5.00 (3 reviews)101 West College Blvd
Roswell, NM 88201
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 871 students
The Centennial Flame honoring all NMMI alumnae past and present burns brightly to underscore the Institute motto: Duty, Honor, Achievement.
- New Mexico Military Institute is the nation's only State-supported, fully integrated nationally accredited co-educational college preparatory military boarding school for grades 9 - 12 and university parallel military junior college.
- Academic excellence, leadership and character development, and physical fitness are the focus of the NMMI experience for all cadets under the motto: "Duty, Honor, Achievement." An embedded US Service Academy Preparatory Program continues to produce outstanding nominees for the 5 Service Academies.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- New Mexico Military Institute New Mexico Military Institute (NMMI) is one of the few schools that is Army based, High School and Junior College, as well as Early Commissioning Program (ECP) Senior Reserved Officers Training Corps (SROTC). As a. . .
- N/A New Mexico Military Institute is special because it has been around for 125 years and the barracks (dorms) are considered a national monument. They can only be repaired, not taken down. This makes the living. . .
- New Mexico Military Institute The school is unique because since it is a military institute it teaches you to have a balance between academics social life and the military life. There are so many activities to do either alone. . .
Top 20 Placements
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 327 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Boarding Focus High percentage of boarding students
- Diversity High percentage of students of color
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Affordability High percentage of students on financial aid
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
- Faculty Education High percent faculty with advanced degrees
- Offering Breadth High # of AP/advanced courses offered
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|New Mexico Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||11-12|
|Campus Size||300 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||871 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||23||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(All students wear a military uniform in class.)
|Average Class Size||15 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||209||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$45 million||$16 million|
(19,854.00 North American Rate)
|Tuition international students||$22,858||$47,400|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$3,000||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Mar. 1 / Jul. 10 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||50%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Kalith Smith|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||209||16|
|Courses||Students are eligible to dual enroll in college courses.|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cycling, Drill Team, Fencing, Football, Golf, Marksmanship, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||45||23|
|Extracurriculars||African American Student Alliance, Astronomy Club, Athletic Trainer, Bataan Memorial March - SROTC, Big/Little Siblings, Bronco Yearbook, Centennial Flame Guard, Chess Club, Choir, Chorus, CLOSE UP, Color Guard, Constabulary, Drama Club, Etiquette Committee, Fencing Club, First Tee Program of the PGA, Goss Rifle Team, HAM Radio Club, High & Low Ropes Course, HOSTS Program (Community Service), Information Technology Club, Jazz Club, Martial Art/Self Defense, Math & Science Club,|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Established in 1891, NMMI is the only State-supported co-educational college preparatory military boarding high school (grades 9-12)and junior college in the nation. Directed by the Enabling Act of the State of New Mexico to "provide military education and training for the youth of the country," NMMI is nationally recognized for its outstanding academic, leadership and character development, and physical fitness programs. NMMI is a Land Grant institution which enables the school to provide a high quality education for an affordable price, and awards over $2M in endowed scholarships annually with Federal Financial Aid available at the college level. As of 2015, our student body comes to NMMI from 40 states and 33 foreign countries. Approximately 98% of our students go on to college. Many go on to elite colleges across the country. As of 2015, our student to faculty ratio is approximately 10:1 with 23% of our tenure track faculty holding terminal degrees in their field and 89% holding Master's degrees. At NMMI high school students can take college courses from college professors that transfer for college credit to colleges across the country. NMMI's alumni excel at the local, state, national, and international levels, and include such notables as: Conrad Hilton, Sam Donaldson, ABC News, Chuck Roberts, CNN Senior News Anchor, Owen Wilson, Actor and Academy Award Nominee, John "Red" Morgan, Medal of Honor Recipient, 23 General and Flag officers of the Military Services, including former Presidential Advisor LTG Gordon Sumner and Director of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, VADM Patrick Hannafin, and numerous CEOs and executive of large corporations. The NMMI Corps of Cadets administers and enforces the Cadet Honor System based upon the Cadet Honor Code established in 1921 by unanimous vote of the Corps of Cadets. The Cadet Honor Code states; "a cadet will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do." NMMI is fully accredited by AdvancEd at the High School level and by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools at the college level. School Memberships: Association of Military Colleges and Schools of the United States (AMCSUS); New Mexico Department of Higher Education. The NMMI 300-acre campus, 21 major buildings, parade field, playing and practice fields, and golf course, is designated a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.
- NMMI cadets consistently perform better than the national and state averages on the ACT, and taking the ACT is a graduation requirement for all NMMI high school seniors with the test scores submitted to the university of their choice. NMMI cadets may also take the SAT for submission to those universities that require the test for admission. NMMI offers an ACT/SAT preparation program each semester.
- School accreditations: North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; Association of Military Schools and Colleges of the United States;
Submit Review for New Mexico Military Institute
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12 | 65 students 714.3 miles1880 Washington Ave.
Lexington, MO 64067
Grades: 9-12 | 25 students 1038.9 miles294 Lustre Road
Lustre, MT 59225
March 16, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
March 15, 2017
"Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you..." Brought to you by Boarding Schools in the USA
March 15, 2017
North American boarding schools regularly send admissions staff overseas to hold recruitment fairs in your area.