Riverside Military Academy - Review #4
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||Bethel College(now Bethel University|
|Home Town, State (Country)||Charleston, , WV|
|Years Attended Boarding School||3|
|Activities During Boarding School||I placed JV football and ran track while at Riverside. . I was in the band and served as field director my senior year.|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
Riverside is arguably the finest military boarding school in America. RMA has modern,and overall superior facilities,with ever expanding opportunities to utilize them. The faculty is carefully screened in order to have great academics. All of the fine arts programs are nurtured in an environment that brings out the best in its participants. A new gymnasium,a complete track and football facility,and tennis courts are present. The Nautatorium is an outstanding facility and is the envy of many schools. Discipline, attention to duty, respect for others,courtesy and pragmatism are well stressed.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
I believe the best things were strong discipline, and the formation of some friendships that are still strong 46 years later
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
Don't try to be a know- it - all. When I got to RMA, I found out quickly what I did NOT know.?
4.) What did you like most about your school?
I love sari reside Military Academy because it taught me how to manage time, be pragmatic and get things done in a timely fashion. I developed some strong friendships there.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
Come prepared to follow instructions and to, learn if one bucks the system there, it will buck you. My favorite snack was an order of fries with mayonnaise, and cherry flavored Vicks Cough Drops. Of course a cold Coke hit the spot.
1.) Describe the academics at your school - what did you like most about it?
Riverside taught a cadet how to study. The chance to stay in one's room for evening study was an incentive. If a cadet failed one subject,a two hour study hall was conducted. If a student failed 2 subjects, the cadet had to attend the night study hall and a required study hall in the afternoon,while others enjoyed free time of about an hour. If academics were more in jeopardy, a Sunday night study hall was conducted. Grades were posted each Saturday morning, and report cards were sent home accordingly.
1.) Describe the athletics at your school - what did you like most about it?
Track, football, basketball, wrestling, tennis, swimming and rifle teams were active. I liked staying in shape and generally having fun. There was a mandatory intramural athletic period if one was not participating in a varsity sport.
1.) Describe the arts program at your school - what did you like most about it?
The music program and dramatics are vastly superior now to what the were when I attended RMA, but they were good even in my day. I liked participating in band - a lot better than drilling with an M1 rifle.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
At the time I attended Riverside,it had two campuses. One was in Gainesville, Ga and(( fall and spring) and the winter months were spent in Hollywood Fla. There were vast differences. Gainesville was a rural North Georgis town, There were a variety of stores and restaurants there, On Sunday's after church, some of us would go to the old Dixie- Hunt hotel and send the bills home to our parents. In Hollywood Fl, there was a mall located within easy walking distance from campus. We got to go to the beach three to four times a week.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
In Gainesville,there was Brenau Academy ( a female boarding school. In Hollywood, Fl , there was the mall and the beach. There was a strong Union among the cadets,which made it a very cohesive student body.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Belmont university Riverside Military Academy was one of the best experiences of my life. It taught me the values of hard work and camaraderie. Along with giving me the opportunity to travel across three nation and. . .
- Georgia Institute of Technology Ricerside is an all-male Military Academy so there is mandatory participation in the JROTC program 24/7. So the structure and disciplinary aspects of the school certainly help graduates stand out, especially if they have any. . .
- Appalachian State University The ROTC program helped shape the framework of how Riverside operates, and as a "Military Academy" it of course had to have that component. This really helped with the direction the education took as well. . .
- Bethel College(now Bethel University Riverside is arguably the finest military boarding school in America. RMA has modern,and overall superior facilities,with ever expanding opportunities to utilize them. The faculty is carefully screened in order to have great academics. All of. . .
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute Cadets at RMA were responsible for many aspects of day-to-day life including discipline, dorm conduct, military drills and inspections all focused on leadership development. . .
April 20, 2018
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
March 22, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.