5.00 (2 reviews)1500 West Kennedy Road
Lake Forest, IL 60045
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 430 students
An average class size of 12 students and a faculty to student ratio of 7:1, LFA provides an intimate and engaging learning environment.
The Lake Forest Academy school year begins with the annual All-School Handshake, whereby everyone at the school - faculty, staff, and students - shake hands with everyone else.
100% of our graduating seniors are college bound, and they often have their choice of the best colleges in the nation.
Everyone at LFA (students, faculty, and staff) belongs to one of four houses - Bird, Lewis, Sargent, or Welch. The four Houses compete in a series of mini competitions throughout the year and the House that earns the most points WINS!
LFA offers a variety of performing arts opportunities through courses, extra-curricular groups and the Arts Concentration. Some of the musical groups include Coax (rock band), VOX (glee club), choir, orchestra, and jazz band. Students also have several individual and small group performance opportunities throughout the year.
About half of the student body lives on campus in one of five dormitories. Over 80% of faculty live on campus and serve as dorm parents, building strong relationships with students inside and outside of the classroom. LFA offers an extensive weekend activity schedule so students can relax with their friends both on and off campus.
LFA offers 27 sports during the three athletic seasons in addition to PE options such as yoga, bowling, dance, and fitness.
The Cowart Media Commons includes a Mac computer lab, color printer, 3-D printer, small recording studio, and a large collection of DVDs and video games for students to check-out. The Media Commons is open for students to use throughout the day as well as during Study Hours from 7:30-10:00pm.
LFA has developed an innovative class schedule that rotates classes and allows for non-class time within each student's school day. This schedule adds an energizing twist to each student's school day and offers free periods to get a head start on homework, attend a club meeting, get extra help from a teacher or just hang out with friends.
Lake Forest Academy is an independent, co-educational, 9-12 college-preparatory school for boarding and day students located on 150 acres in the Chicago suburb of Lake Forest.
Lake Forest Academy strives to embody in its practices and to cultivate in its students excellence of character, scholarship, citizenship, and responsibility.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of California, Irvine One of the most unique things about Lake Forest Academy are the state of the art facilities. Many buildings have been added and renovated since my time attending, and the campus truly is remarkable now. . .
- Northwestern University Lake Forest Academy is a caring and nuturing place to learn. Each student is assigned to an advisor. Students meet in advisories. Advisors serve as mentors to students, monitor students' academic progress as well as. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Lake Forest Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||150 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||430 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$30 million||$16 million|
(International students pay an additional $2000)
|Tuition international students||$2,100||$47,425|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Average Percentile SSAT||63%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Carolyn Gorowski|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Caroline Pugliese|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||16|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language and Culture, AP Computer Science, AP Economics, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, AP Latin Vergil, AP Music Theory, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, AP World History, Formal Logic, Multivariable Calculus|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||14|
|Sports||Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Cycling, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||38||23|
|Extracurriculars||African American Heritage Choir, Asian Exploration, Black Awareness Club, Bridge Club, Caxy Keys, Chess Club, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Co-ak - LFA's rock band, Cooking Club, Cultural Diversity Club, Current Events Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Foreign Film Club, Forensics Club, Free the Children, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Global Awareness Club, History Club, Interact Club, Investment Club, Japanese Club, Knitting Club, Lacrosse,|
|Year: 2010 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign||23|
|New York University||9|
|University of California Los Angeles||8|
|George Washington University||7|
|University of Michigan||7|
|Washington University in St. Louis||7|
|Carnegie Mellon University||6|
|University of Pennsylvania||6|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Lake Forest Academy is located on a beautiful 150 acre wooded campus in the northern Chicago suburb of Lake Forest. The campus features academic buildings, residence halls, a gymnasium and ice hockey rink, playing fields and faculty homes.
- LFA's mascot is the Caxy, which is ancient Greek for the croaking sound made by a frog.
- 82% of the Faculty live on campus and 75% of our faculty members have a Master's degree or higher
- Lake Forest Academy offers 21 Advanced Placement courses, 27 varsity sports, and a wide range of artistic options.
- 100% of our graduating seniors matriculate to college.
- LFA graduates attend the best colleges in the country, including Babson, Bowdoin, Brown, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, George Washington, Northwestern, Stanford, University of Chicago, UCLA, University of Michigan, Williams, as well as many other excellent colleges and universities.
- Many extracurricular opportunities are offered, including student-run clubs, newspaper, yearbook, student dances, and many trips off campus to places like Chicago and Milwaukee.
- Lake Forest Academy is a diverse community - we have students from all corners of the globe. 26% of our students come from outside the United States.
- The LFA student body represents 14 states and 37 countries.
- We are committed to making this education affordable. 33 percent of the student body receives financial aid..
- Important Traditions at LFA:
- Move-Up Day
- Move-Up Day began as a tradition at Ferry Hall in 1906, originally called Ivy Day, commemorating the annual planting of Ivy at the base of Smith Hall. Over time, this tradition evolved into its current form, usually being held the day before Graduation. Departmental awards and speeches are given, and at the end of the ceremony, each class is invited to "move up" and literally take the place that they will occupy the next year: seniors move to sit with the alumni, juniors take the former spots of the seniors, and so on.
- All-School Handshake
- At the beginning of each year every student, faculty member, and administrator gathers in the formal gardens and participates in the all school handshake. The entire school arranges themselves in a line around the periphery of the Formal Gardens and the Head of School begins by shaking the person's hand next to him. As he moves down the line the next person shakes his hand, and the next, and the next. The procession behind the Head Master snakes around until every member of the school shakes the hand of everyone else.
- The House Cup
- The House Cup Competition was established under Dean Colley Bell in 2004. The students are divided up into four houses (Lewis, Sargent, Welch, and Bird) and compete in various events throughout the year. The house with the most event points at the end of the year gets their name inscribed on a trophy that is located in Reid Hall, and the colors of their team are used in the student handbook.
- School accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Submit Review for Lake Forest Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
January 17, 2017
Applying to boarding school requires completing a sheaf of forms. We look at how to accomplish this important task.
January 17, 2017
Sending your son or daughter to a progressive school sounds like a real leap of faith. It is, that is, until you look more closely at the kind of education your child will receive. Then you will understand the idealism in action which progressive schools embody.
January 16, 2017
Here are 10 facts about boarding schools which the schools want you to know. If you are considering sending your child to boarding school, this data and information will address some of your concerns.