Meriden, NH 03770
Top 10 Placements:
Listed among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 119 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2013 School Data
|Kimball Union||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Preparatory||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||1300 acres||124 acres|
|Enrollment||324 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||6%||18%|
|% International Students||25%||20%|
|% Students Boarding||66%||67%|
|Average SAT Score||1660||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Acadmics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||19||15|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||70%||65%|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$20 million||$14 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||47%||35%|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,000||$19,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Richard Ryerson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||19||15|
|AP Art History||AP Biology|
|AP Calculus (AB)||AP Calculus (BC)|
|AP Chemistry||AP Environmental Science|
|AP European History||AP French|
|AP Human Geography||AP Language and Composition|
|AP Latin||AP Literature and Composition|
|AP Physics||AP Spanish|
|AP Statistics||AP Studio Art|
|AP US History||AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||13|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||49||24|
|Extracurriculars||Animal Husbandry, Art Activity, Art Room Monitor, Broadcasting, Building Planning Committee, Classical Music Ensemble, Concordians A Capella, Day Student Proctor, Daycare volunteer, Economics Club, Environmental Club, Equestrian, Fire Brigade, Fitness, Gay Straight Alliance, Honor Board Proctor, Instructional Golf, Instructional Skiing, Intramural Sports, Jazz Ensemble, Library Monitors, Literary Magazine, Math Team, Mock Trial, Model U.N.,|
|Year: -||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1813, Kimball Union Academy is the 15th oldest boarding school in the United States and a preferred choice for students seeking a traditional preparatory education that integrates innovative academic programs and cutting-edge technology. We balance our challenging, dynamic curriculum with excellent programs in athletics and the arts. Each student has the opportunity to discover and develop their passions while preparing for college and beyond.
- Our beautiful 1300 acre-campus is in the picturesque village of Meriden, NH, 20 minutes from Dartmouth College. Bus, train, and plane terminals link us directly with Boston, New York City, and Manchester, New Hampshire. KUA offers over 100 courses in disciplines including English, History, Mathematics, Science, French, Spanish, Mandarin, Latin, and Visual & Performing Arts (including19 Advanced Placement (AP) and honors courses in every subject area). The average class size is 12 with a student-faculty ratio of 6:1. Kimball Union’s Learning Center is staffed with highly-qualified learning specialists and tutors prepared to help each student find their path to success.
- At KUA, technology provides a launching point for innovative instruction and a transformative educational experience. That begins with SMART Boards™ in every classroom and the KUA 1-to-1 Laptop Program that puts a laptop in every student’s hands.
- An extensive array of performing and visual arts is offered both within the curriculum and as extra-curricular activities in our spectacular Flickinger Arts Center. After the class day, students may participate in arts activities including pottery, dance, and theater. Students may also choose from a variety of community service offerings. Our Environmental Club, award-winning S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) team, and Economics Club attract many students. Leadership opportunities are available to every student, including school governance, mentoring, and involvement with clubs and organizations.
- KUA’s athletic offerings include hockey, alpine, Nordic and freestyle skiing, snowboarding, basketball, cycling, mountain biking, field hockey, lacrosse, equestrian, soccer, baseball, softball, rugby, cross country, tennis, golf, and fitness training.
- We offer in-depth social programs and foster a strong sense of community. The Upper Valley region, enhanced by neighboring Dartmouth College, provides countless opportunities to extend learning outside the traditional classroom setting on our campus and beyond.
- Facilities include a modern dining hall and campus center, a beautiful arts center, newly- updated SMART™ classrooms with state-of-the art technology, an environmental science center and greenhouse, athletic center and hockey arena, indoor and outdoor turf fields, fitness center, tennis courts, library, multi-media classroom, and technology labs.
- Kimball Union’s highly qualified and dedicated faculty is committed to serving our students and families. Our faculty members get to know each individual student – in the classroom, as dorm parents, coaches, and mentors. These close relationships and the individual growth our students experience during their time here are hallmarks of a Kimball Union education.
- Kimball Union’s mission is to “…prepare students for the challenges of tomorrow’s world by inspiring academic mastery, creativity, responsibility, and leadership.” Members of our community are guided by our Honor Code, which reflects our core value and promotes honesty, compassion, and mutual respect.
- School accreditations: NEASC
Canaan Cardigan Mountain School
Andover Proctor Academy
Saxtons River Vermont Academy
New Hampton New Hampton School
Plymouth Holderness School