|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||31||23|
|Extracurriculars||Book Club, Chapel, Chorus, Christian Fellowship Club, Creative Writing Club, Debate Club, Drama Club, Entrepreneurship Club, Environment Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), German Club, Governor Dummer Honor Society, Harvard Model Congress, Health and Wellness Committee, History Club, Jewish Fellowship, NEXO (Latino and Hispanic students), Orchestra, P.R.I.D.E. (students of color), Peer Advisors, Poetry Society, Proctors for Mansion House, Student Center & Performing Arts Center, Productions Club, Project Outreach, Social Committee,|
|Year: 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York university (NYU)||5|
|Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)||3|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||2|
|University of Pennsylvania||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Academy offers a challenging, thought-provoking and student-centered curriculum that inspires a passion for learning. By focusing on the learning process and the development of 7 Essential Skills (http://www.thegovernorsacademy.org/page.cfm?p=2803), The Governor's Academy teaches students how to think critically, creatively, and independently. We encourage students to acquire knowledge through hands-on activity, multi-disciplinary inquiry, analysis and reflection. Many structures, including the advising system, extra help sessions, and evening study hours--supervised by dormitory parents--help students learn to study and manage their time well. Our goal is to teach young people to become actively accountable for their own learning and to grow by learning with others. Classes meet for 60- and 90-minute periods, affording students and teachers more opportunity to explore subject matter in depth, from different perspectives and with a variety of classroom activities. In addition to traditional assessments such as tests and papers, students debate, conduct hands-on laboratory and field experiments, make oral presentations, research in groups, use technology to create presentations, and design their own portfolios. Students and faculty bring to The Governor's Academy a richness of experience, perspective and diversity which adds immeasurably to the education of all. This is the spirit that inspires a community- this family- of learners. During the past decade, many new buildings have been erected or renovated, including the Math and Science Center, Library, Student Center, Performing Arts Center, renovated dining hall, new ice hockey arena, synthetic turf field and dormitory. For more information about admission, please contact Mike Kinnealey, Director of Admission, at email@example.com.
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges; Association of Boarding Schools
Submit Review for The Governor's Academy
(formerly Governor Dummer Academy)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
April 19, 2017
Get admissions officer's Clayton Johnston's perspective on how to choose the best boarding school for you.
April 19, 2017
Here are some answers to the more common concerns we parents have when our child goes off to boarding school.
April 19, 2017
In 1957-58 Peter Denis attended a boarding school in Switzerland. In this article he recounts his experiences for us.