5.00 (6 reviews)995 Hopmeadow Street
Simsbury, CT 06070
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 390 students
Baxter Gallery is an inspiring space for English teacher Mrs. McGrath and her freshman (third form) students.
Two new dorms and another one in the works makes for a comfortable, safe and home-like atmosphere for students.
Here's Squibb House and faculty housing, part of the main residential 'quad' on campus, atop Williams Hill
Westminster School enjoys a reputation as one of the finest college-preparatory schools, and certainly one of the very top small boarding schools, in the country.
The challenging academic program, grounded in the liberal arts tradition, prepares students for academic success and the rigors of college while cultivating in them a love of learning that becomes a lifelong habit.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Elon The teachers are always available and more than happy to help any student with anything even if it's not for their specific class. The sense of community between the students, faculty, and staff is like. . .
- Connecticut College While Westminster, is a similar size to many schools, the general atmosphere on campus is one that cannot be replicated at any other school. The faculty and staff are committed to fostering relationships with the. . .
- University of Richmond Someone once said, " From the outside looking in, you can never understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never explain it." This holds true for Westminster's sense of Community. We are one. . .
- Washington and Lee University Westminster is uniquely a close knit community, which produces well rounded kids. Everyone must participate in an after school activity (usually sports, community service, theater) every day- 6 days a week. Family style dinners are. . .
- The George Washington University One aspect of Westminster that you might not find at larger boarding schools was its sense of community. Community is something that is emphasized at Westminster, and I definitely felt this way when I attended. . .
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 125 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Westminster School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||200 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||390 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1873||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Jackets and ties for boys, skirts/dresses or layers for girls.)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$92 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$34,480||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Average Percentile SSAT||69||-|
|Director of Admissions||Jon C. Deveaux|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Nick Wilbur|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||16|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP Comparative Government, AP Computer Science A, AP Economics (Macro & Micro), AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Latin, AP Music Theory, AP Physics-C: Mechanics, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: 2-D Design, AP Studio Art: Drawing, AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||30||23|
|Extracurriculars||A Capella, Band, Black & Gold (admission tour guides), Chamber, Chorale, Dance Club, Debate Club, Dramatics, Eco-Team, Gender Equity Club, Girls Club, Global Forum, Instrumental, Jazz Club, Jewish Student Organization, John Hay Society, Literary magazine, Model United Nations, Multi-Cultural Student Union, Seniors As Sisters, Serving Our Neighbors (S.O.N.), Ski and Snowboard Club, Student Activities Committee (S.A.C.), Student Government, The Martlet (annual magazine),|
|Year: 2005 - 2009||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Richmond||14|
|George Washington Univ.||12|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Westminster is a diverse, close-knit community of 95 faculty and 390 students (two-thirds boarding, one-third day) from across the country (23 states) and around the world (24 countries). Nearly one third of the students receive financial aid from the more than $5.1 million awarded each year.
- Westminster School, on its 200-acre campus overlooking the Farmington Valley, is a place where scholarship, citizenship, sportsmanship and leadership thrive. Admission is highly selective and based on more than excellent grades. We seek young men and women who have accomplished much already and who hold the promise of achieving more in an environment that simultaneously pushes and supports them.
- School accreditations: NEASC
Submit Review for Westminster School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
November 20, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.