5.00 (3 reviews)6155 Fountain Valley School Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80911
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 226 students
FVS takes advantage of its 1,100 acre campus by taking many classes outdoors. The School's signature Peaks, Prairies and Plateaus class weaves together science and history while Mr. Gustke's biology classes visit the prairie with butterfly nets often.
Fountain Valley School offers art classes in ceramics, painting/drawing, jewelry-making (metal-smithing), photography, and film. The Art Barn is dedicated solely to the pursuit of these passions.
The School's English riding team has won two Interscholastic Equestrian Association national titles (2007-2010), and sends riders to nationals every year. There is also a robust Western riding program.
Fountain Valley has gorgeous adobe residence halls where groups of 16-20 students live with a houseparent. It's your home away from home.
Every season at Fountain Valley School has its own beauty. Here students gather outside in September.
Interim is one of the most meaningful experiences students will have at FVS. Every March, groups head off on experiential learning adventures across the United States and the world. Service and learning are core components, along with fun!
"Fountain Valley School attracts success-oriented students who thrive in the small class environment, and would like to live and learn in a community that is defined by opportunities and accomplishments...".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Colorado at Boulder There is a required trip the week before spring break where you can go to the Bahamas to learn about marine life, go to China, France, New Orleans, and many other places. The majority of. . .
- University of Colorado Denver FVS is extremely unique in the sense that it allows students to engage in not just one aspect of life. There is a really healthy balance between academic, athletic, and artistic activities in the schedule. . .
- Colorado College The location in the Rocky Mountain west is unparalleled. The amount of experiential learning that can occur both on campus and in the amazing nature that surrounds our region is unique to FVS. The Western. . .
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 126 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Fountain Valley||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||1100 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||226 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1800||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1643 - 2024||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$38 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$57,625||$47,425|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$22,700||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kila McCann|
|Associate Director of Admissions||O'Neal Turner|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||16|
|Courses||2-D Studio Art, 3-D Studio Art, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese Lanaguage, Computer Science A, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, Physics C, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Diving, Equestrian, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32||23|
|Extracurriculars||Academic Honor Society, Admission Ambassador, Art Barn Assistants, Athenaea (student newspaper), Big/Little Siblings, Biomedical Sciences Club, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Christian Fellowship Club, Community Service Council, Conservation Corps, Film Club, French Club, Global Affairs Forum, Guitar Club, Hispanic Honor Society, Instrumental, International Student Club, Jazz Club, Language Clubs and Honors Societies, Matchwits, Math Club, Mt. Bike Weekend, Music Importers Club, Round Square Club, Ski/Snowboarding Club,|
|Year: 2013 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Colorado||18|
|University of Denver||9|
|University of Puget Sound||7|
|Colorado State University||6|
|New York University||5|
|Mount Holyoke College||3|
|University of California, San Diego||3|
|University of Illinois||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Fountain Valley School attracts success-oriented students who thrive in the small class environment, and would like to live and learn in a community that is defined by opportunities and accomplishments.
- At FVS students pursue challenges that hold promise and rewards well beyond a successful college career. The School's academic, arts and athletic programs are greatly enhanced through experiential learning opportunities in the West. Such diverse learning opportunities are unique among the nation's independent secondary schools.
- For 86 years, a Fountain Valley education has been characterized by close interactions with a dedicated and accomplished faculty, and a community environment in which students make lasting friendships. The association with FVS community is a lifetime connection that is maintained and renewed because of the shared belief in the importance of the School's mission. Take a look at FVS from the sky in our drone videos by alumnus Max Seigal '06
- School accreditations: Association of Colorado Independent Schools
A View From the Sky
Athletics in the Fall
Submit Review for Fountain Valley School of Colorado
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 46 students 200.2 miles454 Academy Drive
Durango, CO 81301
January 12, 2017
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
January 10, 2017
Boarding schools have their own jargon just like any activity or affinity group has.
January 04, 2017
There's a lot involved in selecting the right boarding school. Don't forget these ten important things when you apply.