Watch School Video
- 1. Class of 2007, enrolled at Northern Arizona University
- 2. Class of 2005, enrolled at Stanford University
- 3. Class of 2002, enrolled at School of the Museum of Fine Arts/ Tufts University
- 4. Class of 2000, enrolled at Reed College
- 5. Class of 1996, enrolled at George Washington University
Top 10 Placements: Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 10 schools with < 200 students (out of 102 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
| 2013 School Data
Verde Valley School
Boarding School Avg.
|School Focus||College Preparatory||College Preparatory|
|Support for ADD/ADHD Students||No||No|
|Campus Size||175 acres||124 acres|
|Enrollment||102 students||300 students|
|Percent Students of Color||12%||18%|
|Percent International Students||50%||20%|
|Percent Students Boarding||84%||67%|
|Average SAT Score||1700||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||22||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||26||14|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||29||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||75%||65%|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$4 million||$15 million|
|Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students)||$43,000||$46,900|
|Yearly Tuition (Day Students)||$23,750||$26,110|
|Percent Students on Financial Aid||38%||35%|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Jenifer Gill|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Trina Lacey|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses:
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||26||14|
|IB Higher Level Biology||IB Higher Level Ceramics|
|IB Higher Level Drawing||IB Higher Level English Literature|
|IB Higher Level French||IB Higher Level German|
|IB Higher Level History of the Americas||IB Higher Level Mathematics|
|IB Higher Level Music||IB Higher Level Painting|
|IB Higher Level Photography||IB Higher Level Social and Cultural Anthropology|
|IB Higher Level Spanish||IB Higher Level Theatre|
|IB Standard Level Ceramics||IB Standard Level English Literature|
|IB Standard Level Environmental Systems and Societies||IB Standard Level French|
|IB Standard Level German||IB Standard Level History of the Americas|
|IB Standard Level Mandarin an initio||IB Standard Level Mathematics|
|IB Standard Level Music||IB Standard Level Painting|
|IB Standard Level Photography||IB Standard Level Spanish|
|IB Standard Level Theatre||Theory of Knowledge|
|Total Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||13|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||24|
|Hiking||Horseback Riding (Western)|
|Horsebackriding (English)||Model United Nations|
|Mountain Bike Riding||Newspaper/Yearbook|
|Road Biking||Rock Climbing|
|Strength & Conditioning||Tai Chi|
- Verde Valley School is situated among the majestic mountains of Sedona, Arizona, providing inspiration for artistic and musical expression. The natural beauty surrounding the campus also serves as a natural classroom for unique field-based learning experiences, including anthropological and geological studies.
- Verde Valley School is one of the few boarding schools in the U.S. to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme curriculum as its sole curriculum to 11th and 12th grade students.
- We have an exciting and diverse studio and performing arts program. Students participate actively in the official governance of our school, and with faculty, perform much the physical labor maintaining the campus.
- Graduates of Verde Valley School are individuals who are ethical, possess a strong sense of personal and social responsibility, are skilled in ways that enable them to participate effectively in community building and decision making, appreciative of the dignity of physical work, open to the discovery and enduring satisfactions of artistic creation, knowledgeable about the depth and range of our shared cultural heritage, prepared for entry into the university of their choice, generous in spirit, mindful of the importance of citizenship and ready to practice its privileges and obligations.
- School accreditations: International Baccalaureate World School, and the North Central Association
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- David Calley '81 - is the co-founder of Southwest Windpower of Flagstaff, a company designed to produce energy at a reasonable cost and to make the knowledge and the equipment available globally.
- Celia Lowenstein ’71 - is an awarding-winning producer/director whose films are regularly shown at international film festivals and screened on television channels around the world. She has lectured in film studies at Oxford University.
- Jean Strouse '63 - is the author of Morgan, American Financier (1999) and Alice James, A Biography (1980), which won the Bancroft Prize in American History and Diplomacy.
- Rick Ridder '71 - is the co-founder of RBI Strategies & Research, consultant to national presidential campaigns.
- Ramona Sakiestewa '66 - is one of Native America's most influential artists
- Chris Horner '71 - is a film-maker, writer, photographer and designer
- Benson K. Whitney '74 - served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Norway under Presidents Bush and Obama
- Carol Tantau '63 - is a leader in domestic violence prevention.
- Phil Noyes '84 - is a documentary filmmaker and producer at PBS.