501 Park Street North
St. Petersburg, FL 33710
St. Petersburg, FL 33710
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 425 students
Scuba is offered during the academic school day and students can earn Advanced, Master Diver, and Cavern diving certifications, among others. They travel the state of Florida to visit famous springs and popular dive sites.
Aviation, one of the many signature programs at Farragut, allows students to earn their Private Pilot's license and earn 5 dual enrollment credits at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the #1 aeronautical university in the United States.
Engineering courses such as Intro to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, and Civil Engineering & Architecture emphasize critical thinking, creativity, innovation and real-world problem solving.
Students use the school's waterfront boat basin during and after school or on the weekends for sailing, paddleboarding, kayaking, canoeing, tubing, fishing, or seine and cast netting.
There are a multitude of Upper School Clubs and new clubs may be started with enough student interest and a faculty/staff sponsor. An example of some current clubs: Key Club, Multicultural Club, National Honor Society / National Junior Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, Spoken Word Poetry Club, Book Club, Guitar Club, Drill Team, Dive Club, and Robotics.
Admiral Farragut Academy is a private, coed, international, day and boarding school located on beautiful Boca Ciega Bay in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Farragut delivers individualized education with hands on experiences, and offers signature programs such as Naval Science (Military), Aviation, Engineering, Marine Science, and Scuba.
Our faculty focus on developing the whole student and are involved in each student's life in and out of class. We represent students an average of 27 countries and we offer ESOL classes for non-English speakers.
Farragut also offers a fine arts program, 14 sports, sailing, weekend trips to Florida springs or Disney, and other extracurricular activities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Review #1 - Class of 2015Stanford University The most unique aspect of the school, would definitely be the Naval traditions and guidelines that the school follows. It. . .
- Review #2 - Class of 1980Columbia Southern University AFA was unique in that it's military background and focus, coupled with the Naval Science curriculum, helped establish in our. . .
- Review #3 - Class of 1980The Citadel Admiral Farragut Academy is a military naval preparatory high school located on the water in St. Petersburg, Florida. The cadets. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Admiral Farragut||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||35 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||425 students||295 students|
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Navy Jr. ROTC Uniforms)
|Average Class Size||15 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:17||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$4 million||$16 million|
(includes all meals)
|Tuition international students||$48,700||$47,425|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$6,000||$22,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Pamela Pardi|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||16|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Literature, English Literature & Comp, Environmental Science, Government/Economics, Microeconomics, Statistics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Riflery, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||23|
|Extracurriculars||Band, Book Club, Cheerleaders, Drama Club, Fellowship, Film Making Club, Guitar Club, Key, Leo, Multicultural, National, Poetry Club, Prom, Robotics, SCUBA|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Memorable Mentors
- We are not only a school, we are a home. Most of our students live here, as do many of our faculty and staff members. When we ask our students to describe Farragut in one word many say "family" and it's true. Our faculty and staff are much more - they coach your favorite sport, give advice when you need it, remember your birthday, join you and your friends at the dinner table, help with those tough assignments during nightly study hall, and truly care how you are.
- Life-Long Friendships
- Your classmates are also your roommates, study partners, and best friends. Boarding students go home with day students for the weekend and day students are often found on campus after school hours. Since our students come from all over the world, they share their cultures and languages with us and we share ours. When school's out friendship isn't over - these newfound friends visit eachother's homes whether it be across Florida, the United States, or on the other side of the world.Beautiful Weather
- Located on the gulfcoast in St. Petersburg, Florida you will find incredible tropical weather with an average of 74F (23C) and 361 days of sunshine a year. Our students sail, fish, kayak, and go to the beach ALL YEAR LONG!
- Unique Opportunities
- Learn about the world of aviation and earn your pilot's license; dive deep into marine science during scuba and oceanography class; make robots come to life in engineering; everyone finds their creative side in our fine arts program; play one of our 21 sports that welcomes all levels of athletic ability; head to the waterfront after school to sail, kayak, cast net, fish, and more; enjoy the weekends camping and diving the Florida springs, at one of the many Florida theme and water parks (Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea World, etc), enjoy shopping and dining at the local mall or Downtown St Pete, or relax on campus for our big screen movies and game nights.
- College Preparation
- Living in the dorms on our college-like campus gives students the tools to become independent, responsible young adults. They learn to manage their time and live harmoniously with others. Students note that living with peers pushes them to work harder than they would in another setting. The high school's Naval Jr. ROTC program provides academic structure and the tools to become organized, accountable, self-disciplined, and respectful to self and others. Leadership positions are earned based on qualifications, performance, and seniority which really makes college applications stand out. "College placement counselors tell me our kids interview well. Our students are poised, articulate, and demonstrate public speaking skills that most adults would envy." - AFA Headmaster, Robert Fine, Jr.
- Success in the Future
- The "Farragut Experience" (as our alumni call it) is unforgettable and the lessons learned are instrumental in their success today. Farragut is proud to say it has graduated TWO of the twelve moon-walking astronauts, Alan Shepard and Charlie Duke, as well as national leaders in the areas of finance, business, philanthropy, entertainment, and military officers.
- School accreditations: FCIS, SACS, TABS, SAIS, NAIS
Submit Review for Admiral Farragut Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 7-12, PG | 298 students 463.6 miles520 Hwy. 1 North
Camden, SC 29020
Grades: 6-12, PG | 320 students 813.2 miles200 Academy Drive
Front Royal, VA 22630
Grades: 7-12, PG| 1700 students 183.2 miles7400 San Jose Blvd.
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Jacksonville, FL 32217
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Grades: 9-12 | 814 students 951.8 miles1300 Academy Road
Culver, IN 46511
Grades: 6-12, PG | 100 students 804.5 miles614 South Main Street
Woodstock, VA 22664
October 14, 2016
"I'm wasting my time thinking about boarding school." No, you're not. Here's why.
September 19, 2016
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
September 14, 2016
Boarding schools are a subset of private schools which many people don't know much about. Here are five points to ponder as you research boarding schools.