Darlington School - Review #8
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||Vanderbilt University|
|Home Town, State (Country)||Dalton, GA|
|Years Attended Boarding School||4|
|Activities During Boarding School||I was involved in Varsity Wrestling and Tennis (Manager). The YMCA (Vice President), Honor Council, Dance Committee, Class Officer (Vice President), Yearbook (Editor), Drama and Magazine.|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
My experience at Darlington was excellent. I was an only child who was suddenly thrown into an environment where I had 30 brothers with whom I lived with on the floor and a roommate, whom I had never meet before. But turned out to be my roommate for all four years of high school and has been one of my closest friends ever since. You grow up quickly and learn to work with and share your space with others. You learn how to study on your own. The teachers live on the same floor or in the same building or on the campus and you get to know them and their families thus developing a relationship with them that you will not find in the usual high school. With all of the above, you get an education that prepares you for both college and your future life. The school offers you the opportunity to get to know people from other cultures, countries and religions, which gives you a well rounded experience. You have the chance to work with local organizations who address some of the needs of society that many high schoolers have never have seen before in their lives. Darlington's campus is a beautiful setting and gives the student an opportunity to really grow and develope.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
The opportunity to develop my leadership skills and build great confidence in my ability to do what ever one wants to do in life. And added plus was to get to know my roommate who became one of my closest friends and remains so today some 30 plus years later even though we live hours apart.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
I wouldn't change a thing. The one piece of advise I would give some one going there today, would be to get to know your faculty and resident advisors as soon as possible and get involved in everything and study hard. Be open to your new life. Enjoy yourself.
4.) What did you like most about your school?
The students and faculty.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
No, it has been too long since I was there and lots has changed, but if they still offer a "toasted notice" at the school store, have one for me. It was a honey bun, toasted with butter melted on top of it.
1.) Describe the arts program at your school - what did you like most about it?
Drama was the area that I really enjoyed. I worked on the sets and lights and still remember to this day when we put on a Charlie Brown play and how we did the cartoon strips and worked the spot lights. It was an experience.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
Rome, GA is a small town and so you got to know it very well and you became friends with the Day Students and learned more about the local culture. We traveled to Atlanta for big events or professional sports events as well.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
Social life was active as the school with a number of dances and other activities. My fondest memories were actually the after the dance, when the Dance Committee came back to the gym and took down all the decorations and cleaned up, while someone went to the local fast food resturant and brought back tons of burgers and fries and drinks.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Georgia state University The campus is breathtakingly beautiful. Complete with its own lake and full brick buildings from the dorms to the classrooms. There was never a dull day on campus because just sitting out around with friends. . .
- Birmingham Southern College Walking onto the campus and seeing the beautiful architecture and landscape of Darlington is absolutely a highlight of the school. You feel like you've been transported somewhere incredibly quaint and special. One thing that I. . .
- University of Kentucky I thought it was very unique how my school would pair boarding students with families of day students who lived in the area and attended the school in order to give the boarding students opportunities. . .
- Georgia Southern University Darlington School equipped me with the tools necessary to be not only successful in college, but in life. I feel that I was prepared to step out into the world and be a confident contributor. . .
- COLUMBUS STATE UNIVERSITY The care and attention I received at darlington was amazing. There was no time to be home sick! The day students embraced me as a local and in addition to advanced studies, I learned how. . .
October 24, 2017
How to handle five basic challenges involved in choosing a boarding school.
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.