60 Knox Lane
Wheeling, WV 26003
Wheeling, WV 26003
Gr: (Boarding) 7-12 | 445 students
The upper school prepares students for the rigors of higher education through a broad and extensive study in the core concepts required in all major academic disciplines.
The family-like atmosphere at our school helps students grow and develop under the guidance of faculty members who know them by name and care about their future. Our strong academic program provides students with an emphasis on foundational skills, a challenging college preparatory curriculum, and a commitment to lifelong learning necessary for success in college and beyond.
Linsly offers athletics for both Lower and Upper School students. Linsly's Upper School offers a superior athletic program, with more than 20 interscholastic teams competing in both the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference and the Interstate Prep. School League.
- "The Linsly School offers a traditional college preparatory program where academic excellence and character development are emphasized in every facet of student life.
- Located in Wheeling, WV Linsly is a co-educational day/boarding school providing a structured, disciplined program in a community environment that challenges young people to achieve their greatest potential.
- Enrolling 428 students in Grades 5-12, with 108 boarders in Grades 7 upward, Linsly emphasizes the liberal arts and sciences, enriched by opportunities for overseas travel/ study and a unique outdoor education program, The Linsly Outdoor Center.
- One hundred percent of graduates attend college.
- Campus activities include interest groups, community service, honor societies, musical productions and interscholastic sports...".
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|The Linsly School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||7-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||5-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||65 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||445 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1740||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
|Average Class Size||14 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$20 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||70%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Mr. Robert J. Zitzelsberger|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mrs. Stacey Creely|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||14|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||38||23|
|Extracurriculars||Advertising Staff, After School Art Club, Animal Shelter Club, Camera Club, Chess Club, Childrens Museum Club, Chorus, Classics Club, Environment Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Foreign Language Honor Societies, Forensics Club, French Club, German Club, History Club, Key Club, Lower School Band, Lower School Newspaper, Lower School Wing Society, Math Club, Model United Nations, Multicultural Club, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Outdoor Adventure Club,|
Did You Know?
- 100% of Linsly students matriculate at four year colleges or universities
- 64% of Linsly faculty members hold advanced degrees
- The oldest college preparatory school west of the Allegheny Mountains, Linsly emphasizes traditional values and character development
- Technology is an important aspect of the Linsly curriculum, with an average student to computer ratio of 3:1 Residence Life at Linsly
- Resident students at Linsly live in a warm neighborhood community that consists of dormitories and faculty residences
- The ratio of on campus faculty to resident students is one of the best in the country, 3:1
- Student dormitories are literally extensions of faculty homes
- Residence life at Linsly provides a structured, safe and disciplined environment
- Resident students and faculty members eat a sit down formal dinner together every evening
- Resident students have mandatory study sessions every evening supervised by faculty members
- Weekends for resident students include fun, organized activities such as trips to the local mall, visits to nearby Oglebay Park, and outings to the movies
- Student dormitories are wired for internet access Linsly Facilities
- Linsly's 65 acre campus includes top quality facilities including:
- The Williams Visual Arts Center, home to art studios, a ceramics room and a complete photography laboratory
- The Hess Center, a complete wood working shop
- The Stifel Field House, with regulation basketball courts, weight room, aerobics room and locker rooms.
- Linsly also has a swimming pool, refurbished science laboaratories and The Dlesk Conference Center and Linsly Museum for guests.
Submit Review for The Linsly School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 8-12, PG | 181 students 178.5 miles1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
February 03, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
February 03, 2017
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
February 03, 2017
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.