5.00 (6 reviews)1960 Cate Mesa Road, P.O. Box 5005
Carpinteria, CA 93013
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 280 students
- Founded in 1910, Cate School is a grade 9-12, coeducational, college preparatory boarding school in Carpinteria, California.
- What began as a group of twelve boys and a few teachers has expanded into a 280-student, 70-teacher, deeply academic and talented community with the most diverse student body of any boarding school of its size in the United States.
- One of the most experienced and committed teaching faculty in the country: 82% hold advanced degrees, 18% of these have PhDs.
- Cate is one of this nation's most selective boarding schools, accepting under 20% of our applicants each year.
- 60% of Cate's most recent graduating class attend the 25 top-ranked colleges and universities in the country and 18% went to Ivy Leagues and Stanford.
- The Cate experience combines academics, athletics, art and co-curricular activities in a close-knit, community setting where students are enriched by their relationships with their teachers and each other.
- When students leave Cate, they have the tools and the conviction to seek out lives full of purpose and meaning.
- College admissions offices often report back that Cate students are among their schools' brightest, most dynamic, and intellectually curious individuals.
- Mission: Through commitment, scholarship, companionship, and service, each member of the Cate community contributes to what our founder called: "...the spirit of this place...all compounded of beauty and virtue, quiet study, vigorous play, and hard work.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Yale University On the surface Cate is defined by its dedicated commitment to service (the school motto is "Servons" meaning "to serve"), its more casual and down-to-earth California vibes, and its interest in the outdoors as a. . .
- Brown University At Cate I engaged with learning in a completely different way. I entered Cate thinking that the best thing about this kind of education was it would get me into a good college and therefore. . .
- College of William and Mary The word, I feel, that always describes Cate best is "community." I left my local public high school to attend Cate because I wanted to be in a residential high school community, and that's exactly. . .
- Reed College Community is a key aspect of the Cate experience. Being a Cate student means living in a community of well-rounded people who are all striving to create an atmosphere that is conducive to the development. . .
- University of Pennsylvania Cate is a unique place because it focuses so much on the idea of the community. Because Cate is such a small school, students are constantly interacting with the faculty and it is easy to. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 324 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Diversity High percentage of students of color
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth High # of AP/advanced courses offered
- Student Test Scores High average SAT scores
- Student Test Scores High SSAT scores
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Cate School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||150 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||280 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2098||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1970 - 2260||-|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||51||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$90 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$49,000||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||83%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Charlotte Brownlee '85|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Gwendolyn Pierce|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||51||16|
|Courses||Advanced Art (A and AB), Advanced Art History, Advanced Biology, Advanced Calculus 1 (AB), Advanced Calculus 2 (BC), Advanced Ceramics, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Chinese: Chinese Cinema, Advanced Chinese: Literature, Advanced Chinese: The Chinese Idiom, Advanced Choral Music: Camerata, Advanced Computer Science, Advanced English 11, Advanced English 12, Advanced French: Language Studies, Advanced French: Literature Studies, Advanced Global Systems, Advanced History: Anthropological Perspectives, Advanced History: Comparative Revolutions, Advanced History: Modern Middle East, Advanced History: Modern Presidency, Advanced Mechanics with Calculus, Advanced Molecular Genetics, Advanced Multivariable Calculus, Statistics, and Linear Algebra, Advanced Photography, Advanced Physics: Astrophysics, Advanced Physics: Electronics, Advanced Physics: Mechanics, Advanced Spanish: Hispanic Cinema, Advanced Spanish: Language Studies, Advanced Spanish: Literature Studies, Advanced Spanish: Magical Realism, Advanced Spanish: Master Works of Spanish Literature, Advanced Statistics, Advanced Studio Art, Advanced U.S. History, Directed Studies, Japanese 4, Senior Inquiry Project|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||14|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Surf Team, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||42||23|
|Extracurriculars||Alianza (Latino Student Alliance), American Sign Language, Black Student Union, California Mathematics League, Camerata, Cate Artists' Theatre, Cate Liberals League, Cate Repbulicans, Cate Review (Literary Magazine), CateNet Masters, Chamber, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Chorale, Cultural Awareness Club, Dance Club, Digital Art, El Batidor (school newspaper), Environment Club, Foster Homes (community service), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Green Team, Holiday Cheer (Community Service), International Student Club, Invisible Children, Jazz Club,|
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||20|
|University of Southern California||17|
|University of Pennsylvania||13|
|University of Chicago||11|
|Santa Clara University||7|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- With more than 150 courses offered, the goal of the Cate curriculum is to teach students to think and to develop in them a lifelong love of learning. Cate graduates consistently enroll in the country`s top colleges and universities. Cate strongly values diversity. Our student body is comprised of 45% students of color. We enroll boys and girls from 29 states and 18 countries. Our commitment to socio-economic diversity is evidenced by a financial aid budget of more than $3,500,000.
- School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Submit Review for Cate School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 03, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
February 03, 2017
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
February 03, 2017
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.