1960 Cate Mesa Road, P.O. Box 5005
Carpinteria, CA 93014
Carpinteria, CA 93014
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 280 students
Founded in 1910, Cate School is a grade 9-12, coeducational, college preparatory boarding school in Carpinteria, California.
What began as a group of twelve boys and a few teachers has expanded into a 280-student, 70-teacher, deeply academic and talented community with the most diverse student body of any boarding school of its size in the United States.
The faculty are experts in their fields: 74% hold advanced degrees, 18% of these have PhDs.
Cate is one of this nation`s most selective boarding schools, accepting under 20% of our applicants each year.
52% of Cate's most recent graduating class attend the 25 top-ranked colleges and universities in the country.
The Cate experience combines academics, athletics, art and co-curricular activities in a close-knit, community setting where students are enriched by their relationships with their teachers and each other.
When students leave Cate, they have the tools and the conviction to seek out lives full of purpose and meaning.
College admissions offices often report back that Cate students are among their schools' brightest, most dynamic, and intellectually curious individuals.
Mission: Through commitment, scholarship, companionship, and service, each member of the Cate community contributes to what our founder called: "...the spirit of this place...all compounded of beauty and virtue, quiet study, vigorous play, and hard work.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Review #1 - Class of 2010College of William and Mary The word, I feel, that always describes Cate best is "community." I left my local public high school to attend. . .
- Review #2 - Class of 2010Reed College Community is a key aspect of the Cate experience. Being a Cate student means living in a community of well-rounded. . .
- Review #3 - Class of 2005University of Pennsylvania Cate is a unique place because it focuses so much on the idea of the community. Because Cate is such. . .
- Review #4 - Class of 2004University of Virginia The unique outdoors program at Cate makes the school stand out among its peers. Required week long trips at the. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 323 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Cate School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||150 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||280 students||295 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1990||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1840 - 2150||-|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||51||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$80 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$49,000||$22,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80||-|
|Director of Admissions||Charlotte Brownlee '85|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Gwendolyn Pierce|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||14|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Surf Team, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||41||23|
|Extracurriculars||Alianza (Latino Student Alliance), American Sign Language, Black Student Union, California Mathematics League, Camerata, Cate Artists' Theatre, Cate Liberals League, Cate Repbulicans, Cate Review (Literary Magazine), CateNet Masters, Chamber, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Chorale, Cultural Awareness Club, Dance Club, Digital Art, El Batidor (school newspaper), Environment Club, Foster Homes (community service), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Green Team, Holiday Cheer (Community Service), International Student Club, Invisible Children, Jazz Club,|
|Year: 2009 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||22|
|University of Southern California||17|
|University of Chicago||11|
|University of Pennsylvania||9|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- With more than 101 courses offered, the goal of the Cate curriculum is to teach students to think and to develop in them a lifelong love of learning. Cate graduates consistently enroll in the country`s top colleges and universities. Cate strongly values diversity. Our student body is comprised of 42% students of color. We enroll boys and girls from 29 states and 18 countries. Our commitment to socio-economic diversity is evidenced by a financial aid budget of more than $3,200,000.
- School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Submit Review for Cate School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12 | 250 students 17.5 miles5025 Thacher Road
Ojai, CA 93023
Grades: 9-12 | 413 students 101.3 miles1175 West Baseline Road
Claremont, CA 91711
Grades: 9-12| 750 students 204.9 miles3152 Forest Lake Road
Pebble Beach, CA 93953
Grades: 9-12, PG | 862 students 2558.3 miles333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
Grades: 9-12, PG | 650 students 2563.6 miles7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
October 14, 2016
"I'm wasting my time thinking about boarding school." No, you're not. Here's why.
September 19, 2016
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
September 14, 2016
Boarding schools are a subset of private schools which many people don't know much about. Here are five points to ponder as you research boarding schools.