172 Ash Street
Winchendon, MA 01475
Winchendon, MA 01475
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 250 students
- The Winchendon School, a coeducational, multicultural, private boarding and day community, provides students a dynamic and forward thinking environment in which to develop strong character, essential study skills, and learning strategies that propel each student to achieve academic and personal success.
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|The Winchendon||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||326 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||250 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1620||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||7 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||7||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$25 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,000||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Lesley Nesbitt|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Thomas Hamilton|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||23|
|Extracurriculars||Aerobics, Chorus, Community Service Club, Cycling, Dance Club, Drawing, Fun Fitness, Global Buddies, Hiking Club, Horseback Riding, Jazz Club, Judicial Board, Literary, Model United Nations, Newspaper, Organic Farming, Outdoor, Painting, Photography, Pottery, Sculpture, Student Government, Triathlon Training, Winch Singers|
|Year: 2000 - 2004||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Rhode Island School of Design||3|
|UMASS - Amherst||3|
- The Winchendon School, a coeducational multicultural community, provides college-bound students of good character and promise with the essential study skills and learning strategies that will propel each student to achieve academic success. Winchendon is located on 326 acres, including an 18-hole Donald Ross designed golf course, playing fields, baseball diamond, a spacious gymnasium with two sprung-hardwood floor basketball courts and a fitness area with new cardiovascular equipment, a new state-of-the art ice hockey arena, and tennis courts. Facilities include several academic buildings, including the new Rhoads Building, comfortable dormitories, a beautiful New England dining hall, a Digital Resource Center, and extensively renovated buildings for the visual and performing arts. Students are attracted to, and thrive at Winchendon, because of its unique academic approach, focusing on instruction in essential study skills and learning strategies in every class. Students learn how to study, with content woven into this instruction. Our small, seminar style classes, averaging six to eight students, provide individual attention to assure that students understand the material and are able to ask questions. Our structure and supportive environment, with daily conference periods, advisor meetings, and written real-time feedback, are helpful for students to know how they are progressing and how they can improve. Our multicultural community, with 21 countries and 16 states represented, provides enriching opportunities for students to understand and celebrate many different cultures and customs.
- Our school's philosophy, which limits class size, is reflected in the design of the academic room- all are of seminar size. The deciding factors enabling a student to enter Winchendon are academic potential and good character. Upon entry, each student is administered diagnostic tests, which along with interviews, allows us to identify the best program for the student. When indicated, such a program may include remedial or tutorial sessions in order to aggressively address weaknesses in study skill areas. The stress on individual attention includes a daily review of achievement between student and advisor, and weekly reports to parents. The highly individualized approach succeeds in sending most members of each year's graduating class on to college.
- Our school provides a structured environment, promoting traditional standards of behavior and comportment (dress code, no-smoking policy). Equally important are those elements of school life which prepare the student to meet his or her responsibilities as a mature citizen. All students have the opportunity to become involved with Student Government, Dormitory Proctorship, Judicial Board, and other student-faculty committees. Each student is required to participate in the sports program in each season. Athletic facilities include several playing fields and a gymnasium. The school also uses the town's Wendell P. Clark Athletic Center with its covered hockey rink and Olympic-sized swimming pool.
- School accreditations: NEASC, NAIS, TABS
Submit Review for The Winchendon School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 03, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
February 03, 2017
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
February 03, 2017
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.