5.00 (4 reviews)285 Cory's Lane
Portsmouth, RI 02871
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 360 students
Portsmouth Abbey School is a Catholic, co-educational boarding and day school for students in grades 9 through 12.
The school is located on a beautiful 525-acre campus along Narragansett Bay, just a few miles from Newport, RI. For 90 years the Abbey`s liberal arts curriculum has been preparing students for lives of significance and purpose.
This education is grounded in the Western intellectual tradition and teaches students to solve problems, communicate ideas, work together, and innovate.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Arcadia University At Portsmouth Abbey School, the community is so engrained with basic Benedictine values that are so evident in the vibe of the campus. When yo was around everyone says hi to each other and is. . .
- Bowdoin College One thing that makes us unique from other schools is our religious aspect. We were founded by a Benedictine Catholic monastery that still is active, and it influences campus life. We have mass every Sunday. . .
- Tufts University Portsmouth Abbey is located right alongside Narragansett Bay. The location sets it apart from any other schools because of all the unique opportunities of a bayside campus. On any given warm spring or fall day. . .
- Ohio State University Portsmouth Abbey, located on the gorgeous Rhode Island coast overlooking Narragansett Bay is alone in its communal culture. While other boarding schools offer the same aspects of community, I maintain that Portsmouth Abbey creates a. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Portsmouth Abbey||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||525 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||360 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1858||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1660 - 2122||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$44 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$37,500||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||72%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Steve Pietraszek|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Wallace Gundy|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||16|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science A, English Language and Composition, European History, French Language and Culture, Latin, Music Theory, Physics C, Spanish Language and Culture, Spanish Literature and Culture, Statistics, United States History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32||23|
|Extracurriculars||A Flats, girls' a capella group, Abbey Singers, Appalachia Service Project, Astronomy Club, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Christian Community Service, Classics Club, Cultural Awareness Club, Debate Club, G Sharps, boys' a capella group, Horseback Riding, Jazz Club, March for Life Group, Model United Nations, Movie Club, New England Math League, Peer Tutors, Ping Pong Club, Pro Deo, orchestra, Radio station, WJHD, Red Key, campus tour guides, Saint Gregory's Alms, Scriptorium, scholarly journal, Social Committee, Spanish Club,|
|Year: 2013 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of the Holy Cross||4|
|The George Washington University||4|
|University of Notre Dame||4|
|Carnegie Mellon University||3|
|University of Pennsylvania||2|
- The aim of Portsmouth Abbey School is to help young men and women grow in knowledge and grace. Grounded in the Catholic faith and 1500-year-old Benedictine intellectual tradition, the School fosters:
- Reverence-for God and the human person
- Respect-for learning and order
- Responsibility-for the shared experience of community life
- Part of our mission is to live in a community that values each of its members our similarities and differences. This enables students to better understand themselves and the world around them. Our students thrive in this environment and can take full advantage of the spiritual, athletic, artistic, and service options that exist on our campus and beyond. This sense of community is strong and vibrant easy to feel although sometimes challenging to put into words.
- We celebrate our achievements and we offer help to those in need in an effort to make this a more gracious community. We invite you to learn more about Portsmouth Abbey School in the following pages and our website; but most importantly please come and see it for yourself.
- School accreditations: NEASC, TABS, NAIS
Submit Review for Portsmouth Abbey School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
January 12, 2017
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
January 10, 2017
Boarding schools have their own jargon just like any activity or affinity group has.
January 04, 2017
There's a lot involved in selecting the right boarding school. Don't forget these ten important things when you apply.