5.00 (5 reviews)PO Box 2006
Kent, CT 06757
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 570 students
Kent's Pre-Engineering certificate program is a unique opportunity for hands-on exploration in Robotics, Manufacturing Engineering and Computer Programming.
For over 100 years, Kent has followed our school motto: Simplicity of Life, Directness of Purpose and Self-Reliance.
Located in the Northwest corner of Connecticut in the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains along the banks of the Housatonic River, Kent is rich in tradition and innovation.
Founded by an Episcopal monk, we maintain our affiliation with the church while developing to address the changing world our graduates enter.
570 girls and boys excel in our rigorous academic environment with the help of knowledgeable, supportive teachers.
Many of our faculty have advanced degrees and our average tenure is more than a dozen years.
Students prepare for the world`s top colleges and universities with an extensive liberal arts curriculum and competitive art, music and athletic programs.
We study in 27 AP subjects, rare courses like Mandarin Chinese, Irish Drama, Genetics & Biotechnology, our new Pre-Engineering program and our extensive club and extracurricular offerings.
A Kent student`s days are filled with opportunities to learn and grow, both inside and outside of the classroom.
We come from 35 states and 40 countries.
90 percent of students live on campus.
Our faculty largely live here, too and together build our active, engaging campus community seven days a week.
In fact, service to the community is a significant part of life at Kent.
Temperantia, Fiducia, Constantia.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Eckerd College The physical campus and surrounding areas of Kent School truly brought the campus to another level that few other schools had. The campus itself is set up so that the academic and residential buildings are. . .
- Vanderbilt University While Kent School fits the mold of a traditional boarding school, one thing that really sets us apart is the setting. Nestled in Housatonic Valley, students are always within a 5 minute walk of each. . .
- Johns Hopkins University The school has designated time periods every week that are similar to office hours called "Conference Periods." During these time periods I found a method of connecting with my teachers and better understanding the academic. . .
- Southern Methodist University The relaxed attitude of the student body leads to a comfortable work atmosphere. Unlike the stories I hear of other schools, as a student at Kent I never felt that I was in competition. . .
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill I found that Kent was a great blend of academics, athletics, arts, and fun social life. It was truly possible to do it all - be in the honors classes, play varsity athletics, go to. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Kent School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||1200 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||570 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||25||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$80 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$35,100||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||70||-|
|Director of Admissions||Sarah Gleason Ross|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||57||23|
|Extracurriculars||Amnesty International Club, Animal Rights Club, Art Club, Bell Ringing Guild, Buddhist Club, Chapel, Chess Club, Club Soccer, Club Squash, Club Tennis, Coding Club, Concert Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Diversity Club, Environment Club, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), Fitness Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Habitat for Humanity, Heifer International, Hillel Society, International Club, Investment Club,|
|Year: 2013 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||15|
|George Washington University||14|
|University of California at Berkeley||10|
|Hobart and William Smith Colleges||8|
|United States Naval Academy||8|
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges, National Association of Independant Schools, National Association of Episcopal Schools
Submit Review for Kent School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
November 20, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.