Deerfield is a place of modern, dynamic scholarship.
Through an ever-evolving curriculum, Deerfield offers tools and teachers that encourage curiosity and entrepreneurial leadership in its diverse student body.
Students` grit and determination is fortified with the support and collaboration of other scholars, as they examine the world`s most pressing problems, together.
Deerfield`s program is enhanced by an abundance of events, clubs, invited speakers, global trips, and community-wide activities-all in support of a rigorous yet collaborative, hardworking yet joyful, student experience.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Brown One unique aspect of living in the Pioneer Valley is all the outdoor activities that come along with it. Whether it be biking, hiking to the rock, running the small loop, or swimming in the. . .
- Harvard University Deerfield is smaller than many other boarding schools in New England, leading to a very tight-knit community. Each student gets to know people in every grade level very well. The tradition of sit-down meals help. . .
- Dickinson College Deerfield has a very student-centered learning environment that encourages students to learn to ask for help and use all the resources available to them. Deerfield also has “feeds,” when the hall associate on duty for a. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Deerfield Academy is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 306 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most sports offered
- Offering Breadth High # of AP/advanced courses offered
- Student Test Scores High average SAT scores
- Student Test Scores High SSAT scores
- School History Oldest founding date
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Deerfield Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||330 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||648 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1400||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$532 million||$23 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$47,080||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||86%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Charles F. Davis, Jr.|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Allison DiNardo|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||41||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Albany Road, Lit Magazine, Alpine Skiing, Amnesty International, Angling Club, Arabic Club, Asian Students Association, Ballet, Ballroom Dancing, Black Student Alliance, Black Student Coalition, Cheerleaders, Chinese Club, Chorus, Christian Fellowship, Christian Fellowship Club, Classical Music Society, Classics Club, Community Service, Computer Club, Dance, Debate Forum, Deerfield Scroll, Diversity Club, Environmental Action Group, Fire Department Volunteers, Food Club, Knitting, Poetry Night, Residence Hall Student Government, Sage Literary Magazine, Ski/Snowboarding, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Animal Rights Club, Aquarium Society, Asian Student Association, Chess, Current Issues Speakers Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Archery Club, Basketball, Fly Fishing Club
|Year: 2006 - 2010||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Univ. of Penn||29|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Deerfield Academy accreditations: NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- King Abdullah - King of Jordan
- John McPhee - Author
- Buddy Teevens - Collegiate football coach
- Matthew Fox - Actor
- Submit Review for Deerfield Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Families who live outside the United States and who are not American citizens or Permanent Residents have to deal with a couple of additional steps when thinking of sending their children to an American boarding school.
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
Are you wondering whether boarding school is right for your child? Answer these five questions and you will be better able to determine whether it is.