101 West College Blvd, Roswell, NM 88201 - Map
Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 870 students
New Mexico Military Institute is the nation's only State-supported, fully integrated nationally accredited co-educational college preparatory military boarding school for grades 9 - 12 and university parallel military junior college. Academic excellence, leadership and character development, and physical fitness are the focus of the NMMI experience for all cadets under the motto: "Duty, Honor, Achievement." An embedded US Service Academy Preparatory Program continues to produce outstanding nominees for the 5 Service Academies.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms
| 2012 School Data
New Mexico Military
Boarding School Avg.
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered.||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Support for ADD/ADHD Students||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||300 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||870 students||300 students|
|Percent Students of Color||40%||18%|
|Percent International Students||17%||19%|
|Percent Students Boarding||100%||67%|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||23||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Less than once a month|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:12||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||100%||65%|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$31 million||$14 million|
|Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students)||$11,732||$44,700|
|Yearly Tuition (Day Students)||n/a||$24,600|
|Percent Students on Financial Aid||75%||33%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,000||$19,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||LTC Jeffrey Savage|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Ms. Stacie Smith|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Total Interscholastic Sports Offered||12||13|
|Cross Country||Drill Team|
|Track and Field||Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||48||24|
|African American Student Alliance||Arabic Cultural Role Playing|
|Astronomy Club||Athletic Trainer Squad|
|Bataan Memorial March - SROTC||Big Brother/Big Sister|
|Bronco Yearbook||Centennial Flame Guard|
|Drama Troupe||Etiquette Committee|
|Fencing||First Tee Program of the PGA|
|Goss Rifle Team||HAM Radio Club|
|High & Low Ropes Course||HOSTS Program (Community Service)|
|Information Technology Club||Jazz Band|
|Martial Art/Self Defense||Math & Science Club|
|Mc Bride Rifle Team (Air Rifle)||Mexican Club|
|National German Honor Society||National Honor Society|
|Old Post Chronicles Newspaper||Pacific Islander Club|
|Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society||Photo Squad|
|Regimental Band||Shakespeare Festival|
|Ski Club||Speech & Debate|
|SPIRIT Club||Swimming Club|
|The Maverick Magazine||USAFA Falcon Club|
|Weightlifting Club||Yoga Club|
10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Established in 1891, NMMI is the only State-supported co-educational college preparatory military boarding high school (grades 9-12)and junior college in the nation. Directed by the Enabling Act of the State of New Mexico to "provide military education and training for the youth of the country," NMMI is nationally recognized for its outstanding academic, leadership and character development, and physical fitness programs.
- NMMI is a Land Grant institution which enables the school to provide a high quality education for an affordable price, and awards over $2M in endowed scholarships annually with Federal Financial Aid available at the college level.
- NMMI normally enrolls 984 cadets representing all regions of the United States and 15 to 20 foreign countries
- Ninety-five percent of all NMMI graduates, both high school and junior college, go on to premier 4-year colleges and universities such as Princeton, Cornell, Stanford, Texas, Temple, VMI, The Citadel, and the nation's Service Academies.
- NMMI offers the largest, most successful Service Academy Preparatory Program that sends almost 100 cadets annually to our nation's five Service Academies. During the school year, over 300 NMMI alums are attending a Service Academy of their choice.
- As a military junior college, NMMI offers the nation's largest most successful US Army ROTC 2-Year Early Commissioning Program. NMMI's graduates of the ROTC program are commissioned as 2nd Lieutenants with the obligation to complete their bachelor's degree at an accredited institution within the following 3 years.
- NMMI's alumni excel at the local, state, national, and international levels, and include such notables as: Conrad Hilton, Sam Donaldson, ABC News, Chuck Roberts, CNN Senior News Anchor, Owen Wilson, Actor and Academy Award Nominee, John "Red" Morgan, Medal of Honor Recipient, 23 General and Flag officers of the Military Services, including former Presidential Advisor LTG Gordon Sumner and Director of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, VADM Patrick Hannafin, and numerous CEOs and executive of large corporations.
- The NMMI Corps of Cadets administers and enforces the Cadet Honor System based upon the Cadet Honor Code established in 1921 by unanimous vote of the Corps of Cadets. The Cadet Honor Code states; "a cadet will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do."
- School Accreditation and Memberships: North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (College Preparatory High School); Higher Learning Commission (Junior College); Higher Learning Commission Academy for Assessment of Student Learning; Association of Military Colleges and Schools of the United States (AMCSUS); New Mexico Department of Higher Education; New Mexico Activities Association; College Board; American Council on Education; Association of Governing Boards; National Association of Campus Activities; North Central Conference of Summer Schools; New Mexico Association of Community Colleges; American Association of Community and Junior Colleges; National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA); Western Athletic Conference NJCAA; National Honor Society (HS); Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society (Jr. Col); National German Honor society; US Army Junior ROTC; US Army Senior ROTC; CharacterCounts!; First Tee Program of the Professional Golfers Association.
- The NMMI 300-acre campus, 21 major buildings, parade field, playing and practice fields, and golf course, is designated a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.
- NMMI cadets consistently perform better than the national and state averages on the ACT, and taking the ACT is a graduation requirement for all NMMI high school seniors with the test scores submitted to the university of their choice. NMMI cadets may also take the SAT for submission to those universities that require the test for admission. NMMI offers an ACT/SAT preparation program each semester.
- School accreditations: North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; Association of Military Schools and Colleges of the United States;
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Conrad Hilton - Founder Hilton Hotels
- Roger Staubach - US Naval Academy Graduate, NFL Football Hall of Fame, Heisman Trophy Winner
- Victor Lowndes - Co-founder Playboy Enterprises
- Anthony Principi - former Secretary of Veterans Affairs, US Naval Academy Graduate
- Honorable Frank White - former governor of Arkansas
- Bill Daniels - Daniels Foundation, father of cable TV in America
- Austin Cushman - former CEO Sears
- Owen Wilson - Writer/Producer/Actor, Academy Award Nominee
- Norm Brinker - former CEO Pillsbury, CEO/Owner Chili's
- LTG Gordon Sumner, USA Ret - Presidential Advisor, US Army General Officer