5.00 (9 reviews)
1014 Cave Spring Road, SW
Rome, GA 30161
Rome, GA 30161
With 26 varsity and 12 junior varsity teams, Darlington's athletic program offers something for everyone. Additional options include year-round sports academies for golf, soccer and tennis and a club rowing team.
Darlington's vibrant fine arts program features a multitude of offerings in drama and musical theater, visual arts, choral music, instrumental music, and communication arts.
Darlington's expansive curriculum includes unique offerings such as Robotics, which is supported by a MakerSpace.
Founded in 1905, Darlington School is located on a 500-acre campus in Rome, Ga., that features a small lake and six miles of wooded trails.
For students who are serious about golf, soccer or tennis, Darlington offers three specialized, year-round athletic academies that develop players to reach their maximum potential. This unique combination of intensive athletics and rigorous academics is designed to prepare students for collegiate opportunities.
Darlington School is a culturally diverse learning community, representing an average of 30 countries and 25 states each year.
- Founded in 1905, Darlington School is an independent, coeducational, college-preparatory school for students in pre-K through grade 12, with boarding in grades 9-12.
- The school offers motivated students rigorous academics, numerous fine arts opportunities and a competitive athletics program in a nurturing environment.
- Our students are the center of all that we do, and together, we empower them to learn with passion, act with integrity and serve with respect.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Georgia state University The campus is breathtakingly beautiful. Complete with its own lake and full brick buildings from the dorms to the classrooms. There was never a dull day on campus because just sitting out around with friends. . .
- Birmingham Southern College Walking onto the campus and seeing the beautiful architecture and landscape of Darlington is absolutely a highlight of the school. You feel like you've been transported somewhere incredibly quaint and special.One thing that I. . .
- University of Kentucky I thought it was very unique how my school would pair boarding students with families of day students who lived in the area and attended the school in order to give the boarding students opportunities. . .
- Georgia Southern University Darlington School equipped me with the tools necessary to be not only successful in college, but in life. I feel that I was prepared to step out into the world and be a confident contributor. . .
- COLUMBUS STATE UNIVERSITY The care and attention I received at darlington was amazing. There was no time to be home sick! The day students embraced me as a local and in addition to advanced studies, I learned how. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Darlington School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||500 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||758 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1530 - 1940||-|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(khaki shorts/skirts and polo)
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$33 million||$17 million|
|Tuition international students||$54,860||$47,425|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,255||$22,700|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Derek Perkins|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mark Tunnell|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus (AB), AP Calculus (BC), AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP Government, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics B, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||42||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
"D" Club, "Y" Cabinet, Chess Club, Environment Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Georgia Junior Academy of Science, Governor's Honors, Honor, House Senate, IMPACT International, International Thespians, Jabberwokk, Junior State of America, Math Team, Outdoor Club, Prefect Program, Scholar Bowl, SOAR, Spanish Club, Technology Club, The Darlingtonian, The Inkslinger, Tiger Experts (admissions liaisons), Young Democrats, Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
Concert Club, Darlington Players, Instrumental, Jazz Club, Ladies' Chorale, Lessons Academy, Men's Chorale, Orchestra, Set Crew, The Darlingtones, The Random Notes
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Coosa International Tennis Academy, Coosa Junior Golf Academy, Darlington Diamonds (dance team), Fitness Club, Intramural Sports, Soccer Academy
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- For over a century, students from Rome, neighboring towns in Georgia, and an average of 15 states and 20 countries have joined the Darlington family each year. Darlington's proven track record in preparing students well for college, its impressive facilities, and its wide array of academic, artistic, athletic and social opportunities make it stand out as one of the top day and boarding schools in the country. Stretching for 500 acres, Darlington`s campus is nestled around a small lake in the foothills of the Lookout Mountain Range in Rome, Georgia, a medical center and college town 65 miles northwest of Atlanta. But more significant are the friendly spirit of the school and its long history of challenging students to learn with passion, act with integrity, and serve with respect. Darlington graduates men and women who exemplify the school's motto: Wisdom more than Knowledge; Service beyond Self; Honor above Everything.
- LD types supported: Depends on testing
- School accreditations: SACS/SAIS TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Gov. S. Ernest Vandiver Jr. ('36) - Former Gov. of Georgia
- Cy Twombly ('47) - Contemporary artist whose work can be found in the Guggenheim, the National Gallery of Art, and the Museum of Modern Art.
- Dr. John Ochsner ('44) - International medical leader, who has served in many prominent roles including President of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery and President of The International Society for Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Stephen D. Potts ('34) - Served as Director of the Office of Government Ethics under President George H.W. Bush and President William Jefferson Clinton.
- Tom Cousins ('48) - Founder of Cousins Properties Inc.
- Will Muschamp ('90) - Head Football Coach, University of Florida
- James L. Dickey III ('42) - American poet, novelist, critic, athlete, and hunter with bow and arrow; best-known from his novel
- Jennifer Wysocki ('90) - Emmy award-winning producer, creator and current host of television's
- Elson Floyd ('74) - President of Washington State University
- Submit Review for Darlington School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12 | 160 students 53.1 miles1701 Brandon Hall Drive
Atlanta, GA 30350
February 05, 2018
Small class sizes are one of the main reasons why you send your child to boarding school. Here's why small class sizes work.
January 12, 2018
December 22, 2017
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.